Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old January 22, 2013   #1
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Default Edamame ?

Has anyone tried the edible soybeans. I grew them last year but had very poor yield. However, my kids seemed to love them and asked that they be included this year. One thing I did read is that the rhizobia that colonizes soybeans is not native to North America and I'm wondering if that has something to do with my poor yield. I have found special soybean innoculant for commercial growers, but nothing in the size for someone who just wants to plant a few rows.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Has anyone tried the edible soybeans. I grew them last year but had very poor yield. However, my kids seemed to love them and asked that they be included this year. One thing I did read is that the rhizobia that colonizes soybeans is not native to North America and I'm wondering if that has something to do with my poor yield. I have found special soybean innoculant for commercial growers, but nothing in the size for someone who just wants to plant a few rows.
The same inoculants that are available for other peas and beans should also also work on soy.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2013   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Mr Baron,
Maybe I should just try it again and see. Some of what I read was that the rhizobia thats used for peas and beans is a different species and wont colonize soybeans. but maybe it will work "good enough"?
Old January 22, 2013   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mr Baron,
Maybe I should just try it again and see. Some of what I read was that the rhizobia thats used for peas and beans is a different species and wont colonize soybeans. but maybe it will work "good enough"?
I could be wrong. More than once my old school advice turned out to be not valid anymore. Years ago that was true, but now a days with all the new work on developing new biologicals? Not sure.

I do know this. If you garden organic like I do. Concentrating on developing the soil. using just a bit of soil to mix in the compost pile and heavy continuous mulching. You only have to do it once. After that there is enough diversity in the soil that somehow the right rhizobia finds the right plant.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old January 22, 2013   #5
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

I grew edamame for the first time last year, and also fell in love with the flavor. Fortunately, mine grew quite well, with many fat root nodules even without inoculant

I had read that the inoculant used for beans & peas doesn't work with soy. Virtually everything I know about growing soy I learned online from zeedman. If you google 'zeedman' and 'edamame', you can find a bunch of stuff. He lives in Wisconsin, however, so some of it might not translate to Florida.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2013   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mr Baron,
Found some for 12 dollars specifically made for Soybeans

http://www.seedland.com/mm5/merchant...c#.UPqMeRjTnIU

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old January 22, 2013   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Spacetogrow and Mr Baron. I've been working a new garden and the soil just isn't right yet. I learned more about Rhizobia today than I new before so I guess it's a good day.
Old January 22, 2013   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

You have to grow the right kind for your longitude, from what I understand.
I tried to grow some here in AZ and had no germination. I'll probably try again when I move toe a different climate.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2013   #9
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

The bacterial agent for soybeans is generally not present in "garden mix" inoculants. Here are two slightly cheaper sources:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6683-so...inoculant.aspx

http://www.groworganic.com/soybean-inoculant.html

I would normally suggest inquiring at a local farm coop... but upon reflection, soybeans are probably not a common crop in Florida.

While the package says it treats 300 pounds, there is no harm (and perhaps benefit) in applying it extra thick. Personally, I sprinkle it in the row during planting, as opposed to coating the seed... because I never know how much seed I will use, and coated seed can not be re-saved.

The bacteria are very hardy; they survive my cold winters easily. Once it is in your soil, as long as you grow soybeans every year, there should be no need to use it again. Cut the plants off during harvest, and turn the roots under.

Oh, and as to Tracy's comments re: correct variety for your latitude, I concur. I would suggest the Hawaiian variety "Kohala" if you can find it (I've seen several different spellings). You might also get a good variety recommendation from your local Extension office.

Last edited by Zeedman; January 26, 2013 at 03:29 AM. Reason: corrected spelling for 'Kohala'
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2013   #10
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Zeedman.