Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 31, 2015   #16
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I have never gotten Ancho to germinate for me and that is with a seed mat and all (and from reliable seed shops.)
Old March 31, 2015   #17
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Not sure why? Working for me. Could somebody else test them?
Yeah, there was some extra stuff in the URL before the http part in your links. These should work:

http://www.peppadewfresh.com/Recipe_folder/Recipes.asp

http://www.peppadewfresh.com/Recipe_..._Peppadew.html

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #18
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for fixing, i was busy cooking, it went well!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I bought a Poblano pepper from HEB and saved seeds from it. The plants from those seeds look really good.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I bought a Poblano pepper from HEB and saved seeds from it. The plants from those seeds look really good.
Was the pepper green or red when you took the seeds?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #21
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Green
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Green
Thanks just as I suspected.
I have read where they wouldn't sprout from a green pepper but I have got them to sprout too.
Worth
Old March 31, 2015   #23
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Worth... Look at all them peppers!!!!!! How neat to string and dry them like that. Next time you string some up, if you happen to think about it, will show me how you do that? I've only ever dried peppers between two screens out in the sun.

Makes it hard sometimes too because of the humidity trying to keep them from molding inside.

Quote:
I have never gotten Ancho to germinate for me and that is with a seed mat and all (and from reliable seed shops.)
Luigiwu... I wish I could give you some pointers, but this is going to be my first time trying. Maybe they need a longer time to germinate since they bigger?

Drew... Thanks for the links. I love stuffed peppers. The only type I have made so far is with the green bells stuffed with hamburger, rice and seasons and baked in tomato sauce. Pepper steak is a dish I love too. I could eat it every night with some rice.

Italian sausage and cream cheese sounds yummy. Can I come to dinner.

I hope mine germinate. They were a dark..dark green when I got them and I let them sit on the counter and they started turning a brownish red color.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #24
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Dinner came out well, and yes I like the taditional way too. Sometimes I don't even stuff them, but use those ingredients cut peppers up, sauté everything and serve over rice. It is excellent. Well I made extra stuffed peppers tonight and only 1/2 of one was left. I made green beans with walnuts, pecans and Cajun spice, completely gone, I also made a raspberry crisp with yellow raspberries from last year's crop (frozen). I used 3 cups of raspberries. I made a big batch and it was totally consumed. I also removed seeds, I usually do not. They are good for you, a pain though have known health benefits. My father-in law complains about them, so I removed them. I added extra corn starch and a little pectin to thicken it up since removing seeds, means removing some pulp too. I use a very fine mesh strainer. Easier and quicker than a food mill. I have a food mill too.
Old April 1, 2015   #25
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Do you want to try some of the seed I have? Be glad to send ya some, just pm . Who knows maybe fresh ones will work for you better.

Drew... Sounds like your family had a lovely dinner . That sweet of you to fix the raspberries the way you Father-in-law likes em. Later I'll have to find out how you freeze your fresh fruits.
Old April 1, 2015   #26
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I was going to plant a couple Poblano hybrids. I have heard good things about the hybrids. But I opted for some jalapeño plants this year. Definitely next year for the Poblano. Besides a scotch bonnet the jalapeno is the only somewhat hot pepper I'm growing this year. Next year I will grow both. I want to try that mammoth I got from you.
On freezing raspberries, you don't have to do nothing with them, they will not stick to each other. Other fruit yes, not raspberries. At least fresh off the plant. Now store bought may be mushy enough to stick. I freeze fresh picked only. They do not stick to each other. I eat them in yogurt and oatmeal mostly with nuts and other fruit. Blueberries, strawberries etc.. The yellows are amazing!
Here is Anne from a friend's patch. I grow Anne too.
Old April 1, 2015   #27
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Drew... When these guys finish drying, since you won't do them til next year, I'll save you some seed and send it.

How pretty. Til you I never knew raspberries even came in an orange color. I definitely need to get me a plant of them and see they will grow here. Of course I will have to squirrel and bird proof them, but it will be worth it. : )
Old April 1, 2015   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Worth... Look at all them peppers!!!!!! How neat to string and dry them like that. Next time you string some up, if you happen to think about it, will show me how you do that? I've only ever dried peppers between two screens out in the sun.

Makes it hard sometimes too because of the humidity trying to keep them from molding inside.
That picture is a somewhat open string of peppers I am experimenting on.

Peppers hung up to dry like that is called a Ristra (Roll your "R's" and make the "I" an EEEE sounding), and there are about a dozen different ways to do it.

I am making a nice one today out of dried Guajillo Chillies and am going to post a few pictures when I am through.
For me my way is the easiest way for me to do it.

Worth
Old April 1, 2015   #29
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Sounds good! I'll give them a try. I can send you a few of the hybrid seeds if you want?
I have Tiburon, and Caballero Hybrid
http://parkseed.com/product.aspx?p=0...A-CD843FEE289A

http://parkseed.com/tiburon-hybrid-p...p/05258-PK-P1/

I'll have Anne Yellow in the fall, or right now I can send a Fall Gold yellow, as it has a lot of canes. The Anne only has a couple. Both are awesome raspberries.
I try to grow every color I can

Most are yellow or red. Often I run out of containers to freeze them in, and use whatever I can!

Last edited by drew51; April 1, 2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old April 1, 2015   #30
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Drew... Please, if you have a couple of seeds to spare, I would like to try them. Thanks.

On the Raspberries, I wonder if closer to fall wouldn't be better. We are going to get slammed here very shortly with constant temps in the high 90's to 100+F . Nothing much grows here from about the end of May until August. Plants wilt and go into summer dormancy and so do the folks.

Them are some really nice looking berries. Thanks for showing and telling me how to fresh freeze them. I'm going to have to start saving my containers.