Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 22, 2007   #1
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Default Corn meal?

A co-worker and I were chatting about her garden, and she told me she found information on the USDA Web site about using corn meal to help combat tomato diseases.

Her plants had experienced a sudden bout of mysterious wilt.

She said she sprinkled about one or two tablespoonsful of organic corn meal at the base of the plants, and removed diseased leaves. Result: the plants are healthy and the wilt is apparently halted.

Has anyone else here heard of this?

Thanks.
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2007   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I'd be interested in looking at the web site if she could find the link to it again.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2007   #3
johno
Tomatovillian™

I read about that somewhere, too. It was too late for me to work it in the soil before planting, but I've dusted the tomato plants with it a couple of times (heavily,) and last time I sprayed them (1 cup per gallon, soak overnight, strain.) I think the dustings worked because we were having daily rains at the time, and everything was constantly wet.

All three times, I had done it because of visible problems. All three times, the spread of disease was halted for several days.

I will definitely work it into the soil before planting next year, as a preventative. It seems to help.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2007   #4
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Corn meal! Who would have known! Thanks for posting this, I will definitely use it next year!

Hilde
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2007   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I've read more about corn gluten than corn meal as an antifungal. Results vary. And I have no experience with this at all, other than reading online via Google and reading the reports that others have posted.

A plant that has branches that wilt could be due to several things. What first comes to mind is Verticillium b'c at least in my area plants can outgrow that systemic disease.

I too would like to see that link referred to above b'c while I can't remember her name right now, she's a lady who invites folks to do various experiements with organic materials and she used to post at GW.

When she reported back the results with, I think it was corn meal, there was a large variation in how effective folks thought it was. AS for controls, I don't remember if there were any.

I can't see how it can do anything for the tomato foliage diseases though, which are the major diseases that tomatoes experience.
Old July 23, 2007   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

There are also claims that cornmeal will control fungus in lawns. I happen to have a fungus problem in my st augustine and plan to pick up cornmeal this afternoon from my local feed store. Will apply at 20 lbs per 1000 sqft as recommended and see what happens
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2007   #7
biermaster
Tomatovillian™

Default corn Meal

Go to: www.dirtdr.com and read there is a section on it. I have used it on my plants and did not see that it helped. I did see that some people use it as a foot soak for nail fungus. I did have a large section come off the nail bed that I was able to cut off and I have had some relief with itching.
Old July 24, 2007   #8
flying mater
Tomatovillian™

Don't know if its the same as the other link, but this is the one I have for it.

http://gardening.about.com/od/naturalorganiccontrol/qt/Cornmeal.htm

Bill S
flying mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2007   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here's a blurb from beorganic website. Ami
Howard Garrett has been talking about corn meal for use as a fungicide on most plants and grasses.

The ingredients that make up the different blends of "horticultural corn meal" have given them specific target treatments:

1. BED PREPARATION - Wheat Bran/Corn Meal Soil Amendment with Molasses is used at 10-50 pounds per 100 square feet as a source for nutrients, organic matter and cornmeal's natural disease control. It can be used as the primary bed prep material or mixed with any of the commonly recommended organic additives.

2. DISEASE CONTROL - Use Corn Meal for root or soil borne fungus problems at 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Cornmeal works as a disease fighter in the soil by stimulating beneficial micro-organisms that feed on pathogens such as brown patch in St. Augustine, damping off in seedlings and other fungal diseases. Use cornmeal at about two pounds per 100 square feet to help control any soil borne fungal diseases on both food and ornamental crops. One application may be all that is needed, but multiple applications are okay if necessary because cornmeal serves as a mild organic fertilizer and soil builder.

The cornmeal needs moisture to activate. Rain won't hurt cornmeal's efficacy because, like all organic products, it is not water-soluble.
Old August 13, 2007   #10
tigahb8
Tomatovillian™

Most of the time the "cornmeal" is the feed type you buy
@ feed stores, I have also heard it can be used as a pre
emergent herbicide (as can corn gluten) now as far as
the fungal aspects I have not come across this before,
I have searched locally for "corn meal" but due to Bio
Diesel it is almost impossible to find, But I will give it
a try if I can locate some.
tigahb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2007   #11
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

I thought corn gluten was strictly used as the pre-emergent herbicide not as a fungicide.

Corn meal, on the other hand is used as fungal 'inhibitor' as mentioned above.

I didn't think they were interchangeable.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote