Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 18, 2017   #1
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Default Mexibell

I cant find any pictures on here of anyones Mexibell peppers. Are they really a bell pepper? I have about 12 plants in the garden and they look like oversized cherry bombs. is this normal? I wanted a bell pepper sized med/hot pepper for stuffing. these appear to be perfect for an appetizer filled with salsa at a party.
Old September 18, 2017   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I cant find any pictures on here of anyones Mexibell peppers. Are they really a bell pepper? I have about 12 plants in the garden and they look like oversized cherry bombs. is this normal? I wanted a bell pepper sized med/hot pepper for stuffing. these appear to be perfect for an appetizer filled with salsa at a party.
The largest mexibell is the size of a small bell pepper, but as the season progresses they tend smaller.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

nah, these aren't even the size of a small bell pepper... more like a jumbo cherry bomb. just sad. nothing like the picture in the catalog. it truly looked like a bell pepper.
Old September 18, 2017   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
nah, these aren't even the size of a small bell pepper... more like a jumbo cherry bomb. just sad. nothing like the picture in the catalog. it truly looked like a bell pepper.
In my experience a year ago I got what you describe, was disappointing. But I am sure about them because I used to grow them for years. Only the last time were they small.

They should be like a 3 lobed bell pepper about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of a normal bell.

I didn't grow them this year because of the situation with my late Dad. Was lucky to get anything in the ground at all.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Mine was small too. Seed was from Harris Seeds.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote