Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 7, 2017   #31
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
Starting very late this year, but still have well into October to see what I can do This year. My existing plants are still doing well, but nothing ripe so far. As usual Carolyn has raised my interest; this time on the Jetstar and Supersonic. I remember years ago when supersonic came out, but nobody bought the plants. Most at the nursery stuck with Bigboy or Rutgers back then.

Anybody have a cutting of the two they could spare? Would gladly pay the shipping to GA.. This will probably be my last year, but would now be interested in comparing the two. If not, no problem. I searched everywhere at the standard distributers of Bonnie Plants earlier for Jetstar but no luck. Now, the mention of Supersonic vs Jetstar sounds like a fun effort.
My plants of Jetstar are sort of just sitting there right now, too small yet for taking any cuttings, but if later you want a few, remind me and I'll send them to you.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #32
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
Anybody have a cutting of the two they could spare? Would gladly pay the shipping to GA.. This will probably be my last year, but would now be interested in comparing the two. If not, no problem. I searched everywhere at the standard distributers of Bonnie Plants earlier for Jetstar but no luck. Now, the mention of Supersonic vs Jetstar sounds like a fun effort.
I picked up 3 decent Jet Star plants on clearance today, if you are still looking. I sent you a PM. A local nursery still has a lot of Jet Stars to get rid of.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #33
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

7-21-17 Same Jet Star(s) I posted earlier. Blossoms now.

edited to upload these directly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9592.jpg (428.3 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9593.jpg (479.0 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by MadCow333; July 21, 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old July 21, 2017   #34
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quite a few pictures are showing up as a speedometer thing with a message saying "Please update your account to enable third party hosting".
Old July 21, 2017   #35
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

photobucket somehow manages to get even worse

fwiw, imgur.com is a much better free image hosting site.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #36
imp
Tomatovillian™

Lovely plants, MadCow! All of my plants have leaf curl from the relentless heat right now, poor babies. Hopeful for a good fall crop, though.
Old July 21, 2017   #37
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I don't use photo bucket or any host, as I can upload directly from my laptop, here at tv and everywhere else. .

On the Jetstar, I might grow one if I can find a plant at BBS. Just to find out what it is.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #38
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Jetstar is not a shining star this year. I re-visited this grower two weeks ago and this week. He is not going to have many tomatoes to sell. The weather (hot) is holding down production. He grew tons last year and sold out.

His method is to grow 150 plants in one section and plant another 150 plants in another section two weeks later. They are presently very small and the foliage is extremely sparse. The plants were barely to my hip for the early section and the later planting looked like my transplants at 8 weeks would look. I could see through the entire field just standing there. There was a green tomato here and there - some plants had none. He took it in stride. We are all having diminished tomato production. He has other produce to sell which is a saving grace for him.

- Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Univ of Neb recommends this as one of their preferred varieties for my area. They also describe it a lower acid, which contradicts other research that pegs most tomatoes as similar in acidity.

I have grown it, typical looking uniform hybrid and no where near 6 feet for me - closer to 4-5. The market grower/neighbor near my partners acreage has hundreds of Jetstar plants, and it is the only variety he grows. He starts them late in his small greenhouse, and I always have earlier varieties. He has customers that come from everywhere for them. To each his own , they are not that awesome that I would go out of my way for his special tomato LOL. It will be a money maker for you, no worries on that.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #39
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Jetstar is not a shining star this year. I re-visited this grower two weeks ago and this week. He is not going to have many tomatoes to sell. The weather (hot) is holding down production. He grew tons last year and sold out.

His method is to grow 150 plants in one section and plant another 150 plants in another section two weeks later. They are presently very small and the foliage is extremely sparse. The plants were barely to my hip for the early section and the later planting looked like my transplants at 8 weeks would look. I could see through the entire field just standing there. There was a green tomato here and there - some plants had none. He took it in stride. We are all having diminished tomato production. He has other produce to sell which is a saving grace for him.

- Lisa
We just got an update from the extension service here... Bacterial speck has gone through our entire area. the plants are sad looking for the most part. We did spray with copper last week and again today. they really looked much better after the copper application. we are actually surprised they look as good as they do.
the tomatoes in the tunnel look superior to the field ones.
Old August 7, 2017   #40
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Although my plants ;look awful I did pick my first jetstar today. boring. I can see where one would say they are low acid. they are just meh... blah... shrug. I will try another one later to compare but I wouldn't grow it again.
Old August 17, 2017   #41
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

8/16/17 tomatoes on the vines. Lots more than you see.
Having massive problems with that leaf spot b/c it's so wet & cool this summer. If it's not rain, it's fog. I trimmed all that blighted stuff off last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JetStar3.jpg (397.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg JetStar2.jpg (480.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg JetStar1.jpg (261.2 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by MadCow333; August 17, 2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old August 17, 2017   #42
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

yours looks fabulous compared to mine. all of mine. not just Jetstar. everything outside has bacterial speck.

madcaow... cool and wet? oyvey! here it has been hot and humid and dry. nothing much for rain most of the Summer again. thankfully I can water but we could use rain.

Last edited by clkeiper; August 17, 2017 at 09:06 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #43
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

Same here. Every single plant is infected. Black varieties going down faster with combination of spot and mold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
8/16/17 tomatoes on the vines. Having massive problems with that leaf spot b/c it's so wet & cool this summer. If it's not rain, it's fog. I trimmed all that blighted stuff off last night.
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #44
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

I have been bleaching and neem-ing and have hosed stuff down with copper twice already. Every morning is heavy dew and / or fog all over the place. This area has its own microclimate due to Shenango River Lake reservoir, I suspect. Humidity is much higher than normal, and August has felt more like early September. We got a couple of high 80s days but cool nights. There are a lot of springs on this property, and the lower part of the property has been swampy all summer. No drought here, that's for sure.

Last edited by MadCow333; August 17, 2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old September 17, 2017   #45
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Got lots of nice beefy tomatoes off of these Jet Star plants. Storms pommeled them and tipped the pots over, so I think these plants are pretty much done for now. They were good producers. These and the Parks Whopper made the most tomatoes per vine. I will have my taste-testers give their verdicts on Jet Star flavor, since I don't eat raw tomato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9775.jpg (557.2 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by MadCow333; September 17, 2017 at 08:24 PM.