Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 21, 2017   #1
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Default Overwintering in warm conditions

So I have these 2 Jalapeno plants, and they produce nicely but the plants just aren't growing big enough by the time winter comes. So I thought about overwintering them. They are already in pots.
Now, the only place I really could move them is the cellar, where it's dark, (no windows) and rather warm, it's definitely more than 15C (60F). Could that work?
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

If you don't trim them way back, they'll need light. Can you set a big fluorescent fixture above?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

No, it's not even my cellar. What happens if they don't have light? They would have to stay indoors around 5 months at least I estimate.
Old August 21, 2017   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

They'll drop all their leaves and largely cease water uptake, making them very susceptible to root rot. Probably die.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #5
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

i have tried in my enclosed carport where it stays above freezing. Plants last until spring with green showing in their stems and even hold onto a leaf or two only to die in spring.

Going to try trimming a little Apache and just bring it indoors by a window this year.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #6
agee12
Tomatovillian™

According to Worth jalapenos are fairly easy to overwinter. If the lack of sun is an issue perhaps you can overwinter outside. I don't know how harsh the winters are where you are but you can cut the plant back and then mulch around the container. If you need additional protection then you can create a greenhouse effect by either putting the plant in its container in a larger clear plastic container surrounded by mulch. Depending on how big the roots are you can even put the plant in a clear/opaque bottle or jug and let that be the greenhouse.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017   #7
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

There are some winters a few days at minus 20 (-4F), so that's not an option.
Seems all I can do is beg a friend with a bigger house to just keep it over winter in his apartment and hope it'll survive. Worth a shot anyway.
Old August 23, 2017   #8
SacFly
Tomatovillian™

I'm assuming they're in big pots. Cut the plant way back. A foot and a half of main stem and a few secondary branches 6 inches long. You'll be cutting off 95% of the leaves. Cut the rootball down to whatever size you can manage. I overwinter in 2 gallon pots, but you could probably go a bit smaller. Stick it in a pot and throw it in a corner. Water it sparingly until new growth starts in the spring.

Viel Glueck!
SacFly is offline   Reply With Quote