Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 31, 2017   #31
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Today. Picked one that I think is almost ripe. Red blush on blossom end but the fruit is mostly dark antho. Plant has quite a few small, about 3-4 oz dark antho hearts with small amt of green showing on the bottoms. No large fruits on the plant, size quite uniform. It's been hot and sunny, the plant looks greener than it used to but still quite dark. No foliage disease/yellowing as yet. The plant is tall and wispy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0097.jpg (272.3 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0099.jpg (350.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0100.jpg (337.8 KB, 139 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #32
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Karen, I hope it tastes as good as it looks. It's beautiful.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2017   #33
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

That's actually looking much closer to normal now. Still darker than usual, but not out of bounds dark. Size on mine went from 10 oz to 2 oz, the smaller were later season.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2017   #34
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

An update from me.

I posted elsewhere that I had one Sgt Pepper plant out there and two days ago Freda brought in some radishes for me,a new one was called Dragon Tongue,so I asked her and she said no,this one was from the Sgt Pepper plant and just fell to the ground.

So what I see to my right in a plastic container are typical radishes and then the cutest green fruit maybe an inch or so tall and a bit wider,with a protuberance at the bottom and nice antho shoulders and a few antho streaks.

I wish I knew if there were still some fruits on that plant since no way is this baby Sgt Pepper is going to do anything, as in DOA.

Carolyn
Old August 1, 2017   #35
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I bet there are more Carolyn, maybe lots more. Does Freda or someone else who visits you have a cell phone? Maybe they could take some pictures of your plants and fruit so you can see them.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2017   #36
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I went back and reread the whole thread. It's amazing how different they can be from one year to the next.

I agree, the pictures idea sounds good.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #37
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

None of my Sgt Peppers tomatoes are showing any antho in the fruit, just the stems. I picked a huge one for supper tonight and it was delicious! Smooth, creamy and tasty

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #38
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Were yours shaded Linda, or out in the direct sunlight? The shoulders will only express in the direct sun. Half of my tomatoes were green then red, and the other half were green/antho shoulders then red/antho shoulders.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #39
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

You asked me that before, and the first enormous tomato was growing low on the plant and I thought that it could have been shaded, but actually it really wasn't and none of the others, growing higher up, have antho either....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8090004.jpg (449.4 KB, 89 views)
Old August 15, 2017   #40
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Those look like a light antho shoulder, not the typical green shoulder. Some of mine showed almost no antho, while others were intermediate. It's the flavor that will get you!

Sorry if I've asked you before

D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SgtPep1 6-1-17.JPG (164.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg SgtPeppers 7-8-17.JPG (167.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg SgtPep2 6-1-17.JPG (133.7 KB, 88 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #41
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sorry. Didn't mean that to sound rude, just that you had asked me, and your question got me wondering if they were getting enough sunlight so I investigated and discovered that they were

The dark green does look as if it should be antho. Not on the first one, but maybe it will come later. Thanks for sharing your pictures

Linda
Old August 15, 2017   #42
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Were yours shaded Linda, or out in the direct sunlight? The shoulders will only express in the direct sun. Half of my tomatoes were green then red, and the other half were green/antho shoulders then red/antho shoulders.
Even the shaded ones in my yard had antho, the force is strong in this one. Lol!
Old August 15, 2017   #43
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Linda, it's still segregating, some don't have antho. The standard for the variety is to have antho, so I would try again with a different plant next season. I have confirmed antho seeds I can give you. Mine still tasted great the first season I tried, but alas, no antho, and as Iva told me" it ain't Sgt. Peppers if no antho". Last season was the real thing.
Old August 16, 2017   #44
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much Marsha. I might take you up on your kind offer, although I really like the one that I have! No disease, healthy, early, tasty. What's not to like? {LOL}

Linda
Old August 16, 2017   #45
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Just based on it's color I'd be interested in seeds from this plant. Let us know how it tastes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Today. Picked one that I think is almost ripe. Red blush on blossom end but the fruit is mostly dark antho. Plant has quite a few small, about 3-4 oz dark antho hearts with small amt of green showing on the bottoms. No large fruits on the plant, size quite uniform. It's been hot and sunny, the plant looks greener than it used to but still quite dark. No foliage disease/yellowing as yet. The plant is tall and wispy.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote