Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 10, 2018   #16
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for Melrose. It is one of the earliest-ripening peppers I've grown, and very productive as well. The ripe peppers are thin walled, but very sweet & crunchy.

Tennessee Cheese has also been fairly reliable, ripening at least a few peppers even in less than ideal summers. It is a thick-walled pimento type.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #17
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Jung carries one called Margaret's that's worth a try. It's thick walled, early and productive...and it tastes great too!
Old February 12, 2018   #18
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
I couldn't resist and bought this one while browsing all the freshly arrived seed packs at local garden store - I have no idea if it is a good one - simply called Red Bell and there is no mention of flavour, hmmm - not exactly early either
let me know if you'd like a few (not a general offer folks)

http://mckenzieseeds.com/product-dir...pper-red-bell/
PNW,

Many thanks for your very kind offer, but at 95-105 days (to a mature green?), I doubt that I would get a red pepper before frost .

If you decide to grow these, I would start the seeds very early.

Cheers,
Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018   #19
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longlake View Post
Jung carries one called Margaret's that's worth a try. It's thick walled, early and productive...and it tastes great too!
Thankd . Margaret's looks like a winner!

BTW Jung says it's a hybrid, but I very much doubt that since I read on another site that the seed originally came from Hungary and was given to Jung......

Linda
Old February 12, 2018   #20
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
Another vote for Melrose. It is one of the earliest-ripening peppers I've grown, and very productive as well. The ripe peppers are thin walled, but very sweet & crunchy.

Tennessee Cheese has also been fairly reliable, ripening at least a few peppers even in less than ideal summers. It is a thick-walled pimento type.
Thanks! I think I'll grow several of the Melrose peppers!

Tennesee Cheese looks awfully cute!

Linda
Old February 12, 2018   #21
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I grow an OP named "Odessa Market" which I purchased from an EBay seller in London, Ont a few years ago. It is one of the few which ripens here in Zone 3a.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018   #22
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I grow an OP named "Odessa Market" which I purchased from an EBay seller in London, Ont a few years ago. It is one of the few which ripens here in Zone 3a.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018   #23
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That sounds like a winner! Apparently, it comes from Odessa on the Black Sea rather than the Odessa that is very near me in Eastern Ontario.

I must add that one to my list. I think I will be growing a lot of peppers this season

Thanks,
Linda
Old February 13, 2018   #24
bower
Tomatovillian™

I found one in my stash that I haven't grown - "Romanian", shape similar to Lipstick. These are peppers that start pale yellow instead of green, so I wonder if they're any good at the yellow stage. All my pepper seeds are years old now, I hope they germinate. Let me know if you want some Jimmy N. If not for this year I will have fresh seeds for next.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2018   #25
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

I've trialed many early sweet pepper varieties:
Alesya (Belarusian CV)
Troyka (Belarusian CV)
Zdorovie (Russian CV)
Pervenets Sibiri (Russian CV from Siberia)
Winni the Pooh (from Pridnestrovie)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #26
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I started 36 peppers last Friday and 9 tonight. Some are old seed of generic Burpee bell seeds from 2011, so not counting on those. About a dozen OP seeds like Tolli's that weren't outstanding but don't want to waste. Yellow Marconi that didn't make it last year and Red Marconi.

Also an old Flavorburst packet, Giant Marconi Hybrid, Tricked You for Hybrids.
Will start a few container peppers for garden club ladies next month.

What I'm really excited about are two peppers from the farmers market One I have marked
bell and the other marconi. They were both gigantic last year in my garden. I bought them both starting to turn red. in late summer. I still have the original seed and now a few saved as well. I am assuming they are hybrids, so fingers crossed on the F3.

- Lisa

Will look towards this thread for next year.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; February 14, 2018 at 01:25 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #27
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Lisa, Good luck on the germination! I'm itching to start something, but I'm away from home for a month or so

Bower, thanks for your kind offer of Jimmy N. I can't remember if I received him in the Cdn swap, so if not, I'll definitely ask you to save me some seeds for next year.

"Romanian" sounds interesting! It seems that all those Romanian peppers go through a yellow stage and I have read that they are tasty then, so I hope you will be able to find out and let me know if you agree .

Linda