Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 12, 2017   #46
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
The shading has cut the sun scald by 80% or more and the plants in the shade are actually making larger peppers and just as many as the ones in full sun.
Although I'm trying to keep heat in rather than out, that has been my experience also. When saving seed, I grow peppers in PVC cages covered with Agribon. Those plants set more peppers than those grown in the open, and there are almost no losses due to sunscald or insect damage. I have to watch for aphid infestation though; protected from predators, their numbers inside the cage can explode. If that happens, I open the cage, mark all peppers set, and predators (usually wasps) wipe out the aphids within a week or so.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #47
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Today's peppers, just starting to get bells changing colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #48
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I am right now in the process of shopping for a few more varieties of bell peppers after last year where TSWV got nearly all of them before the end of July. Usually the best pepper come for me from September through early December but when you lose them all by mid summer you miss such a great pepper growing time of the year down here. I have already planted a couple of new ones Carolina Wonder and Charleston Belle that I found that are resistant to fusarium wilt and they are doing fine with little or no signs of it affecting them. The trouble with them is they produce smaller bells than I prefer and they are having some foliage disease issues. It hasn't gotten bad enough to hinder production much but I would like to find a few varieties with more tolerance to the bacterial and virus foliage diseases that hit peppers frequently. Socrates seems to always produce better and larger peppers but they do suffer some of those diseases and some years pretty badly. I am trying a couple of newer ones called Couger, Touchdown, and Red Bull but so far this year none of them seem as productive as Socrates. Another problem is I can't find Socrates seed anymore and Red Knight and King Arthur which are similar never produced nearly as well for me. If any one has any suggestions I would love to hear them. I would also like to find a large very productive Jalapeno.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #49
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Nice! The peach looks interesting, how's it taste?
Like a habanero and it is like a firecracker in you mouth instantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Typically color sports don't taste any different. But sometimes they do. I suspect those of being crosses rather than sports.
Read above.

Great haul, Rajun. Love the colors. What do you think of the pod shape of the peach DT? To me it seems smoother with a more rounded bottom. And very odd ripening change. A cross, maybe? Please save seed and try next year to see if it's anywhere near stable. Could become popular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I think it taste and smells like a Habnero. It's oily and the heat kicks in instantly and it's full blast for a few minutes before it starts subsiding slowly. It's hotter than a Hab but I didn't taste any after notes because of the intense heat and it made my mouth start watering almost instantly. I rarely eat fresh hot peppers so I can't give a good review.
I just had the devils tongue and the Peach.
devils tongue sort of hot but sweet.
Peach like a habanero and darn hot and that was from the tip.
No eyes watering nose running or anything though.
Addictive very flavorful on both counts.
Saving seeds from both.

Lemon drop I grew still tastes like an old ladies makeup case.
Reminds me of the weird flavored jelly bellies.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #50
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Yup, just one good plant in all my efforts. AjiAmarillo from Artisan. A ton of effort, started early,
pinched the top, it made a nice canopy...others are a lanky mess and no fruit. So at least I know
what I need to do.
...buy them for cheap at the Asian market.
And order from the HatchChiliStore on-line.
A shame I just don't have the climate. I will not give up and give it another go next year....
maybe try and over-winter the leggy ones and pinch back.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #51
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am right now in the process of shopping for a few more varieties of bell peppers after last year where TSWV got nearly all of them before the end of July. Usually the best pepper come for me from September through early December but when you lose them all by mid summer you miss such a great pepper growing time of the year down here. I have already planted a couple of new ones Carolina Wonder and Charleston Belle that I found that are resistant to fusarium wilt and they are doing fine with little or no signs of it affecting them. The trouble with them is they produce smaller bells than I prefer and they are having some foliage disease issues. It hasn't gotten bad enough to hinder production much but I would like to find a few varieties with more tolerance to the bacterial and virus foliage diseases that hit peppers frequently. Socrates seems to always produce better and larger peppers but they do suffer some of those diseases and some years pretty badly. I am trying a couple of newer ones called Couger, Touchdown, and Red Bull but so far this year none of them seem as productive as Socrates. Another problem is I can't find Socrates seed anymore and Red Knight and King Arthur which are similar never produced nearly as well for me. If any one has any suggestions I would love to hear them. I would also like to find a large very productive Jalapeno.

Bill

I guess I'm lucky, my peppers have been disease free so far. I lost 7 plants due to straight line winds but that's it. The big bells that are doing well for me are Yellow Monster, Chinese Giant, Douce D' Espange, Etuida, Enjoya F2 and Big Bertha. I've never had any luck growing jalapeños until this year growing Biker Billy a hybrid from Burpee. They are big, productive and HOT.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #52
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

pic of peppers would make for a good print to put on kitchen wall. festive.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #53
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I guess I'm lucky, my peppers have been disease free so far. I lost 7 plants due to straight line winds but that's it. The big bells that are doing well for me are Yellow Monster, Chinese Giant, Douce D' Espange, Etuida, Enjoya F2 and Big Bertha. I've never had any luck growing jalapeños until this year growing Biker Billy a hybrid from Burpee. They are big, productive and HOT.
I am making a lot of peppers so far but I am also experiencing increasing disease pressure with the constant showers followed by or preceded by 100 degree temperatures. I did lose a couple of plants earlier one to TSWV which I pulled promptly and one that seemed to be suffering from fusarium wilt. The rest are producing quite a few nice peppers but some are damaged by various diseases and pests. I am just trying to find a bell that is a bit more resistant to the constant disease pressure which is part of gardening down here. When we have a very wet summer like this year that pressure only increases and is much harder to fight with fungicides.

This has been my best year ever for Jalapenos mainly due to just one plant that has grown like a weed and produced like a cherry tomato. Surprisingly my Jalapenos have been extremely hot this year despite all the rain.

Bill
Old August 16, 2017   #54
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Peppers

Quote:

Bill
Bill, I used to grow Socrates too, it has been replaced by Revolution. Same shape, same thick walls, better yield. I like Jalafuego from TGS. Revolution in my hand, JF on the front of the pile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0198.JPG (374.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0204.JPG (376.8 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by AKmark; August 16, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017   #55
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Wow... that's in Alaska??? Impressive.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #56
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Bill, I used to grow Socrates too, it has been replaced by Revolution. Same shape, same thick walls, better yield. I like Jalafuego from TGS. Revolution in my hand, JF on the front of the pile.
Those peppers look fantastic. It is nice to see a pile of bells that don't show any spots from diseases and pests and no obvious sun scald. I am having a very good pepper year as far as production and fruit set is concerned but I am also having a lot of damaged fruit both from bug stings, diseases and sun scald. When I pick those damaged peppers they have to be used immediately or they will tend to ruin very quickly.

I have been growing Revolution for about four or five years and it is also a good pepper but it has never produced like Socrates. It also has one flaw that makes it inferior and that is a thick tough skin. Maybe the difference in skin is only something that happens in our hot and humid climate. Revolution also seems to be not much more disease tolerant than Socrates but at least the seeds are still available.

I can't remember all the Jalapenos I have grown but I do believe Jalafuego was one of or the best I have tried. I will probably be reordering it for next year. Thanks.

I was planning on spraying my peppers and tomatoes for whiteflies at daylight this morning but due to an arthritis flare up I am unable to do the walking required this morning so hopefully it will ease by this afternoon and I can get that chore done. Whiteflies are wrapping everything up right now and I'm sure they are helping spread diseases. They are another of those hard to get under control pests once they get bad.

Bill
Old August 17, 2017   #57
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I have been growing Revolution for about four or five years and it is also a good pepper but it has never produced like Socrates. It also has one flaw that makes it inferior and that is a thick tough skin. Maybe the difference in skin is only something that happens in our hot and humid climate. Revolution also seems to be not much more disease tolerant than Socrates but at least the seeds are still available.

I can't remember all the Jalapenos I have grown but I do believe Jalafuego was one of or the best I have tried. I will probably be reordering it for next year. Thanks.
Bill
It certainly is amazing how different areas have different results. I can barely tell any difference between the two varieties. Good luck with your season, I may still have some Socrates seeds laying around, if I find them I will send them your way.
Mark
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #58
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think us southerners need to grow in greenhouses in the winter to get good results.
The only difference would be day length.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #59
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

These were purchased peppers from Darn Hot Peppers of Cobden, IL. I spent $3 total. They sell prepared pepper products on their web site: https://www.darnhotpeppers.com/

The pic is heatless hab "NuMex Trick or Treat," yellow jalapeno "NuMex Lemon Spice" and Fatali. All of them were good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20170813_120024.jpeg (216.1 KB, 87 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2017   #60
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

https://www.darnhotpeppers.com/

Man, I want to send them money just for using the spellings and naming conventions I agree with. (The "habanero" does look odd, and I'm not seeing Fatalii at all.)
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote