Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old December 29, 2009   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default bacterial wilt resistant cucumbers

i'm always looking for bw cukes. i grow county fair but it is hard to find and i end up paying for s&h for 1 packet of seeds.

in the 2010 shumway catalog they list a cuke called calypso that is recommended if you have problems with bw. it's a hybrid pickler like county fair which i find is a good eating cuke. there probably are better tasting cukes but when the plant shuts down after producing for 2 weeks and dies i have to take what i get even if there are better cukes. all that siad i think county fair is a good eating cuke.

anyone ever grow calypso?

anyone aware of any other bw cukes?

i grow organicly on a trellis. i won't use pesticides and you can't cover an a-frame trellis that is 7' tall that has pole beans on the other side.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2009   #2
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

TJ,

In my area, very same issues as you have. From the first earliest fruits, until mid August, all of our cukes are dynomate! But from that point on - wilt and die. With no luck for succession planting either. And not just my garden, everyone I know in 50 mile area.

So locals suggested to try the following varieties:

Calypso Hybrid
Classy Hybrid
Eureka Hybrid
Burpless II Hybrid

I will still grow my usuals in the early season (Boston, National, Hmong), but those hybrids I'm definitely trying out in 2010.

I can send you few seeds of each of those hybrids if you want, don't have much, but if 5 seeds of each variety ok, send me PM with your address, and I'll share them with you to try.

Country Fair was another one suggested, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere.

If anyone else has any suggestions of disease resistant cuke varieties - please, do suggest!!!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2009   #3
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I had bacterial wilt issues last season. The Poona Kheera survived and did fair, but the Suhyo Long did very well. I think Poona Kheera is advertised as having some BWR, but I am not sure about Suyho long though.

If you are a SSE member their are some cucumbers listed in the yearbook with BW resistant varieties; Dekah, Wautoma, White Long, and WI 5207, which I might try next season. I think the Wisconsin SMR 58 has BWR as well.

Good Luck!

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2009   #4
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Hi Dean,

Thank you very much for the input, I have to look into those varieties you mentioned!

Poona Kheera was also the very last one to survive, setting plenty of those "young" pale white/green picklers, but if I let them grow pass 4" or so, started to wilt. So needless to say, I have not seen Poona's yellow skin in the last month of it's production.

Regards,
D
Old December 30, 2009   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh_Vinci View Post
TJ,

So locals suggested to try the following varieties:

Calypso Hybrid
Classy Hybrid
Eureka Hybrid
Burpless II Hybrid

I can send you few seeds of each of those hybrids if you want, don't have much, but if 5 seeds of each variety ok, send me PM with your address, and I'll share them with you to try.

Country Fair was another one suggested, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere.

other than the calypso hybrid what seed catalog carries these?

thanks for the offer but i have a new packet of county fair.

county fair was carried by territorial seeds but they did not have it in the 2009 catalog. i found it at park seeds in 2009. i'm not aware of anyone else that carries it which is amazing to me because this cuke will last all summer w/o any problems and it'll die around the 3rd week in september.
Old December 30, 2009   #6
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

I wish I knew! A friend of mine shared some seeds with me, but I can ask if you like...

Regards,
D
Old December 31, 2009   #7
salix
Tomatovillian™

Tom, haven't had those issues up here, so no experience with bw and no "experienced" recommendations. However, just received a Park Seeds catalogue (I know some don't like them...) and they list both County Fair and Eureka cukes. Both come with 30 seeds to a packet for $1.75 / $1.95 and for that amount shipping is only $2.95. Hope this is of some help. By the by - they claim that Eureka will grow in ANY conditions...
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2009   #8
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Salix,

Thank you for the seed source, I have not seen Country anywhere yet for 2010, and wanted to trial it along with the others, will be ordering!

Really want to see how these hybrids perform, but more importantly - how they taste in contrast to my usual grown varieties!

2010 will be fun indeed!

Regards,
D
Old December 31, 2009   #9
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Just picked up my mail, seems like every possible seed catalog was held for delivery today, so the mail box had to be literally "stuffed"

Looked through Southern Exposure, they do list many varieties that are disease resistant (just to name a few):

Little Leaf H-19 (als, and, bw, cmv, dm, pm, scab)
Edmonson (als, an, cmv, scab)
Marketmore 76 (smv, pm, dm, als, an)
Poinsett 76 (als, an, dm, pm, spm)

Looks like I'll add couple more to my grow list for 2010...

Regards,
D

Last edited by Duh_Vinci; December 31, 2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old January 9, 2010   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

while reading johnny's catalog today i came across another bacterial wilt resistance cule. it is little leaf. like county fair it is a pickler and slicer. anyone ever grow little leaf?
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
Old May 6, 2015   #11
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

just bumping this up so we can get more information on better cucumber that are resistant varieties
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #12
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Hi,
I grow Arkansas Little Leaf. I get it from Heavenly Seed, out of Anderson S.C.
http://www.heavenlyseed.net/
Disease Resistant: Angular Leaf Spot, Anthracnose, Bacterial Wilt, Cucumber Mosaic Virus, Downy Mildew, Powdery Mildew, Scab.
Arkansas Little Leaf seems to have some bacterial wilt resistant. It is a good tasting cucumber.
I am also going to try Chipper next year. It is supposed to also be resistant to bacterial wilt. It is available from:
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/.../cucumber.html
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #13
FredB
Tomatovillian™

Arkansas Little Leaf and Chipper aren't actually resistant to bacterial wilt disease, but they get infected a little later than some older varieties because they are bitter-free and thus aren't as attractive to cucumber beetles. Any other bitter-free variety will perform the same. The only truly BW-resistant commercial variety is County Fair Hybrid.

I created the BW-resistant varieties that were listed in the Seed Savers Yearbook. They were made by back-crossing various varieties against PI 200815, a primitive cucumber from Burma that the USDA found had a dominant gene for BW resistance. Send me a PM if you'd like seed. Of the varieties listed in the SSE, the one I'd recommend is WI 5207 BWR.

Fred
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #14
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Do any of you folks use biological inoculants on your cucumber seedlings containing PGPR bacteria?

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36324
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote