Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 14, 2019   #3421
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry - Love the photos.

PlainJane - If you have any cauliflower left as plants, you can tack the leaves to each other (I used clothespins) to shade the cauliflower from the sun. On the white cauliflower, it keeps it white vs yellowing with sun. The same should be true with the purple. I grew the Purple of Sicily before. When you cook it, it doesn't stay purple.

---
Nematode Update - I planted several root pouches directly on my weed barrier vs the others where I put a slab underneath. I always coat the bottom of the root pouches with crab shells (mainly Neptune's Harvest but on occasion when I didn't have it used Down to Earth Crab shell meal which is much further ground). I've notice zero nematode activity in the roots on those plants when I pulled them even when the roots went through the root pouches. This is probably a lot different than planting directly in the Florida soil/sand/raised bed in years 2 and beyond.

---
How is everyone's tomatoes doing? I replaced a lot of my plants with clones. One thing that really doesn't work well, is replacing one in an earthbox and not the other. The new one just doesn't take off even when it has the morning east sun exposure.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019   #3422
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Larry - Love the photos.

PlainJane - If you have any cauliflower left as plants, you can tack the leaves to each other (I used clothespins) to shade the cauliflower from the sun. On the white cauliflower, it keeps it white vs yellowing with sun. The same should be true with the purple. I grew the Purple of Sicily before. When you cook it, it doesn't stay purple.

Hi Barb! The second cauliflower planting is growing strongly but not yet heading. I’ve noticed Graffiti self protects it’s heads more so than P of S. Orange Burst is also pretty good at protecting itself.
I typically either barely steam cauliflower or I roast it so as to keep the color intact. Graffiti holds its color pretty well...but then again it’s a hybrid.
---
Nematode Update - I planted several root pouches directly on my weed barrier vs the others where I put a slab underneath. I always coat the bottom of the root pouches with crab shells (mainly Neptune's Harvest but on occasion when I didn't have it used Down to Earth Crab shell meal which is much further ground). I've notice zero nematode activity in the roots on those plants when I pulled them even when the roots went through the root pouches. This is probably a lot different than planting directly in the Florida soil/sand/raised bed in years 2 and beyond.

Good! I got DE Crab Shell, too, and am sprinkling in the bottom of my grow bags. I also used quite a bit in the planting of the rose border out front. Since the roses were going straight into the amended soil we did crab shell and neem seed meal around each rose. Time will tell.
---
How is everyone's tomatoes doing? I replaced a lot of my plants with clones. One thing that really doesn't work well, is replacing one in an earthbox and not the other. The new one just doesn't take off even when it has the morning east sun exposure.
Interesting! Meaning you took cuttings and planted those as opposed to starting seed?
Mine are coming along well but are still small because of my late start.
I do have 8 “insurance“ plants from Laurel’s Heirloom Tomatoes to fall back on, lol.

So how many are you growing this season?
Old March 15, 2019   #3423
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Those cauliflower heads are so pretty. You do nice work plainJane.
I agree, Beautiful Cauliflower. And new potatoes, sounds so good. Jane you need to tell us how you grew you potatoes and maybe I will try again. I tried growing potatoes once but didn't get all that many.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019   #3424
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
I agree, Beautiful Cauliflower. And new potatoes, sounds so good. Jane you need to tell us how you grew you potatoes and maybe I will try again. I tried growing potatoes once but didn't get all that many.
Hi Larry,
I grew the cauliflower but bought the potatoes...
I did grow them once down here and they did just fine. It’s finding the space for them, lol!
Old March 26, 2019   #3425
PlainJane

Tomato seedlings in 4” pots outside full time for the last 2 weeks, and I’ll start shifting into the grow bags this weekend.
Still harvesting tons of lettuce and purple snap peas, and favas are fattening up. There is NOTHING like fresh fava beans straight from the garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7ACCEDD-3443-45CD-A32D-3DF370CC109E.jpg (820.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 37AE79CB-84E3-4F11-A487-6CB8D08EEE85.jpg (411.3 KB, 52 views)
Old March 26, 2019   #3426
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

I'm located in south Jax. I have a cement mixer that I use for mixing my potting mix. It does one hell of a job breaking up old root bound mixes so that you can add new stuff. If anyone local would like to use it, PM me.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #3427
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Tomato seedlings in 4” pots outside full time for the last 2 weeks, and I’ll start shifting into the grow bags this weekend.
Still harvesting tons of lettuce and purple snap peas, and favas are fattening up. There is NOTHING like fresh fava beans straight from the garden.

I have never eaten a Fava bean. What do you do with them?
Old March 26, 2019   #3428
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

That is a lot of tomatoes!
Old March 26, 2019   #3429
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
I have never eaten a Fava bean. What do you do with them?
You can steam, sauté, stir fry, add to soups, etc. I eat them fresh right out of the garden like most of the snap and snow peas.
Old March 26, 2019   #3430
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
That is a lot of tomatoes!
I know. And that’s not including the ‘for the neighbors and co-workers’ pile.
I can make a list of my extras tomorrow if you’re interested...
Old March 27, 2019   #3431
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Horrible Hail Storm

We just had a horrible hail storm go through our area. People are posting horrific pictures on a local site.

Went out to check on my garden; plants looks like a weed wacker got them; lettuce too.

What saddens me most garden wise is that the Mango season is probably shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0911.jpg (326.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0916.jpg (331.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0922.jpg (225.2 KB, 47 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2019   #3432
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
We just had a horrible hail storm go through our area. People are posting horrific pictures on a local site.
Went out to check on my garden; plants looks like a weed wacker got them; lettuce too.
What saddens me most garden wise is that the Mango season is probably shot.
Sorry to hear that Barb. Hope you and your home came through unscathed.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2019   #3433
PlainJane

OMG Barb! How is that possible?
I thought I was the farthest north of anybody in Florida. I didn’t have any ice or hail or anything close to it. A bit of wind and rain was all.
You’re south of Coco Beach, fer cryin out loud. I don’t get it.
I’m so sorry!
- Joyce
Old March 28, 2019   #3434
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Barb, So sorry to see all that damage to your garden. A friend from Titusville said they had hail up to Ping Pong ball size and many had damaged roofs. In Orlando just strong winds, but no hail. I've seen hail in Orlando, but nothing even close to what I see in your pictures.
Larry
Old March 28, 2019   #3435
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
OMG Barb! How is that possible?
I thought I was the farthest north of anybody in Florida. I didn’t have any ice or hail or anything close to it. A bit of wind and rain was all.
You’re south of Coco Beach, fer cryin out loud. I don’t get it.
I’m so sorry!
- Joyce
It is not that unusual to get hail in Costa Rica and Nicaragua.