Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 17, 2013   #1
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing Okra In Containers and Grilling It

I'm growing okra in containers this year because I didn't want to plant it in my root knot nematode (RKN) infested Florida soil. It's my first attempt at doing so and I didn't want to spend money on containers nor soil so I scrounged up some old 15 gallon landscape containers and filled them with compost that I made. I sowed six okra seeds in each of four container and water them daily -- some days even more than that. I've been harvesting anywhere between one and eight pods per day for several weeks now, placing them in the refrigerator and when I get a good mess grilling them. Now I'm having to use a ladder to pick pods because they're several feet tall. Here are some photos - we like grilled peppers too and placing them on top of the okra in a grilling basket works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 130701_113809_1.jpg (329.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 130701_113028_1.jpg (130.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 130725_090033_1.jpg (169.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 130725_090642_1.jpg (120.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 130816_181937_1.jpg (127.8 KB, 96 views)
Old August 17, 2013   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I grill okra the same way but; I like to marinate it for a while in a mix of soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil with a little salt and pepper. I use the same on bell peppers and squash when grilling them.

My favorite way to eat okra is cooked in some purple hull peas with a bit of bacon drippings for flavor. They can become quite a mushy mess if cooked too long but they are delicious. It's best to add the okra when the peas are about half done.

I also like fried okra and since finding Beck's it is much easier to make because of the thickness of the pods.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #3
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Bill - We've never tried marinating it first but will! I gave some okra to a friend the other day and she said she would cook it with peas like you do so I gave her some field peas too. I don't think we'd like it that way since we don't like the slimy texture of okra. We do like okra fried (the only way we ate it for years) but prefer it grilled now.
Old August 17, 2013   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryinfla View Post
Bill - We've never tried marinating it first but will! I gave some okra to a friend the other day and she said she would cook it with peas like you do so I gave her some field peas too. I don't think we'd like it that way since we don't like the slimy texture of okra. We do like okra fried (the only way we ate it for years) but prefer it grilled now.
Nice job Jerry. The flower really does look like a hibiscus. I read they were in the same family.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Great pictures. Thanks. I switched to grilled too this year, and prefer it to fried, which is just too heavy for me now. I just brush them with olive oil or teriyaki sauce.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #6
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Nice job Jerry. The flower really does look like a hibiscus. I read they were in the same family.

Marsha
Marsha - Yes, both are in the mallow family, Malvaceae, and I've heard that some folks grow okra as an ornamental but I sure don't recommend doing so in our RKN infested Florida soil. The plants lose their stems and leaves rapidly when the RKNs hit them and they will if any RKNs are in the soil. Flowers last only about a day before the pods begin to form and pods are ready to harvest in a very few days. Pods grow so fast that even with only 24 plants or so I have to pick okra every day or the pods become too large and fibrous to eat.
Old August 17, 2013   #7
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Great pictures. Thanks. I switched to grilled too this year, and prefer it to fried, which is just too heavy for me now. I just brush them with olive oil or teriyaki sauce.
Scott - Fried okra is too heavy for us too and we love it grilled. I've never tried brushing okra with teriyaki -- sounds delicious and will have to try that too.
Old May 16, 2015   #8
ClaraS
Tomatovillian™

My first time at growing okra as my daughter gave e a couple of plants Mother's Day. I plan to put them in 5 gal Home Depot buckets..have no idea when to pick them...guess I need to get them growing first!
ClaraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #9
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I always pick when the pod is 3"-5" long. Any bigger and they start to get fibrous. Okra & Stewed Tomatoes - Yummy.

MikeInCypress
Old May 16, 2015   #10
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad someone pulled up this thread. I have a couple of okra plants started in small pots and was going to plant them in the ground eventually, but now I think I will just use some bigger black pots - should give them more of the warmth they crave.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #11
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

One of the vendors at our local farmers market has been bringing a purple when ripe okra. So good that my favorite way to eat it is raw. Otherwise grilled with salt pepper and EVO is my usual and second favorite way. Love fried the most, but, I just won't put up with that mess!

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #12
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Grilled okra is one of my favorite veggies! I will have to try some marinade on them this year.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I would devote my entire back yard to okra but I cannot grow it because it has to be picked daily.

I cannot think of a way I dont like okra from raw to anything else.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #14
Phalanx130
Tomatovillian™

I love it fried and Stewed... i am going to have to try it on the grill this year when it starts coming in. Now I need to go home and check on my okra plants.
Phalanx130 is offline   Reply With Quote