Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 17, 2019   #1
jxw_1992
Tomatovillian™

Default How to tell the difference between Green Tiger and Fuego Verde?

Hey guys,

I lost the tags on my tomatoes and now can't tell my Green Tiger and Fuego Verde apart, anyone have some tips? I tried googling the images but even the images look similar! Help!:
jxw_1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019   #2
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Post pictures when ripe and label better next year.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019   #3
jxw_1992
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Post pictures when ripe and label better next year.
Um...thanks look how helpful you are. They've both fruited and I still can't tell them apart! Even Artisanseeds' website says they are similar!
Old July 17, 2019   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Plant habit probably won't the same, I would assume.
I only grew green tiger and internodes are long, plants is tall, leaves are big and long and somewhat funky/whispy (especially easy to see on newer growth or when a transplant). Not many fruit on a cluster, 8-12.

If that description fits one plant more than the other, it will probably be it. I see on pictures that the fruit of Fuego seems more elongated.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Take some pics when ripe, whole and cut.
I can't think of any better way to help. No verbal hints. They are similar.

Or like mentioned, a pic of the plant and foliage as well. No issue helping solve it.

Last edited by oakley; July 17, 2019 at 03:44 AM.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019   #6
shule1

I've grown Green Tiger, and it was small. The fruits wrinkled as and/or after they got ripe (in my garden). They were very sweet (one of the sweetest tomatoes I've grown; I'd be extremely surprised if Fuego Verde rivaled it for sweetness). It's considered a cherry tomato by some (including Artisan Seeds). It was maybe 2 inches long for me. It had wispy foliage, as previously mentioned. It was indeterminate. Green Tiger is similar to Maglia Rosa in a lot of ways (except for being green and indeterminate; but it's sweeter, IMO). The skins can be significant, or not. They may or may not have some red blush. (Maybe mine were an accidental cross, though.)

Fuego Verde is supposed to have fruit that are 3 to 4 inches long (sounds bigger than a cherry).

The fruit shapes look different to me. Green Tiger's look more uniform and rounded, while Fuego Verde's looks more like that of many larger pastes.

You might try to find out if Fuego Verde is supposed to be wispy. If it's not, then you should be able to tell the difference pretty fast which is which (as zipcode indicated), if they're both true-to-type.

Last edited by shule1; July 17, 2019 at 04:27 AM.
Old July 17, 2019   #7
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Fuego Verde is bigger.

I grew Green Tiger last year, Fuego Verde this year. Green tiger only grew to about an inch and a half and was skinny with a pointed blossom end. Fuego Verde is about 3 inches and has a blunt end like a Roma. At least mine do.

Both taste excellent!
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2019   #8
jxw_1992
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Plant habit probably won't the same, I would assume.
I only grew green tiger and internodes are long, plants is tall, leaves are big and long and somewhat funky/whispy (especially easy to see on newer growth or when a transplant). Not many fruit on a cluster, 8-12.

If that description fits one plant more than the other, it will probably be it. I see on pictures that the fruit of Fuego seems more elongated.
Thanks! I found both plants to be wispy! It's crazy! You are right about the length of the fruit, I think Fuego Verde is slightly longer.
Old July 18, 2019   #9
jxw_1992
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I've grown Green Tiger, and it was small. The fruits wrinkled as and/or after they got ripe (in my garden). They were very sweet (one of the sweetest tomatoes I've grown; I'd be extremely surprised if Fuego Verde rivaled it for sweetness). It's considered a cherry tomato by some (including Artisan Seeds). It was maybe 2 inches long for me. It had wispy foliage, as previously mentioned. It was indeterminate. Green Tiger is similar to Maglia Rosa in a lot of ways (except for being green and indeterminate; but it's sweeter, IMO). The skins can be significant, or not. They may or may not have some red blush. (Maybe mine were an accidental cross, though.)

Fuego Verde is supposed to have fruit that are 3 to 4 inches long (sounds bigger than a cherry).

The fruit shapes look different to me. Green Tiger's look more uniform and rounded, while Fuego Verde's looks more like that of many larger pastes.

You might try to find out if Fuego Verde is supposed to be wispy. If it's not, then you should be able to tell the difference pretty fast which is which (as zipcode indicated), if they're both true-to-type.
It's crazy because I find them both to be wispy! However you are right about the shape, I think Fuego Verde is slightly longer.
Old July 18, 2019   #10
jxw_1992
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.kelpie View Post
Fuego Verde is bigger.

I grew Green Tiger last year, Fuego Verde this year. Green tiger only grew to about an inch and a half and was skinny with a pointed blossom end. Fuego Verde is about 3 inches and has a blunt end like a Roma. At least mine do.

Both taste excellent!
Thanks! The pointed blossom end and longer shape are key I think! One does have longer/bigger fruit than the other.

Tags
fuego verde , green , green tiger