Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 6, 2012   #76
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I've used my Mantis with the 4 stroke Honda engine for 2 seasons now and it always starts on the first or second pull. I have only used premium gas with a stabilizer added and ethanol free when I can get it. Now that gas is so high anyway the little extra on premium is well worth the added performance with all of my gas powered engines including cars. The real trick is finding ethanol free gas.

The only problem other than throwing some dirt out of my raised beds is the amount of fine roots that become tangled in the tines of the Mantis. I guess that is a good thing since it does clear out a lot of unwanted invading feeder roots from nearby trees; but it is awfully hard to clear the tines with arthritic hands. If I had to buy another tiller it would be the Mantis with the 4 stroke engine. It is just a remarkable little workhorse to be so small and light.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2012   #77
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I imagine this would be hard with arthritic hands. I just take a pair of pliers, remove the pins and slip off the tines. This make clearing quite easy and quick.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #78
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

So, Home Depot and Lowes didn't carry any electric cultivators here in my neighborhood. I ended up getting the Greenworks 8 amps from Amazon. Great reviews, looks good and came in one day.
Question. I need more space ( don't we all?), to grow squash and other space hogs. I have an area of rather heavy clay, covered in pea gravel. I can rake off most of the pea gravel but might not get all of it. Will it hurt this tiller to use it on the pea gravel? I'd like to till this area, mix in a bunch of horse manure and use it for a squash and melon, okra and southern pea garden. It's already flood irrigated so it would be perfect. How many rocks can the tiller take without damaging it? What about tree roots? I also have an area around the pool with some rocks and tree roots that I'd love to work with the tiller ( i have a bunch of fancy hibiscus coming!!) but I might be better off renting a larger machine, rather than damaging my new little toy.
I've completely run out of space for summer stuff this year. I have four 16x 8 gardens, plus a garden along one end of the house which has about 15 peppers, and two 3years old eggplants. Then, another raised bed out front with an artichoke, tomatillos, ground cherries and basil. Then, I also have a huge shade garden with a lot of herbs and a few peppers mixed into the flowers.
Part of my problem is that seasons run together around here and I'm also getting more plants that are perinniel like my artichoke, peppers and eggplants, which often just keep n through to the next year. Herbs and bunching onions are tucked everywhere.
Sometimes, I really wish I could lay my garden to rest for the fall, till it up and plant a cover crop, like I would do in a "normal" climate.
But, it's so nice to eat out of the garden year round. Even if the summers here are challenging.
Won't be here much longer, only one or two more summers and then I get to learn a whole new climate, unless we move back to OK or CO.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #79
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I can't answer about that particular tiller but tillers in general don't like rocks. It's not so much that I've broken a tiller on rocks it's that they start jumping all over the place when they hit a rock. Tree roots are even worst. Those I'd think would damage a tiller. I know they stall my 5 horse tiller that's on the back of a garden tractor.

Last edited by Doug9345; April 9, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #80
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Check this out........

http://youtu.be/eLVFm8d6dUI
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012   #81
kingtater
Tomatovillian™

I love my little tiller for all the little up keep between rows.
kingtater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #82
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

I have a Troy cultilvator. I used to mix the beds. I can lift it in and It did pretty good except the dry old leaves the DIL tossed in. Son had dumped in the Horse fert and ground was tilled before the frames were down. He layed the frames on that and they added. We had the bigger rocks out before the frames were layed . One bed is about 85 % small stones. Too many to plant anything in. I tried to sieve out but too slow with what I could get. It sure stired it up. I am just learning to use it. It went deeper then he had tilled I guess. This lot use to be apts and I guess that bed in drive or path. Other three are not too bad for big seed like corn and beans. I am trying to make one for root crops. This cultivator does not work like a tiller. It does really dig.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #83
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_west View Post
I have a Troy cultilvator. I used to mix the beds. I can lift it in and It did pretty good except the dry old leaves the DIL tossed in. Son had dumped in the Horse fert and ground was tilled before the frames were down. He layed the frames on that and they added. We had the bigger rocks out before the frames were layed . One bed is about 85 % small stones. Too many to plant anything in. I tried to sieve out but too slow with what I could get. It sure stired it up. I am just learning to use it. It went deeper then he had tilled I guess. This lot use to be apts and I guess that bed in drive or path. Other three are not too bad for big seed like corn and beans. I am trying to make one for root crops. This cultivator does not work like a tiller. It does really dig.
When you say it doesn't work like a tiller, do you mean it digs more, or less? I'm going to try mine today.
This could be a scary sight!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote