Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 15, 2016   #1
Bulldog
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic and refilling raised beds

Well, I thought it was a good idea to plant my garlic 2-3 pieces to each 4x4 bed, like it was a valiant protector from bugs last fall. I estimate that it will be ready to harvest in June or July. It's doing great.

Problem is the dirt has settled in all of my 4x4 beds, and I need to add more. Like 4 inches more. But I have the garlic 2-3 in each bed.

Will it hurt the garlic to add more dirt(really compost peat worm castings minerals perlite vermiculite and whatever else I throw in) and cover the bottom of the garlic stalks?

Shoul I cut paper or plastic cups and put a collar around the stalks to keep the dirt away?

Yes, I am a fairly new gardener.

Thanks.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I never have added significant amounts of compost/soil to my beds where I'm growing garlic. I would think you do not want to bring the dirt level up to where the bottom leaves branch out from the stem, it needs to be below that. This is just my opinion based on growing lots of veggie and flowers, I can't say for sure. I'm curious if anyone has other thoughts.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Personally, I too would not add more soil up around the garlic stalks. Can you just hill around your other crops for now and then fill in after the garlic is pulled?
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm curious about this question. A friend of ours grows great garlic, and last year his daughter told me, his secret method was to side dress with compost during the summer, as much as he could get! I'm not sure exactly how he does that, but it seems like there is a precedent for adding some good soil around the plants. Four inches sounds like a lot though.
I believe I read somewhere that if you plant garlic too deep you will get smaller cloves. But I think that would be because it takes longer to reach the surface? and that's not the same as adding stuff when it's already above the ground.
With any luck, Henry will happen along and enlighten us.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #5
Reign
Tomatovillian™

Bower - an example of how to side dress garlic. Different than topping off a bed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90hYyJOvcoc
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #6
henry
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I'm curious about this question. A friend of ours grows great garlic, and last year his daughter told me, his secret method was to side dress with compost during the summer, as much as he could get! I'm not sure exactly how he does that, but it seems like there is a precedent for adding some good soil around the plants. Four inches sounds like a lot though.
I believe I read somewhere that if you plant garlic too deep you will get smaller cloves. But I think that would be because it takes longer to reach the surface? and that's not the same as adding stuff when it's already above the ground.
With any luck, Henry will happen along and enlighten us.
Expect I will not be of much help this time as I have never added soil to growing garlic.

In a very sandy loam garlic can be planted 6 inches deep in heavy soils 2 to 3 inches over the clove when planting is normal.