Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 2, 2006   #1
David52
Tomatovillian™

Default Propalaxis for 'curly top' virus?

I had problems this spring in the greenhouse with several hundred plants I was growing for commercial resale. This was diagnosed by the county extension officer as 'curly top' virus, which he said was transmitted by leaf hoppers. I destroyed the infected plants. I also didn't try to sell any this spring, which was somewhat of a financial loss.

What precautions should I take for next year? I had mixed my own potting soil, and composted any that was left from this fiasco. The seed was a mixture of purchased and saved, I'd never had a problem with either before. It seems, in retrospect, that I must have been spreading it when I transplanted certain flats, as some were infected, the neighboring ones, jammed up together, were not.

And a big howdy to you guys, I missed you. Allison, the Vorlon are on their second generation and are wonderful, and I have a huge, potted Thai chili that is also in its second year of existance. Carolyn, I am, as usual, enjoying the OTV, with a half dozen plants this year.
Old July 2, 2006   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I do not think I can help much but I wanted to say a few things. First welcome. I am from Colorado myself! (up in the sticks of Rangely) 2nd I would always use new sterile potting mix and 3rd and most important is NEVER EVER bring anything back in the Greenhouse once it has left. This brings on many pests who have no natural enemies to kill them. They just party away. I KNOW better but this Last winter I wanted Fresh Habeneros so I overwintered a pepper plant. HUGE problems. The greenhouse needs to stay as sterile and clean as possible. Best wishes and Happy Gardening-Rena
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote