Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 9, 2013   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default Tegucigalpa Paste tomato and hybrid seed

I made a cross between Tegucigalpa and Blush for some F-1 hybrid seed. I am sending some seed to Hawaii to get test results for it as a hybrid and also to get the F-2 seed to make new varieties eventually from it

I understand from my friend Taryn that it was originally from Honduras. She bought the seed primarily because she knew I was looking for varieties that might work in nearby Belize...where I had sent dozens of hybrids a year ago. The Tegucigalpa turned out to be a very pretty tomato...about one inch wide and nearly 3 inches long. My hybrid name for this cross is tentatively called Tegucigalpa Blush, however I may use that name for a selected segregate in the F-2 - F-3 generation. Naturally I would be saving the shape of Tegucigalpa and the color/flavor of Blush.

Tegucigalpa

Blush (below)

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/njt0KRE.png[/IMG]

I have approval to use that picture from Cristina from her blog
http://www.outlawgarden.com/2012/08/...-the-doldrums/
I am sending two seed to her in case she could grow the hybrid next year for me and post about it.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2013   #2
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Tegucigalpa, is the new favorite in my garden! I thought no one else even knew it existed and then I see your thread.

At the beginning of the season I thought they were too small to warrant further attention--then they became ripe and I tasted these gems, oh my! These will always be in my garden forevermore. If you need garden space in a northern climate it would be my honor to grow some Tegucigalpa Blush for you.

Sandra
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2013   #3
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

That sounds like an interesting cross.

I printed my order to Tatiana's this evening for Tegucigalpa. This is a little early for me to start this - I've made a resolution to not plant so many next year.
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2013   #4
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda'skid View Post
That sounds like an interesting cross.

I printed my order to Tatiana's this evening for Tegucigalpa. This is a little early for me to start this - I've made a resolution to not plant so many next year.
matilda'skid, I just want to let you know that you'll not be disappointed with your order. I have two new favorite tomatoes this year and this is one--I will always grow Tegucigalpa from now on. This little tomato is still pumping out the best tasting tomatoes when most of my other plants have tired out. I got this seeds from Tatiana's a couple years back and just this year tried them--if I knew what I was missing I would have planted them sooner. I'll be interested to see what this cross, Tom Wagner is working on produces--he obviously already knows what an outstanding tomato Tegucigalpa is.
Old April 18, 2015   #5
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Hello Tom! How is this cross doing, was just to your website to see if any of the tomatoes offered could possibly be this. Any news/updates would be appreciated, thanks.
Old April 19, 2015   #6
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Sunsi, my Tegucigalpa hybrids and F-2's will be ripening soon from several locations. I expect to take photos soon
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2015   #7
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Tom, I am truly looking forward to this special cross, the resulting tomatoes should be fabulous.
Old July 28, 2016   #8
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Hello Tom, just caught sight of your, "Hyde and Seek" tomato on another thread. I see that you're very busy and I appreciate the work that you do. I didn't grow any Tegucigalpa this season but they are still one of my all time favorites along with Blush, garden space is of a premium and so many new ones to try. When this cross is done to your satisfaction I'll be here to champion it for you. Have a great gardening season.