Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 21, 2017   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweetie Peppers from Territorial

I received Territorial's commercial grower's catalog yesterday, and the "sweetie" peppers stood out to me. The catalog says they are new. http://www.territorialseed.com/categ..._pepper_seed/2
http://www.territorialseed.com/product/pp716

I have Crunch Sweet Orange, so I don't need the Orange Sweetie. But the others would make a nice mix, especially with the purple. The lunch box mix from Johnny's is really good, but they don't have a purple pepper in the mix. The Sweeties also look a little bigger than the lunch box.

Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2017   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

they look just like the "yummy" variety. which always seem to be marketed as hybrids and they are not. I think they have so few seeds in each peppers they charge hybrid prices for the,. the orange ones are the tastiest. the others...meh. the purple ones look like a great addition though.
Old November 21, 2017   #3
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Mighty Mini peppers are similar also. The purple ones look like Oda peppers sold by Baker Creek.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2017   #4
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Mighty Mini peppers are similar also. The purple ones look like Oda peppers sold by Baker Creek.
I was thinking the same thing
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2017   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone grown Oda? it is the one my friend had at the market and (Oda) is quite a bit bigger than Yummy or the lunch box series, but not a huge pepper... more like a small szegedi. pointed bottom round shoulders. not flat like the lunchbox yummy series. good producer but not nearly as sweet as the orange yummy.
https://www.rareseeds.com/search/?keyword=Oda

Last edited by clkeiper; November 22, 2017 at 08:20 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2017   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have never grown the Yum-Yum peppers. Based on everyone's collective experience, are they the same as the Lunchbox? Has anyone saved seed and grown it out? I actually have a big bag of saved Lunch Box seed I never planted.
Old November 22, 2017   #7
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I have never grown the Yum-Yum peppers. Based on everyone's collective experience, are they the same as the Lunchbox? Has anyone saved seed and grown it out? I actually have a big bag of saved Lunch Box seed I never planted.
I bought a bag of peppers called Mighty Minis last year they are a mix I guess, some yellow, orange and red. Some are mini bell some shaped like jalapeño I think the yum yums are the same. I saved seed and grew 6 plants this year they grew true. One plant produced peppers just like Sweet Orange Crunch (seeds from you), couldn't tell them apart.
Old November 22, 2017   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I think they are the same...just my opinion. but I grow only the orange of the "YUMMI/Y"... not "yum yum". they are the ones with flavor. they all look the same and I think it was a way to get people to buy "their" collection of seeds. When I started growing them there were no yum yum or lunchbox mix only yummy-orange yellow or red. the Yummy, I do believe, came via Hungary. nor were they hybrids. now they are sold as hybrids.
Old November 23, 2017   #9
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing one or two plants of a dozen or more varieties. I would love to have a whole row of each type and call it good. I wish I could limit myself to a few that are prolific and don't take all summer to produce. Still looking for the magic pepper.

A Yummy type , hybrid Giant Marconi (patience with this one though), sweet banana, a mild jalapeno, a red/green bell and an orange bell, and one of my new faves Peppadew (thanks to HTG).

This one is new to me. How long did the Sweet Orange Crush take to start producing a good flush?

- Lisa

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017   #10
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I've been growing one or two plants of a dozen or more varieties. I would love to have a whole row of each type and call it good. I wish I could limit myself to a few that are prolific and don't take all summer to produce. Still looking for the magic pepper.

A Yummy type , hybrid Giant Marconi (patience with this one though), sweet banana, a mild jalapeno, a red/green bell and an orange bell, and one of my new faves Peppadew (thanks to HTG).

This one is new to me. How long did the Sweet Orange Crush take to start producing a good flush?

- Lisa

- Lisa

This was the first year I grew Sweet Orange Crunch, but I'd say it's a mid season pepper it produced a lot of green peppers that took awhile to turn orange, when they did I was picking every couple of days. I'm growing them again, probably the best tasting sweet peppers I grew this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 23, 2017   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
This was the first year I grew Sweet Orange Crunch, but I'd say it's a mid season pepper it produced a lot of green peppers that took awhile to turn orange, when they did I was picking every couple of days. I'm growing them again, probably the best tasting sweet peppers I grew this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is the sweetest orange crunch the pepper in the front bottom right outside of the bag? That looks exactly like Yummy orange.
Old November 24, 2017   #12
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Yes lower right corner and the ones in the bag are SOC. Others are assorted cheese peppers and a lone Golden Treasure.
Old November 24, 2017   #13
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I think those look exactly like orange yummy peppers. And if the golden treasure is the one I picked up from another vendor at my husband's market...it also was an excellent pepper.
When I get back home on Monday I will try to remember to get a photo of what I have left in the cooler.
Old November 24, 2017   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Golden Treasure was great for me the past two years. Last summer, Ajvarski Sweet and Sweetest Pepper were my favorite red peppers. They were had to tell apart in flavor, both very good. Ajvarski has more of a wedge shape and Sweetest is more bull horn shaped.
Old November 24, 2017   #15
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Golden Treasure was great for me the past two years. Last summer, Ajvarski Sweet and Sweetest Pepper were my favorite red peppers. They were had to tell apart in flavor, both very good. Ajvarski has more of a wedge shape and Sweetest is more bull horn shaped.
I only got 2 Golden Treasures planted a lot of the peppers got BER and had bad spots on them, must have something to do with watering.