Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old July 27, 2009   #1
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Default Armenian Dolmas - Vegetarian Version

This is as close as I can get to what I use as in our family recipe, without giving away all the family secrets . I sometimes add a 3.5 oz tin of tomato paste per recipe batch to the filling for more flavour. I'll post the recipe for meat and rice stuffing separately.

Zana

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Armenian Stuffed Grape Leaves (Tzitayoughov Derevi Patoog) or Derevi Sarma Dolma

Preparation Time: 1 Plus hours (lol...depends on how fast you roll 'em and how many interruptions you have)
Cooking Time: 1 hour

1 jar (16oz) grape leaves

Filling:
1 1/2 cups short-grain rice (I prefer to use arborio rice)
2 1/2 cups chopped onions (I carmelise mine before adding to the filling mixture - adds a sweet taste to it)
2 Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped (generally people add green or sweet peppers, I like to add red or other colours for some variety...and have been known to add some less sweet varieties to add some "heat" to the mix)
2 cups freshly chopped parsley, stems reserved
1 cup freshly chopped mint or 2 1/2 tablespoons dried crushed mint
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne or to taste (I like a bit of a bite to it, so add more)
1 tablespoon allspice
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3/4 to 1 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup dried black currants (optional)

To cook:
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil

lemon slices to garnish

Directions:
1. Drain grape leaves, rinse, and taste for saltiness. If leaves are too salty, soak in cool water for 15 to 20 minutes, changing water twice. Drain. (If I am doing hundreds that day, I'll empty 2 or 3 jars at a time into the sink and let them soak, rinse, soak again until needed)

2. Place all filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Set aside.

3. Spread 10 grape leaves at a time with shiny side down, on work surface. (this creates a bit of an "assembly-line) Cut off stems with scissors. Make all leaves about the same size (optional - but you can make them smaller if you want them for finger food hors-d'oevres. Trim any leaves that are unusually large or reserve them to line the pot later.

4. Place 1 tablespoon filling in lower centre of each leaf. Fold sides over filling. Roll from stem end to tip, folding sides in as you roll. Do not roll tightly because rice needs room to expand. But don't roll too loosely or will fall apart.

5. Line bottom of 4-quart saucepan (I tend to use about a 6 quart dutch oven) with parsley stems or extra pieces of grape leaves. I place sliced potato over the bottom of the pot to stop any chance of the leaves burning on the bottom or sticking to the bottom. Drape leaves over the sides of the pot too. Place rolls, seam side down in row around edge of saucepan. Place remaining rolls in centre. Change directions of how you lay them with each layer.

6. Mix 2 cups water, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and 1/4 cup olive oil. Pour over rolls. Invert and place a plate over rolls to hold them in place while cooking.

7. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 1 hour. Cool completely in liquid. Remove cover, hold plate in place over rolls, and gently drain off liquid. Remove plate. Place large platter over pan and invert rolls onto platter. (Or lift them out of the pan individually and very gently.) Lift pan off slowly to keep rolls in place.

8. Chill if desired. Garnish with lemon slices. Keeps, well covered in refrigerator.

This recipes makes 55 to 66 rolls

Variation: Substitute a mix of small eggplants and bell peppers for grape leaves. Hollow out vegetables, and season inside lightly with salt and pepper. Fill and cook as directed above, or until tender. Remove carefully to platter with a slotted spoon. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Hints: Extra grape leaves can be wrapped in foil and frozen.

This is a "large" recipe by non-Armenian standards. The recipe can be halved if desired, but it can also be doubled or tripled.

Last edited by Zana; July 28, 2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: added notations
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote