Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 7, 2017   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Pitelca

I picked 17 Pitelca peppers yesterday and was wondering why I wanted to grow them, because I generally don't grow hot peppers, and this one sure looks like a hot pepper!
So I tasted a tiny bit at the end: kind of sweet. Then I cut one open to save the seeds, tasted a bit more (nice heat), and washed my hands. A couple minutes later I brushed some hair out of my face, and apparently I touched my face near my eye with a finger -- hot!!! But it did finally go away. Now I know I need to be cautious.

I think this is the description (iirc from spacetogrow.?) that appealed to me...early and small plant.
"Pitelca (Extremely early, small paprika-type with modest heat; branches often cascade. Seed Savers Exchange got it from Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics & Crop Plant Research in Gatersleben, Germany, but I believe it originated as a Romanian heirloom.)"
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Yes, capsaicin is like a wax and very difficult to wash off with conventional means. Gives you "Hunan Hands." With tender inexperienced hands this can make your fingers burn, but over time you tend to develop a relative immunity. With very hot peppers, though, you want to take precautions, e.g. gloves, dipping your fingers in oil first, or using the Secret Ninja Two-Knife technique where your fingers never touch the pod.

Oh yes, avoid having to use the bathroom, so beer contraindicated.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I must be getting immune to them I never wear gloves.
But I dont wallow my hands on the inside of the peppers either.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #4
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default DM, The Man

Quote:
Secret Ninja Two-Knife technique
Now that you've spilled it, you're going to have to spell it out. (Be a real man and protect the everyday peeps from the deadly capsaicin.)
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #5
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Those that have a ninja heart yet the tender fingers of a gaijin will have divined the true nature of knife vs. pod combat. So forgive the redundancy.

You can safely handle a pod before cutting. I usually hold the pod while cutting around the calyx.

After the initial cut, and you need to cut again or seed, instead of holding the pod with your other hand, use a second small knife to pin it to the board. The rounded end of a bread knife works well for scraping the seeds out of split pods while another knife pins it.

The Technique can be awkward at first and takes more time, but it keeps your fingertips from melting. Check it out.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Last edited by dmforcier; August 24, 2017 at 12:34 PM.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote