Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 20, 2017   #16
b54red
Tomatovillian™

So far I can't see a lot of difference in the ones under the shade cloth but then again they were set out at least 3 weeks later. The plants look good and are blooming like crazy and I am pinching most of the off because the plants are a foot or less tall and I know from experience letting those small plants make peppers results in poor production long term for me. I am letting several in the first bed go ahead and make some peppers early. They look ridiculous being about a foot tall with a couple of peppers the size of softballs hanging on them; but I want a few early peppers to add to my cucumber, onion and tomato salads.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #17
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Greenhousemegastwre also has shade cloth in bulk form. It is not finished with tape and grommets but I have been using it for years because it does not unravel and can be cut to whatever size you want. I buy a large piece and then cut it into what I need.
The 40% offers it in 6' wide pieces and 12'. If you want a 12 X 5 it will be about $11.25 plus shipping. The 6 x 12 (there is no remade 5' - you have to use the 12' and then have them cut 5') would be about $14 plus shipping. They are really good quality. I use them every year when I first plant the tomato seedlings here in PA because inevitably that's when the heat hits! Here is a link:
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...shade-material
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #18
schill93
Tomatovillian™

I just checked it out. You have to spend at least $60 on one piece or they will add a minimum $20 charge.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #19
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by schill93 View Post
I just checked it out. You have to spend at least $60 on one piece or they will add a minimum $20 charge.
Yeah, that's the only thing about their store. On the other hand, if you need a bunch of stuff for the garden then their prices are great.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #20
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I use this for my mini tunnel https://www.amazon.com/Agfabric-12x2...50+shade+cloth . Lowers temps 15 degrees. I plant my peppers so they only get 8 hours of sun. Mostly in shade after 3pm. Another thing that works well for sun scald issues is this https://www.groworganic.com/surround-25-lb.html With the added benefit of repelling several pest.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #21
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Just a little follow up on the peppers I cut off below the first fork. They looked pretty bad for a while but now that the new growth coming from the lower leaf nodes has taken off they are starting to look a lot better and if they continue to grow like they are they will be much more dense plants which may or may not be good. I'll just have to wait and see.

The bells I set out under the shade cloth have almost caught up with the ones in the sun as far as size and they are starting to put on a good set of blooms. I'm hoping they set a lot of fruit because it would be nice to not lose so many to sun scald every year.

Bill
Old June 1, 2017   #22
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

You know, now that I think about it, topping is sometimes recommended, but I don't recall anyone suggesting that a grower prune out the foliage of a pepper plant as they do tomatoes. Sometimes you'll get suckers and those can go, but pruning for space?

I had a great candidate to try it on last year, but it is no longer among the living.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #23
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My aluminet shade cloth arrived today. It looks like a space blanket.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #24
schill93
Tomatovillian™

I ordered that too. I like that it is nice and light (not heavy) Worry about it blinding my neighbors though.
Old June 3, 2017   #25
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

In Nevada? Yeah that may be a real concern.

So how much light gets through?

- Will Rogers

Old June 3, 2017   #26
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
In Nevada? Yeah that may be a real concern.

So how much light gets through?
I purchased 60% which is used here in the extreme desert by some. So that allows 40% light through. I only put it up end of May when temperatures were hitting 100. It will range from 100 to 117 degrees for the next three months.
Old June 3, 2017   #27
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

shade cloth for peppers ? I thought they can handle the heat better than tomatoes !!
Mine are getting almost 12 hours of sun and look happy. Of course i is only early June.
But we have had many days of 90F ++ days in My and so far in June.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2017   #28
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

NC is not NV.

- Will Rogers

Old June 4, 2017   #29
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Cheap Shade - Old Window Screens

I usually shade my peppers for at least 2 weeks when I first plant them out. I grow most of them in 4 x 4 garden boxes which will hold nine plants. I use the small wire cages and I put a couple of old window screens on top and tie them to the cages. I get my window screens at Habitat for Humanity for $1.00 a piece. They have multiple sizes, all the same price. They also work great on the boxes where I plant squash seed and cucumber seed. I just put them on the boxes until the plants sprout and start to touch the screens.
They help keep the birds away from the young seedlings. I just planted by eggplants out on Saturday. It was a blazing sunny day and no problem because I used the screens over them.
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #30
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
shade cloth for peppers ? I thought they can handle the heat better than tomatoes !!
Mine are getting almost 12 hours of sun and look happy. Of course i is only early June.
But we have had many days of 90F ++ days in My and so far in June.
I have had far more problems with sun scald on bell peppers than on tomatoes. I tried shading my tomatoes one year and found that I got spindlier plants with less fruit. Our sun is pretty intense here but we only get above 100 now and then but we hover just under 100 for months some summers. But what makes it bearable is the near 100% humidity that goes with it.

Bill