Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 3, 2014   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default Wonder Soil

Hi,

I just came across a "new to me" product that I thought some of you might be interested in. (I don't recall having seen it mentioned here at TV before and couldn't come up with any results doing a search).

The product is Wonder Soil. I came across it searching the Lowes and Home Depot websites looking for what I might order (for local pick-up) to replenish the soil in some of my raised beds. As I'm disabled and have difficulty dealing with the large bales (2.2 cu ft) of Pro-Mix or similar products and don't like paying extra for smaller bag sizes to make up the same quantities, the 10# block of Wonder Soil caught my eye. Here's a link to the product on the Home Depot website:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/WONDER-SO...PAND/204091781

The 10 lb coir based block expands to 2.5 cu ft! Adding water to and expanding the coir where I want it to go in the garden sure beats carting out large bales or buckets of other mixes to where I want it. Unless the product was really horrible, I probably would have ordered it just for the convenience factor, but it actually seems like a pretty decent product!

You can get more info on their website: www.wondersoil.com. Be sure to check out the video on the site (done by John of LearnToGrowOrganic....youtube fame). The coir itself is apparently quite different (in origin and processing) from what is usually used in garden products and it has some pretty nice added ingredients you can read about on the website. One thing of special note as far as the convenience factor goes, is that it's not as compressed as the usual coir blocks so it's easier to break up and expands faster.

I found that the best price was by ordering online from Home Depot with an order of $45 or more so you get free shipping. With the free shipping, it was about $15 for the 10 lb block of Wonder Soil that expands to 2.5 cu ft whereas the Pro-Mix that I had been using is about $25 for 2.2 cu ft.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know about it - esp. as we seem to have a number of people around here (myself included) who are slowing down a bit and/or have some troubles dealing with the larger bales of soil.

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote