Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 15, 2016   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Squash Vine Borer Protection

Looking for ideas for protecting my zucchini plants from borers. I usually grow mine in 14" pots (Patio Star is in a class by itself for pots), but have even considered making a small raised bed that I could cover with some type of pop-up protector. Tried chemicals, and that doesn't seem to work well, plus I don't like using chemicals because of the bees. Has anyone used this "sticky-goo" like you put on the base of trees, or do the borers actually enter the stems from under the soil?

What I'd like in a cover:
1) Very portable
2) Easy to handle and store.
3) Good ventilation

I like the looks of these pop-up tomato (etc.) protectors, but they are not suitable for use after the weather warms.

Suggestions?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

An organic product called Surround (it is just clay) and foil around the base of the vines and up a ways helps greatly.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #3
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Located that product, and see that it is Kaolin. That makes me think of a couple of other options like diatomaceous earth and perhaps some other physical barriers for the base of the plant. Had also not heard of using aluminum foil at the base of the plant. Every year, I get a month or so of production, then can see the "dirt" left by the borers and wilting soon follows.
-GG

Old January 15, 2016   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

We had 2 zucchini, 3 mini pumpkin, and about 6 summer squash plants last year and had high SVB pressure. I would make a point of 3-4 days a week going out examining all the stems near the ground and squishing the eggs between my fingers. I believe the eggs hatch about 7-10 days after laying, so if you do it a few days a week you should get them. We lost no plants and I squished 100s of the devil's eggs. So if you have a small garden with a small number of plants and can physically get down on the ground and examine all the stems, especially near the soil line that may work for you.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

At least this link has a pictuer of the eggs along with squash bug eggs.
As you can see they lay the eggs right at the base of the plant.
One way that helped me was to plant the squash at different places every year.
Many times this isn't practical.
One way to help is if you have an infestation done just let the vines sit there and die.
By that time the grub has moved out of the vine and back into the ground to pupate for next year.
Then the gardener comes along and plants more squash in the same spot for the cycle to begin all over again.

I have saved some squash by inspecting the vines every day and saw the little pile of droppings they leave as they bore in.
I would then take a knife and slit long ways with the vine and dig the grub out.

Another thing you can do is bury the vines so they can take root.

I hate the things.
Beautiful plant one day dead plant the next.

You have about a week to find those eggs.

Worth
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...52956807507733
Old January 15, 2016   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking about materials that might "tangle" the borers when trying to bore into the stems. What do you think about honey? Certainly non-toxic. Might draw other pests, but might work? Any sticky syrup might work the same -- maybe corn syrup, perhaps with DE mixed into it? Just trying to brainstorm this...

-GG
Old January 15, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If I did that every fire ant and wasp in the country would show up.

Worth
Old January 15, 2016   #8
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Also thinking about Vaseline... I see it is suggested for peach tree borers.

-GG
Old January 15, 2016   #9
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Great thread. Thks for the info.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #10
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I plan to test three different methods of protection. In one, I'll surround the container completely with garden fencing and cover that with summer weight row cover fabric (the very thin stuff). The downside is of course, it must be hand pollinated unless I go with "Partenon" or a similar variety. In another, I'll coat the stem with something sticky (exact type TBD, but likely vegetable shortening or petroleum jelly). In a third, I'll cover the stalk with nylon stockings, since they should be able to stretch slightly while the stalk grows. And I'll add yellow "sticky traps" as an attractant. Tomorrow, I'll contact the AG agent here to see when the hatching period is in central Indiana. I suspect mid-June.

In growing Zucchini for over 40 years, I've had only one plant that survived until frost in mid-late October. It was "Gold Rush," which is still one of my favorite varieties.

-GG
Old January 18, 2016   #11
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking forward to your results!

SVB emergence begins around 900 degree-days (base 50), which each year will vary a bit as well as microclimates will vary too (e.g., very near a house vs out in an open garden). Mid-June sounds about right for you in central Indiana since we're usually late June/very early July in southern WI.

http://hort.uwex.edu/articles/squash-vine-borer/
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #12
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Interplant some nasturtiums. The similar leaf shape and pungent blossoms will repel the adult vine borer moths from laying eggs.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #13
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Do insecticides as a preventative work?

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #14
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Squishing the larva grosses me out, but it has kept my zucchini plants alive and producing into October. I've completely mangled section of stem digging them out and thought for sure the plant would die, but I cover the stem with soil and the plants just keep growing like nothing happened.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #15
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Do insecticides as a preventative work?

Greg
From what I've read, hit-or-miss for the home gardener. I tried last year, and it was not successful for me using Sevin.

-GG