Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 15, 2006   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default This years future harvest

These are some of my container plants, all looking great so far.
Kimberly as of today. It was the first to set fruit but the fruit doesn't seem to grow any bigger. Maybe I'm impatient!

Sophie's Choice is catching up, these fruit are bigger and set a good week or so later than Kimberly:

Rinaldo looking good:

Ernesto too:

This wonderful mass is Rinaldo/Ernesto side by side:
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006   #2
creister
Tomatovillian™

Kimberly was also the first to set fruit for me, and seems to be growing ever so slowly also.

My Sophie's Choice is really starting to load up on fruits. I hope it keeps setting, as we are forecasted for about 8 straight days in the 90's. Too hot for this time of year. I am also growing SC in a 5 gal bucket.

Ernesto and Rinaldo, are they large indet. types? How well do they produce in the 5 gallon buckets?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006   #3
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Sophie's Choice was a big winner for me last year both in taste and production. I grew it on recommendations from many here (well, GW at the time) and it will be a staple in my garden for earlies.

Bully sent the Rinaldo and Ernesto seed and I haven't grown them before. I have high hopes since they have decided to set fruit already. I want them for sauce and they come with a great resume. Who better to recommend a sauce tomato than Bully's Italian neighbor?? Sounds like they are good for eating on the plate as well but my intentions are sauce.

As far as the 5-gallon buckets, I've had decent results in the past with both deter and indet varieties. I could probably say more after this year since I've got several varieties in buckets that I also have in the garden. I do know that my container plants look healthy and are either blossoming or setting like gang busters but you have to consider also that they are right next to the house in their own little subclimate. I'll let you know, though.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote