Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 3, 2014   #1
Miss Lynne
Tomatovillian™

Default Completely replace container soil?

Ramping up to plant this year and realized I'm unsure of how to transition last years containers to begin this years garden. Backstory: last year was my first year container gardening as I've always had a yard. I had a very successful season with a rooftop garden of 25+ containers ranging from 10 gallon -25 gallon. At the end of the season I pulled all plants from the containers, roots and all. Now I am left with containers of dirt. Do I need to trash the soil left behind and start completely over with all new mix? Or could I reuse the dirt with addition of compost, fish meal or other additives?
I'd like to avoid hauling huge amounts of dirt down through a condo building but on the flip side don't want to be lazy and risk jeopardizing this years garden.

Thoughts?
Miss Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #2
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

I just add to mine. Every other season, i dump several of my containers in a cart and stir it all up. I add whatever amendments i think is necessary and then refill the containers.
Doing it like this has worked pretty well for me. I use very little "dirt", mostly compost, vermiculite, pine bark fines and bagged soilless mix. I use a good amount of coffee grounds also.

I have several friends who just add compost, mix it a little and plant it. They don't seem to have many problems.

Ken

P.S....Welcome to Tomatoville, you'll love it here.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if it depends on the specific plants you grew last year? Some plants like tomatoes are very prone to disease. You certainly would not want to transfer the disease to new plants. I have re-used....especially if I am changing crops in the containers.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #4
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4230 View Post
I just add to mine. Every other season, i dump several of my containers in a cart and stir it all up. I add whatever amendments i think is necessary and then refill the containers.
Doing it like this has worked pretty well for me. I use very little "dirt", mostly compost, vermiculite, pine bark fines and bagged soilless mix. I use a good amount of coffee grounds also.

I have several friends who just add compost, mix it a little and plant it. They don't seem to have many problems.

Ken

P.S....Welcome to Tomatoville, you'll love it here.
Forgot about coffee grounds. My mom used to add that now and then. How much is too much though - especially with the containers. I can collect plenty of grounds - we drink a lot of coffee lol!!
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #5
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie321 View Post
Forgot about coffee grounds. My mom used to add that now and then. How much is too much though - especially with the containers. I can collect plenty of grounds - we drink a lot of coffee lol!!
We store all of our old grounds and filters in an empty plastic coffee can. When it gets full, i rake an area of mulch back, dump the can and stir the grounds into the soil. Filters and all.

I have been doing this for years and it doesn't seem to do any harm. I even put the sweetener packets in there. They are composted in no time.

With 25 containers, i don't think you can drink enough coffee to hurt anything. Go for it.

Ken
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Were the containers outside all winter? How cold did it get?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2014   #7
Miss Lynne
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Were the containers outside all winter? How cold did it get?
Just saw your response/question Cole Robbie. Yes they were out all winter. Temperatures were below freezing this year for a good 10 day stretch. Id say mid 20's.
Miss Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2014   #8
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I have read that you can use ALOT of coffee grounds - up to 40% of soil volume. I have put about 600 pounds in my own beds since January - thanks, Aurora Coffee! The worms love them, filters and all.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2014   #9
Chucker
Tomatovillian™

I've been using the same container mix since 2009. I just add to it to top off the containers. I'm not saying that's what you should do, but that's what I've been doing and it's working fine for me. On a side note, I use a liquid fertilizer and fertilize every time I water, so I'm not expecting nutrients to come from the mix, so on it's own, the "aged" mix would probably not produce many tomatoes.
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote