Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 14, 2014   #1
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Default I like the new key hole garden concept!

I just came across this form of a raised bed and was impressed! I plan on making several this year and may use a 50 gallon plastic barrel in the center. Here is a link where they sale products to make them. I think what you havew on hand will work> Has anyone made one of these> I also think its great for a herb garden or even a half dozen tomato garden> , Your daily compost material working quick!

www.keyholefarm.com
Old February 14, 2014   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks like they use something like roofing panels.
It is roofing panels, I am trying to figure out what the tees are and if the tubing is EMT conduit or what.

Looks nice.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; February 14, 2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added babble
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

From the photos it looks like they changed the way they did it.
The later ones look like they are using EMT conduit and PVC tees.
If you look close the tees are threaded with screws in them.

Also Tie wraps.

Nice idea using available products to make something other than what they were intended to be used for.

Worth
Old February 14, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was looking at pictures only if I would have read it says EMT and specially designed PVC tee's.

I went out and measured some 3/4 inch EMT conduit and a 1/2 PVC tee.

The inside diameter of the PVC tee is about 0.840 and the OD of the conduit is 0.925.

After all of the math if a person were to ream or drill the tee so the conduit would fit you would have a wall thickness of 0.0825.

Interesting.

Worth
Old February 14, 2014   #5
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I may have misunderstood your plans, but I think the center tube (where you actually put the waste to be composted) needs to be open to the dirt. Are you going to punch holes in the barrel? Or was the barrel going to be the outside ring?

I've looked at this general concept a few times but I just don't have a good site for the big traditional ones. But I have some big old planters that could be converted into ones a little smaller than the kits they're selling. I do wonder if it'll work on a smaller scale than 6" or so across? Will be interesting to see.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014   #6
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes Worth, it looks like roofing panels but don't the corrugations run in an opposite direction, say on a 30" wide by 10 foot long panel? What other material do you think could be used that would be flexible enough yet durable? Also I wonder if the same concept could be used for a rectangular 4'x12' garden box?

George

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014   #7
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

The bottom of the barrel will be cut partially out! There are a lot of pipe you can use like chimney pipe plastic sewer pipe. I would say about a foot minimum in diameter would work. They use screen or chicken wire which would work also buy I think a barrel or solid pipe would allow the water to stay at the bottom!

Last edited by bobberman; February 14, 2014 at 09:32 PM.
bobberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014   #8
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondgardener View Post
Yes Worth, it looks like roofing panels but don't the corrugations run in an opposite direction, say on a 30" wide by 10 foot long panel? What other material do you think could be used that would be flexible enough yet durable? Also I wonder if the same concept could be used for a rectangular 4'x12' garden box?

George
If you look at the lower pictures it looks like it takes five individual sheets to make one container. What I think I'd make them out of is second hand above ground pool sides. People scrap them all the time around here.

A rectangular box would take much more structure than a circular one. Roll a piece of cardboard around in a circle and see how much stiffer it is compares to a box of the same size. Or a toilet paper tube verses a cereal box.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

George
George if you look close at some of the pictures you will see these are short sections put together to be long.

They are buying roofing panels and cutting them at short lengths.
I can promise you they are roofing panels.

The concept could be used for just about any shape you want.
I have figured out making the Tees also.
Take 3/4 tees and glue a short pipe in them and then drill it out to size for the conduit to fit in.

With a drill press and table saw I could make hundreds of these special tees in a day.

They have set up a jig to bend the EMT they are buying available parts and modifying them or cutting and selling in a kit.
They may be having the tees made but dont think so.
It is an honest product.
I hope these guys are making a killing on these things.
One of the best ideas I have seen in years.
If you add up the price of the parts and labor to make this stuff they aren't charging too much either.

I like it, it is the definition of what our country is all about.

Now that I look closer it may be 1/2 EMT.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; February 14, 2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old February 14, 2014   #10
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Ya old metal swimming pools could make several of them from one pool! I have a old pool about 30 inches high and the metal is fairly heavy . I can see 10 of these for some nice produce ! Metal roofing would also work.! Lets hear some more ideas?? I bet you could find a lot of things at a junk yard or flea market!
Old February 14, 2014   #11
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys for the help...looking through my bifocals correctly, I can see the multiple sheets now. It's thinking about new projects that gets one through this long winter.

Old Proverb
Old February 14, 2014   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The used above ground swimming pool pretty much did it for me.

I'm at a loss for words.

Honey I thought I saw our redneck neighbors in the yard by the pool.
What on earth do you think they could be up to?

Worth
Old February 14, 2014   #13
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Worth,

Zooming in on some of the pictures of the tees, it looks like there may be a sleeve(3/4" sprinkler pipe, that could go over the 1/2" pipe to pass through the tee? Or a split piece of sprinkler pipe?

George

Old Proverb
Old February 14, 2014   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Worth,

Zooming in on some of the pictures of the tees, it looks like there may be a sleeve(3/4" sprinkler pipe, that could go over the 1/2" pipe to pass through the tee? Or a split piece of sprinkler pipe?

George
I saw that too.
If you look at the pictures of the girl putting them together in the house you can see it real clear.

Worth
Old February 15, 2014   #15
easttx_hippie
Tomatovillian™

It looks like a 3/4" tee with a 1/2" bushing. That would give a thicker wall for drilling.

And I'm pretty sure it's 1/2" EMT. The picture with the woman assembling it seems to still have the label on the EMT near the tee by her foot.

I agree, Worth, those are definitely roofing panels. You can probably get four sections per panel. The zip ties are a great idea. My son used then to hold the plastic bumper
together on his car.....six years and still holding.

Mac
easttx_hippie is offline   Reply With Quote