Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 19, 2014   #1
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

Default Clay and rock alternatives

Hello all,

I'd like to begin planning for next year. The soil around my house is clay and rocks. I haven't got it tested, but looking at my neighbour's gardens, it doesn't look very hopeful. This summer, I've grown everything in Earthtainers or fabric pots, and it's been a success, except for some fungus and/or lack of nutrients.

Next year, my hope is to have two gardens:

1. Backyard: Options are containers or raised beds.
2. Front yard: Raised beds or in ground.

My benefits analysis is as follows... Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Containers - excellent yield, expensive because I have to replace some of the grow media every year. The Earthtainers are especially expensive because I use potting mix. For the fabric pots, I can just add compost.

Raised beds - good yield, but I'm not sure how expensive the upkeep of the soil is. Do I need the same expensive potting mixes as Earthainers? Also, do I just place them on the clay as it is, or do I till the clay first? Do I mix the clay and some of the raised be soil? Do I need to remove all the rocks?

In ground - less yield, less expensive, but can I grow anything decent in this clay without major, major amendments?

So my question is, which would you all recommend?

Thanks!
Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote