Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2020   #1
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Default Summer 1994 Goldenseal article on Estler's Mortgage Lifter tomato

I recently became interested in this tomato, and saw somewhere that there was an article written about it back in 1994, Goldenseal: West Virginia Traditional Life (Volume 20, No. 2 - Summer, 1994) called A Man and His Tomato. I contacted Goldenseal on Facebook and was very happy when they agreed to copy the article and send it to me. There are some very interesting things mentioned. Hope you enjoy it. Page 12 is an insert, and the story continues on pg 13. I'm pretty sure that William Estler's granddaughter, EdieJ, is a member of this site, and maybe she can add some insight. If you think you have seen this post on another site, you ere correct. I posted it on another site so that folks who aren't members here, can see the pictures also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg page 9.jpg (132.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg page 10.jpg (128.6 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg page 11.jpg (131.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg page 12.jpg (147.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg page 13.jpg (123.6 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg page 14.jpg (141.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg page 15.jpg (145.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg page 16.jpg (127.2 KB, 160 views)
Old June 30, 2020   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Informative and interesting. Thanks for the read.
Old June 30, 2020   #3
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

In living color! My original source was Chuck Wyatt I think, somewhere around 1999-2002...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ML_Estler's (2016_09_17 09_40_10 UTC).jpg (124.5 KB, 141 views)
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2020   #4
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Estler's Mortgage Lifter almost disappeared 10 years ago. I purchased seed from Chuck Wyatt around 2002 and still had quite a few and have grown it for fresh seed several times.

I sent seed to Glenn Drowns at Sandhill Preservation earlier this year. Hopefully he will offer seed next year.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2020   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I also grew Estler's from seed sent by Chuck Wyatt in the late 1990s. For some reason I was not into seed saving in 1999 to 2002 and did not replenish my supply. I will watch Glenn's site to begin again. Thanks Darrell and Korney for the reminder.
Old March 24, 2021   #6
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Estler's granddaughter Edie James, sent me about 5 or 6 seeds last year. They were the last she had, and didn't know if they were still good. She said that she had obtained them from her uncle Robert, Estler's son. I saved them for this year. I planted 3 seeds, and they germinated, but only one was viable. It's doing very well at this point. Am hoping for some decent tomatoes to save seed. Sorry for the sideways pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210323_170016.jpg (226.7 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by edweather; March 24, 2021 at 06:14 PM.
edweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2021   #7
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default EML Tomato

I live about ten miles from Barboursville and grew the Estler tomato many times. Bob was one of my supervisors at International Nickel. I bought plants at Joyces Nursery on Hughs Branch Road curtesy of Bob up until a few yrs ago. I have been raising big pinks from seed for about ten yrs but dont really know for sure what they are but likely the EML. I weighed one on Paula Deen scales that was over 40 oz. They taste great also. I have about 20 plants every yr but only get 4 or 5 fruit from each plant. I sucker to two stems and early blight is a terrible problem here. I like the red/yellow bi colored tomatoes too but big pinks are irresistable to me.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2021   #8
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your comments. Fun to hear about your connection to Bob, and the nursery where the EML were sold. I received EML from Edie and from another source. Am growing one of each this year, and it's very interesting that the lower leaves on both plants have early season issues. None of my other plants are affected. We have Septoria big time here in the hot weather, but usually not until May.
Old July 26, 2022   #9
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Just gave this a bump.
Old July 26, 2022   #10
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Well I will grow a different Mortgage Lifter next year called this :Estler's Mortgage Lifter". Maybe I will be inspired to continue my Legal Studies on Today Mortgage Laws for one more Court Battle to place my Husband on my Mortgage. The Court Clerk stated that Our Old Mortgage Company filed my Mortgage and I cannot change add anyone. Even If I tried to file my Mortgage again. I feel Congress should deal with these types "Gray Laws" that could have Erased my Great Granddaddy People of over 6,000.00 people in front of Fort Monroe. Learning from Dr. Carolyn about Redator Charlie inspired me to pay off my Mortgage early with Tomato Sales. Maybe the Lord is calling me to study again.

Last edited by MrsJustice; July 26, 2022 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Dyslexia
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2022   #11
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Here is some fast research and possible Facts on the 2 Mortgage Lifters; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage_Lifter
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote