Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old November 18, 2012   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default Can I re-do after canning mistake?

Hi, this was my 2nd time canning, and I realized afterwards that I was supposed to use new lids each time. I thought my lids which were carefully taken off the first-time cannings were okay. They seemed to have sealed okay, but all sites I have visited say to use new. Since I already made 5 jars of salsa, which I put in the fridge after they cooled, I plan to go out and buy some more lids tomorrow.
Can I re-lid and put in a hot water bath then? Would I have to heat up the salsa, jars etc before the bath?

Otherwise, I suppose I could freeze the whole mess in freezer bags but I'd rather not.
Thanks!
Suzie
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Reusing jar lids isn't recommended but if your jars have sealed properly then the contents should be just as safe as if the lids were new.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Kath. If they were sterilized in boiling water and then sealed perfectly, there should be no problems. But, like said before, it is not recommended.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #4
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I've reused lids before too, provided they are scratch and dent free. You'll know soon enough if there is a problem with the jars you have already done, as you may get some oozing or popping. But I think as long as you keep them in the fridge and use them first, you probably will be okay. If you're worried, do any further canning with new lids. JMHO.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #5
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all. Since they are in the fridge now i guss I'll keep them in there even tho they are taking valuable space. I've read somewhere that if you wanted to start over after you've canned, that you could just fix whatever needs fixing (like an omitted ingredient) and do the hot water bath, etc. But what I want to know most of all is, if I choose to redo them (and I might), do I have to reheat the salsa before the bath? Is it critical that the contents be hot first?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

Yes, in order to be safe, the process must be completely redone. The salsa would have to be brought to boiling and heated through adequately and jars, lids, etc. must be cleaned and resterilized.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Thanks all. Since they are in the fridge now i guss I'll keep them in there even tho they are taking valuable space. I've read somewhere that if you wanted to start over after you've canned, that you could just fix whatever needs fixing (like an omitted ingredient) and do the hot water bath, etc. But what I want to know most of all is, if I choose to redo them (and I might), do I have to reheat the salsa before the bath? Is it critical that the contents be hot first?
As long as they stay sealed just leave it. If the seal breaks then throw it out. There is no safe way to "fix" contaminated canning mistake. Either it is sterile or you don't know...and don't know means don't take a chance.

I have reused lids before, even this year....long as they stay sealed you are fine...but if they break seal because of being reused....throw em out.

I know I am repeating myself here but it seriously isn't worth it. You'll live if a lid pops and you have to throw out a bit of salsa, you might not if botulism gets you.

PS Even if you use new lids...if it pops, throw it out. There are no exceptions to this rule. That's why they make lids that pop. It really is that important.

New lid or old lid means nothing....point is if it pops, throw it out.

The reason they say never use old lids is because they pop more likely....still work great if they don't pop though.

IF IT POPS, THROW IT OUT

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012   #8
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

If you were to "Fix" a problem the moment you realize there is a problem to "fix" and it happens to be the same day you originally canned the foods it would be safe to redo the process on the foods. I wouldn't reprocess anything after the first day to be on the safe side. There are some lids on the market that are reusable over and over again.

Here they are
http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/s....php/shop.html

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012   #9
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I think you are right, Margaret. It would have to be done fairly soon. I did not know there were reusable lids. Thanks for that info!
Old November 26, 2012   #10
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Fair enough. You two are correct. If you want to fix a popped lid the same day you originally processed it. Sure. Not enough time for any contamination to grow. Just can it again as usual.

I was primarily talking about a so called sealed lid that pops later, either due to reusing lids or contamination growing and releasing gasses that cant escape.

I was more talking about the original posters scenario where the canning process seemed successful but the poster was concerned about future potential problems after finding out re using lids is not recommended. In that scenario re canning is dangerous and many people have been harmed trying it. This is because some bacteria and fungi release toxins and even killing the bacteria doesn't always remove the toxin. It would still be dangerous to eat after sterilising.

Sorry.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; November 26, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012   #11
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

We (me and my wife) do not use old lids because we are not sure they are doing their job properly. We observed that old lids fail more often than the new ones.

Regarding your question. If you have some suspicions or worries, better do again the sterilization process using new lids. No damage caused by double sterilization.
Old November 26, 2012   #12
coronabarb

Scott, you are absolutely right. If a lid unseals later, I would not risk eating the food. I would throw it out.
Old November 27, 2012   #13
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Scott, you are absolutely right. If a lid unseals later, I would not risk eating the food. I would throw it out.
Agree 100%

But the question was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Hi, this was my 2nd time canning, and I realized afterwards that I was supposed to use new lids each time. I thought my lids which were carefully taken off the first-time cannings were okay. They seemed to have sealed okay, but all sites I have visited say to use new. Since I already made 5 jars of salsa, which I put in the fridge after they cooled, I plan to go out and buy some more lids tomorrow.
Can I re-lid and put in a hot water bath then? Would I have to heat up the salsa, jars etc before the bath?

Otherwise, I suppose I could freeze the whole mess in freezer bags but I'd rather not.
Thanks!
Suzie
No damage presumed or observed during 24 hours fridge keeping. I think that doing sterilization again using new lids is OK. Describing all process, first must to heat up the salsa, jars etc before the bath and then canning bath.

Last edited by Moshou; November 27, 2012 at 01:37 AM.
Moshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2012   #14
coronabarb

Yes, I was addressing Scott Redbaron's comments. I think all the questions have been discussed now. ;-))