Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 7, 2011   #61
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Damon,

Yep. Took it there first (RV Cloud) thinking this place could certainly fix me up. Bottom line, they suggested I try OSH. Left really bummed out.

OSH couldn't cobble together the conversion parts either.

Anybody want an unused $34.00 Ice Maker filter???

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #62
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

http://www.amazon.com/Drip-Irrigatio.../dp/B0035YJJJ6

and with this

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDAQ8wIwAg#

then link the barbed ends with 1/4 irrigation tubing ( or aquarium hose or windshield washer hose.

that is all from less than three mins searching on Google.

you are using a water hose and then going to what size irrigation hose?

Did you look in the irrigation section of Lowe's or Home Depot they have a wall of all kinds of fittings and adapters. Like I said I was just there last night at lowe's and pretty sure they have the fittings you would need.

I know they had a hose end to 1/4" fitting in fact here it is

http://www.lowes.com/pd_9728-1029-ML...d=1115067&Ns=p
Old March 7, 2011   #63
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Stephen,

The Google link you gave me would solve one problem in adapting the Watts filter to a 1/4 I.D. connector.

However, the drip irrigation components use a 1/4" O.D. dimension, so these components will not work.

The other concern is that I am feeding 31 EarthTainers through this one filter, and with only a 1/4" orifice, can enough water flow through the restriction of only 1/4"?

I've just found a comparable Watts filter on Amazon that has the garden hose connections:

http://www.amazon.com/Watts-520338-L...9481612&sr=8-1

Wish I had found this model to begin with two years ago.

Raybo
Old March 7, 2011   #64
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Raybo and others,
Thanks for the info on filters. Do you, Raybo, or anyone else know for sure whether municipal water with chloramine/chlorine will kill the beneficials in Actinovate, Mycogrow, Biotamax? (Spending another $30 on top of the cost of the beneficials isn't all that appealing if the beneficials will work even with the chlorine/chloramine)

Tom
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #65
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

The water passing through soil will remove the chlorine/chloramine relatively quickly, but it still may destroy some surface biologicals. I wouldn't worry too much about it in a garden planted in the ground, as filtering may have a high cost for little benefit. For watering seedlings though, and water you are adding beneficials to, probably a good idea to filter or otherwise treat.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #66
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

Someone else with accurate knowledge will have to answer your question. My personal view is that spending $30.00 for a filter that removes many of the "artificial" chemicals that municipal water systems put in for drinking safety, is not that expensive, considering a 5 year lifespan of the filter in typical gardening applications. Whatever I can do to recreate rain water-like properties at a reasonable cost, I will give it a go.

Also, another "tip" when watering in the Mycos, I always buy a couple gallon jugs of Crystal Geyser or other cheap brand of bottled water specifically to avoid killing off the (good) bacteria, etc. in the Mycos you've just paid good money for, if you had used tap water.

Raybo
Old March 7, 2011   #67
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

What filter can you get with the needed adapters, for $30.00, and they are certified for what flow rate? Here also it would have to deal with 80 psi normal pressure. Normal irrigation valves seem to have a higher failure rate than they would at lower pressures, and they are rated up to 150 psi. We have to replace the 25 psi pressure regulators for drip irrigation pretty much every year.
Old March 7, 2011   #68
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

kevin,

Click on the Amazon link above in my post #63. $29.35 including shipping, and it even comes with quick connect / disconnect connectors.

I am using a 25psi pressure regulator in front of the filter, as flow rate for my automated drip system will work well with low flows of water through the filter.

Raybo
Old March 8, 2011   #69
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

Hear your point on the cost of the filter....but still wish someone who really knows for sure would jump in here.

Do have a question for you: you said you had just installed the filter you showed in the picture....what were you filtering with before?

Tom
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #70
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

I was not using a water filter previously, so this year's crop and taste will be interesting.

Raybo
Old March 8, 2011   #71
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Well, I have a new product I may want to use when I plant out in a couple of days and would love to have everyone's feed back. The fellas at the hydroponics store were going crazy over Oregonismsxl. I hope that you are able to make out the contents from the picture.

If I were to use this product in a tainer or two for an experiment, would it take the place of any of the following products I have to use this year:
Bioatamax, Mycogrow, actinovate? Appreciate your input, as always.

Dewayne mater.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oregonismxl.jpg (127.4 KB, 123 views)
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #72
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne,

Can you either take a close up of the back of the package - - or list out the ingredients? Roots Organics is a well respected product line in the Hydro biz. - - But pricey.

Raybo
Old March 8, 2011   #73
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Ray - what you see in the picture attached is what there is. When I open it, I can see the ingredients, but I'm on a 27in screen. Does it need to be bigger?
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #74
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne,

I'm on a 14" Laptop and can't read the detail. Maybe Ami will be able to read the label and comment back to you.

Raybo
Old March 9, 2011   #75
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

from the site on the label for metals info, they have listed all the info on the label:
http://oda.state.or.us/dbs/heavy_met...roduct_id=6487

the product site is
http://www.aurorainnovations.org/oregonism_xl.html

Directions
Add entire package to 1 gallon of water
Use 1/4 cup of solution per 1 gallon container

For Transplanting
Sprinkle 1 Tbs. Directly onto roots