Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old December 23, 2016   #1
burritos
Tomatovillian™

Default Newbie Ramial Chip Wood pedogenesis question about grey water...

Since the end of summer, I've been building my new garden beds with the local free public wood chips. I don't know what I'll be growing, maybe some berries and fruit trees, maybe some random ornaments that are on the clearance shelf at Homedepot. I've also been mixing in coffee grounds from mutliple local coffee shops. Since I'm in Southern Calif, minimal water use is an imperative. I even got a rain barrel from a neighbor and ordered 2 more from the city rain barrel program. I have a few questions if anyone can give feedback:
1. Can you use too much coffee grounds? In my old home, I think I smothered my grass by using too much grounds thinking it was going to morph into soil. However, with wood chips and it's providing cover for worms, will it all get eaten up? I have 2 compost piles which I could throw the extra grounds in t. However, if worms under woodchip piles will just as easily eat it up and provide nitrogen to the soil that'd be my preference.
2. I collect sink water with a water basin and dump it on my ornamentals, and even a foot away from my veggie garden. I assume the variety of microorganism will just metabolize and clean up the grey water. Anyone else do this?
burritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've used coffee grounds to build soil, too. The main problem is that they repel water if placed more than a quarter inch thick, whether on the ground or in a compost bin. No problem if you mix them with soil etc as they're added. I got my grounds from coffee shops in big bags, and often they had lumps. I did spend time breaking up the lumps.

A permaculture garden I've visited used free coffee grounds and free hay or straw to build soil on a steep dry hillside, then planted fruit trees and vegetables. So if you have a lot of space and something to mix with, probably using lots is ok.

I mostly use rinse water (both from rinsing greens from the garden and occasionally from rinsing dishes) in the compost bin, but have used it on some plants if there weren't too many particles or bugs. I like to rinse the container we've made soy yogurt in and add that rinse water to compost -- a few extra microbes.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you use cleaning chemicals,cloroxes etc.the water just might kill beneficial organisms,mycos,fungi ,worms?They have some cleaning products that are "neutral"(for want of a better word)so as not to pollute the ground.
Old December 25, 2016   #4
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
If you use cleaning chemicals,cloroxes etc.the water just might kill beneficial organisms,mycos,fungi ,worms?They have some cleaning products that are "neutral"(for want of a better word)so as not to pollute the ground.
Google "greywater-friendly cleaning products" (or "greywater-compatible...") for a list.

I use only rinse water from rinsing off vegetables or clearing plates of vegan food, nothing with any cleaning products in it.

Kitchen water is not legal to be plumbed for greywater use in California because it can be contaminated with animal products, which can pose a health risk. So a more detailed response to Burritos is that kitchen water is safe to use in the garden if it has not come in contact with animal products or with cleaning products that are on the "to be avoided" list.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016   #5
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

What's the question? "Where did dirt come from?" or was it "How do I make dirt?"

Answer: Why don't you like what you're standing on? Does it not work?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I beleive soil,medium,soiless medium(perlite,diamatuous eart,coir etc.) is what the target is here.Note the definition below.I was raised with the "....made dirt,dirt don't hurt..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirt
Old December 25, 2016   #7
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Cripes! Who knew dirt was so complicated !!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote