Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old October 8, 2012   #31
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonysoilseeds View Post
this was the first year i had whitefly problems in my garden in the north...they were prevalent on my eggplamts
Same here. I've had a few in prior years, on okra, and on a flowering mallow that I grow to attract pollinators... but this was the first year they were on eggplant. None on my beans yet, though.

Some years back, I was told that I was too far North for whiteflies. Guess nobody told them that. We've had a couple of really warm winters recently, that probably allowed them to move further North.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2012   #32
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had to hit my beans with Permethrin or lose them so I did. The whiteflies were just sucking the life out of them. We are now having very dry weather and the combination was just putting too much stress on the plants. A few days after spraying I was able to pick a few beans but the plants are smaller than I was hoping for by now. It is supposed to cool off a bit next week and I hope they will perk up now that there are fewer whiteflies on them.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2012   #33
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

My beans had flowers on but the frost got them when I was away for the weekend fishing trip in Akron Ohio!
Old October 19, 2012   #34
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Well I got lucky. With the exceptions of a few leaf rollers my Italian Pole beans have put out a huge crop of beans. Never thought they would make it but they did. Day temps mid 70's and nite temps mid 50's must be condusive at least to keep the bugs and disease at bay.
Old October 21, 2012   #35
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My plants are producing and I'm getting some beans now. The plants are not nearly as large as in the spring nor are the beans. The plants tend to be spindlier than in the spring and fall over worse. Taste is just as good if not better.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2012   #36
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

Hyacinth beans are producing more than I can eat. So pretty!
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2012   #37
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

I have climbing beans growing now in my greenhouse and they are 5 feet high but n flowers yet!
Old October 22, 2012   #38
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I have a row of baby bush limas that seem to be miraculously setting a third crop. Good thing too because the first two were complete failures. Less than a dozen limas total in two crops due to heat, drought and insects (grasshopper plague). But somehow they popped right back and look better than they ever did. Just will be a race to see what comes first...killing frost or third and only really productive crop.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote