Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 13, 2015   #1
rtvvvv
Tomatovillian™

Default ripening question

I have 3 "sport pepper" plants growing and they are producing lots of peppers (yay!) I've noticed that occasionally there is a small one that
turns red when it is still quite small (1/2") all the others stay green and are over 3" with no red at all. anyone know why this happens? I've seen that happen with tomato plants at the end of the season but I'm new to the pepper world and know very little about them.

Thanks!
rtvvvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #2
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

It happens in my garden too. I'm not sure what causes it but it usually happens early in the season. Just this week we finally got into "Spring" with a week of warm/hot weather. Here and there small, almost runty, peppers turned red almost overnight.

Maybe these are pods that formed early and never went anywhere because of environmental stress. Now that it's finally warm and sunny these old girls are tired and just want to set seed.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote