Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 21, 2015   #1
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving Garlic to replant

Can I leave garlic bulbs in the ground after maturity if I plan on replanting it in October? So busy right now and don't want to spare the time to pull quite a bit of garlic I know is ready. What are the dangers of leaving it in ground too long, if any. And will it still be good for replanting?
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Pull the bulbs when convenient and dry. The bulb will burst and expose the cloves somewhat, but absolutely no harm. In fact, for seed this is desirable since the cloves will be slightly larger. Pulling before the bulb starts to crack tends to make the bulbs have a longer shelf life or so convention suggests, but I don't completely subscribe to this practice. I now pull my garlic after the bulbs start to burst both for seed and storage.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #3
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

I'm in the process of digging a couple thousand bulbs for seed, market and use.
When the plant is mature it's time to get it out of the ground. If left in the ground after the tops die back you run the risk of rot.
A very small percent of the garlic I harvest will separate. Those that do, are sold or saved for seed. It's my opinion that long term storage is better with a tight bulb.
A properly dried and cured variety can store 8-10 months before sprouting.
Were still using our 2014 crop for cooking. Cut in half, remove any green core and use as usual. It's even possible to use the previous years crop for seed. Just doesn't have quite the vigor. This is a good way to to increase your seed stock.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #4
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I agree. Dig up the garlic when at least half of the stalk has turned brown. Don't let it turn completely dead/dry. For a class in the Fall, I let 5 'die' and the bulbs are completely separated from the stalk. Good for show, not really for storage.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #5
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

bjbebs is the person to GO TO if your garlic doesn't turn out like you'd wanted!

Thousands?? Whew!
Old July 21, 2015   #6
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Thanx for the replies. The soil is sandy and drains well. All garlic will be used as seed and planted this fall. I have had garlic rot in heavy soil, but this field is sandy. Time is the problem, so busy trying to do other things, don't want to use it on garlic right now, soo hoping let it sit will do.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015   #7
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Now that the garlic has been dug and dried for a month, I've encountered a problem, sort of.

Because of the constant rain in June and part of July, I had to wait for a time period when there was no rain - just clouds. So we dug up the garlic, a bit earlier than the previous year, but half of the stalks were brown.

The garlic was hung in a warm ventilated garage for a month and then taken down to cut.

About half of the heads had some sort of 'rot' where the stem was still moist and the cloves easy to peel.

I decided to pull many of the heads apart into cloves to either dry or peel for the dehydrator.

Question - will the larger cloves be OK to plant in October?

I've put what I've divided into single layers in cardboard boxes and covered them with newspaper, so as not to dry out too much.
Old August 10, 2015   #8
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

When you say the cloves are easier to peel do you mean the protective sheathing is gone or loose. It is best to plant out your largest cloves that have the sheathing intact. If your stock is deteriorating you might consider getting it in the ground by mid Sept.
I've never seen wide scale rot in a hard neck. Is your garlic a hard or soft neck?
I had the same wet June and July, 15-20 inches. If your soil drains well your crop should
not show much rot. Or it could just be the variety, hard to say. i would go ahead and plant. If you don't see life in 3 or 4 weeks, it's probably toast.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015   #9
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

This happened to about half of the garlic, not sure why. Estonian Red hard necked. The protective sheathing near the top of the cloves was not totally intact and was flexible, so easy to peel.

Only the largest heads seemed to be affected. Some cloves had the beginning of rot that affected the stem and inner part of the cloves, most not. I'd rather keep the heads intact, but not if they're too wet. Some had a 'smell' that can't really be described. Not pungent, but not usual.

I really can't plant until the rest of the garden is toast, so planting in September is out of the question. About a third of the heads are mostly intact, with one or two cloves removed to see if they were dry enough.

I really didn't want to share the cloves to plant with others if they're not going to be viable. Most cloves are hard/dry and seem to be OK, though a little colored/mottled. Maybe I'll plant a few now and see if they're OK. Thanks for that suggestion.
Old August 10, 2015   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

It could just be rot from too much time in wet soil, or sometimes I get that separating at the top of the cloves from bulbs that were left in the ground a bit longer than they should have.

I know there aren't that many pests or diseases that effect garlic, but some that do can be spread by planting infected seed crop. You may want to do some more research to rule out any of the nasties before you share any of your garlic as seed stock with other gardeners, otherwise you risk infecting someone else's garden.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote