Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 4, 2018   #31
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I just can't go hotter than habanero ... Ghost peppers, reapers, pepper x, whatever... would need to be diluted for me to even remotely enjoy it. Plenty of flavor comes with sweet, mild and hots ... anything else just adds the heat and does not contribute to flavor whatsoever. The super-hots may have flavor, but they will only be on the taste buds for a few milliseconds before the heat destroys it. I love hot, really hot. Maybe I just don't like super hot? There is a Jalapeño/Habañero hot sauce on the market called Evil Ooze ... best stuff ever ... eat it with a spoon for a full burn, but a TBLSPN with any pasta dish is perfect! Great as a substitute catsup on burgers and dogs too ... perfect amount of heat and flavor.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #32
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Planted 2 six cell with 2 seeds each
1 Red Ghost Scorpion
2 Carolina Reaper

5 Red Ghost, 1 Reaper... Pink Habs are 100% though 6/6...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #33
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

There are a few varieties, that never germinate for me...
New Big Dwarf
Is a Dud again this year 0 germination...
Jimmy Nardello
Is a dud once again... 0 germination...
I can't get a Joe E Parker seed to crack either, or seeds I saved from a fresh Hatch Green Chili...
Old March 4, 2018   #34
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Ow well, there's plenty more that did!

Last edited by pmcgrady; March 4, 2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old March 4, 2018   #35
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

@ rhines81...

I checked out the Evil Ooze. Looks perfect for me. I'll be ordering tonight!

Jon
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #36
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

The Fiery Foods Show was in my town this weekend. I got to meet Troy Primeaux and his wife and snagged some sauces. I'm growing his 3 Mama's and his 7 Pot this year. He is developing another one he's calling "Creeper" that's not ready for release yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4374.jpg (364.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20180303_152231.jpg (340.6 KB, 42 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #37
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Did you try any of his pepper jelly? He lives a few miles from me and sells to a few stores here but I haven't tried it yet since we make it ourselves. I'm growing his 7 Pot and Big Mustard Mama this year.
Old March 5, 2018   #38
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
There are a few varieties, that never germinate for me...
New Big Dwarf
Is a Dud again this year 0 germination...
Jimmy Nardello
Is a dud once again... 0 germination...
I can't get a Joe E Parker seed to crack either, or seeds I saved from a fresh Hatch Green Chili...
Pmcgrady, I grow Jimmy Nardello every year and save seeds. Germination is excellent and I have lots of seeds. If you would like some send me a pm, would be happy to send .

Jillian
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #39
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I didn't get the jellies only because I'm trying to stay off sugar as much as possible. I know the sauce has sugar but I won't eat as much as I would jelly. I'm already wishing I got some jelly so I will probably order some pretty soon. Its probably a good thing he doesn't live a few miles from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Did you try any of his pepper jelly? He lives a few miles from me and sells to a few stores here but I haven't tried it yet since we make it ourselves. I'm growing his 7 Pot and Big Mustard Mama this year.
Old March 5, 2018   #40
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Pmcgrady, I grow Jimmy Nardello every year and save seeds. Germination is excellent and I have lots of seeds. If you would like some send me a pm, would be happy to send .

Jillian
Thanks for the offer, I don't think it's the seeds. It's me and the new place I'm starting the seeds at, I may need to invest in a heating mat. The window I have my table and lights set up is much cooler the my old house setup. I have a lot of peppers and tomatoes sprouted, but the above named ones, I seem to have trouble with. I've got a dozen types of Aji peppers that had close to 100% germination, but Joe E Parkers started same time, with 3 different sources of seed, had zero sprout... It doesn't make any sense...

Last edited by pmcgrady; March 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old March 5, 2018   #41
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

One thing I am learning is that some seeds take ridiculously long to germinate. I sowed a bunch of seeds on Feb 12, and about 90% sprouted within 10 - 12 days, but I'm still getting sprouts from some that I gave up on and re-sowed.
Old March 5, 2018   #42
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Pepper X will never make it on my to-grow list....ever. lol

My youngest son was making a pizza the other night. He likes hot peppers when mixed in other foods to dilute it. BUt this night I had gone to the freezer to get a green bell pepper. A friend had given me a bag of mixed peppers including jalepenos and seranos and these larger peppers. A quick bite off the end confirmed it was a sweet pepper with just a hint of heat. Showed son how to thinly shaved the frozen pepper for the pizza, and being a cook, he sampled the pepper. THen raced thru the house yelling to me that I am trying to kill him!!!! lol Giving me a sample, I chewed on a small piece, knowing it was sweet......holy moly ! VERY HOT. Spat it out! I rerouted my son quickly to the frig to munch on cheese.... and with his mouth still burning removed the pepper from his pizza.

Only explanation is that when frozen, very cold, my taste buds missed icking up on the heat.

My kids know most of the hot peppers by name so they dont accidently ingest them.lol Jalapenos are our speed. I do wonder about people that enjoy the pain of a hot pepper.....lol...No Pepper X here.

Last edited by Black Krim; March 5, 2018 at 03:38 PM.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Legal opium.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #44
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
I do wonder about people that enjoy the pain of a hot pepper.....lol...No Pepper X here.
Capsaicin releases endorphins and dopamine. You can build up tolerance to the "heat" by starting with milder peppers and working your way up. Your digestive tract however, will tell you when you have reached your "heat" limit.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #45
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

NOW I understand Worth's comment. lol

My son has low dopamine--in all my reading THIS chemical/veg has never come up. Hmmmm..... a cheaper treatment... for ADD/ADHD....
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote