Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old June 23, 2015   #1
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Default Film vs Fabric - Thoughts?

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,

Just wanted to get some opinions on coverings.. At the moment I have Sunmaster 6 mil film on the hoophouse.. I went with it because of the 92% transmission rate compared to the 85% on the 12 mil clear woven fabric. I question my decision because it has only been one year and I already have a tear! It has a 4 year warranty so I may just put in for it, but for all the trouble of disassembling the roll-up sides/wiggle wire etc, I'd rather just do it right. I'm just a little apprehensive with the added 7% decrease in light transmission..
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #2
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a summer grow. I dont think the plants need it. Many will chalk the greenhouse covering in summer. Winter might be another story.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #3
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Nah that's why I purchased it last year.. Sick and tired of septoria and the like wiping me out lol.. I decided that never again will a rain drop caress my beautiful leaves haha.. Hedges my bets at the very least.. and I can play in the garden even when it's down pouring! lol nothing like it..
Old June 23, 2015   #4
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

We have a misunderstanding They dont need the 7% extra transmission in summer.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #5
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

I see what you're saying now ... I thought you meant to scrap the covering all together..
Old June 23, 2015   #6
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Agree, the light transmission is a mute point in summer as they will get plenty of sun.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #7
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Thanks gents.. It's strange, there's a noticeable difference between the light at the edge of the doors (outside the hoophouse), and the interior (filtered through the film). I have some pollen etc that doesn't seem to want to wash off.. Maybe it just needs a gentle scrubbing..