Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 10, 2019   #2551
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Swampadelphia here.
I wish I could send some of this to CA.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2019   #2552
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i guess i ended up closer to the telephone pole than i thought.
when my wife and son drove by SLOWLY later in the day, they said i was less than
3 ft away from the pole.

the friend that pulled the car out, couldn't do it with his 2 ton truck with winch.
my car was perpendicular to the road, back end closest to the road. he figured pulling
out a subaru outback would be no problem, but his truck kept sliding on the ice.
he had to go back and get a bigger truck.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #2553
bower
Tomatovillian™

Another storm here today, starting with 10 cm of snow that is flying thick and sideways already this morning, then 10 mm of rain expected with some amount of ice in the transition. It'll freeze again and get a dusting of snow overnight.

Everything in the ten day forecast is a rain-snow or snow-rain event. The up side is less snow accumulation, but the downside, no idea what kind of impossible to shovel mess will be left to deal with. Many and varied, always involving some ice. We have a good ice layer at the bottom already now, so thinking about slippery every step you take this winter!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2019   #2554
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

our mild winter so far is turning ugly starting tomorrow.

its gonna be snowy, and blowy, and shivery.
5-8 inches expected thru friday morning. school is already canceled for tomorrow.
white out conditions are expected. temp is going to drop below zero for a high with lows of -14. wind chill could hit -30.
its supposed to snow every day for a week.
we did our running around today. i am on vacation, so don't have to be anywhere.
we have our wood stove for heat if the power goes out. water set aside.
i plan on cooking one of our home grown chickens. this one is about an 8 pounder,
and baking some bread.
prayers for anyone on the road the next couple days.

be safe out there

keith
Old January 24, 2019   #2555
matereater
Tomatovillian™

good luck keith

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2019   #2556
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

woke up yesterday, and looked outside to see a few inches of snow on the ground. snow
was falling gently, and lazily from the sky. it was a pretty sight to behold. certainly didn't
seem bad enough to cancel school.

it didn't stay that way.
the snowfall started picking up by noon, and right when school would have been getting
out, snow was falling heavily, and visibility wasn't so good. we never got the high winds
that was in the weather alert. just a mild breeze with the heavy snow made things bad enough.
we got 8 to 10 inches. i got out in the afternoon with the plow truck, and tractor, and cleared the yard and driveway.
up here, they tell you to plow with the storm,
meaning get out there while the snow is still falling otherwise you are screwed. wait till
the snow stops before you move it, and you might have to hire someone with a front end loader to get you out.

we survived.

keith
Old January 25, 2019   #2557
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

How unenviable Keith!
Yes, clear while it is snowing. I get out with a broom to clear the walk while it snows so I don't have to shovel later. It rarely snows a lot here though we had 4 feet all at once in '96.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2019   #2558
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you're on vacation Keith!

We had close to 10 cm built up in the driveway by yesterday afternoon - from several days of generous flurries - and I meant to shovel but didn't get to it. Overnight it turned to rain and today went up to 9C above. I expected a serious mess but to my surprise this morning my driveway was cleared right out. Even my icy ruts melted.... I am very very happy.
OTOH one of the garlic beds has lost its snow cover on one corner and side. I worry for them but at least there's no sign of any drainage problem. Today I spent the day in the greenhouse, enjoying the pleasant temperature, and planted all my bulbils and some small rounds I had for backup too. Forecast for the next week is close to seasonal averages, so they'll have a little time to adjust to the cold before it goes back to the really freezing temps again.
Old February 8, 2019   #2559
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Tee shirt weather two days ago freezing to death today.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2019   #2560
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we got what john dee, our local meteorologist calls a FTS event. french toast storm where everybody buys bread, milk, and eggs. the latest storm dumped about 10 inches
of snow on us. most of our long drive was blown in. some drifts were just below my knee. it took about five hours to clear the driveway, and around the house. i had to call in my last day of work. couldn't go anywhere until the road got plowed.
there is another storm headed our way monday night, and tuesday thats supposed to be
another heavy hitter.

this time of year as we get into late winter i sometimes question my sanity for living here. i'm not there yet, but getting closer.

schools were closed today. temp. was in the single digits, wind chill minus 25 or so.

and, hell froze over.

yup, the small town or village of hell, mi was frozen by the polar vortex.

keith
Old February 8, 2019   #2561
edweather
Tomatovillian™

We're in spring fever mode here, and the tomato plants have landed in TSC and Lowe's. 80 degrees the last 3 days, but the party is ending tomorrow.
Old February 9, 2019   #2562
bower
Tomatovillian™

All of our major precipitation events have been rain here or mostly rain, with a bit of snow on the beginning or end. Had another one last night, and there's one in the ten day forecast with bits of snow only 5 cm in between. We have had our taster of the 'polar vortex' cold, but much less severe than you folks on the mainland, just the edge of it. I think our lowest has been -12 or -14 C but windchills in the -20's C. That is about as cold as it ever gets here, normally.
February is our coldest month and we are normally heaped with snow at this time, but the rain has taken much away. There is one corner of one of my garlic beds that has been exposed after the last two rains. This morning there was a bit of a puddle on one part with the ground looking icy, which is the worst. I think if it thaws and runs away you are more or less okay, but any pooling and freezing on top is not good...
Old February 10, 2019   #2563
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

More landslides from the rain, more folks evacuated.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #2564
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Today my garden was destroyed. It seems we have 2 - low pressure systems and 1 HI pressure. The lows travel counter clockwise and the HI is clockwise. Like a giant rotary air compressor. The waves are 30-50 ft and the wind is about the same mph. Out of the Artic north. Crazy... 57 degrees F. For Hawaiians thats as good as zero. Stay warm people. Be safe on the roads. Or better yet. Stay home and stay alive. Aloha !!!
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #2565
bower
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Tomzhawaii... never expecting the freaky polar winds to get down to Hawaii! I heard on the news that the wind is tearing up the pacific NW coast as well, with major power outages.
Staying safe and comfortable is for sure related to what is "normal" and expected. 57 F is no fun if you don't own a sweater, and if your house is designed to let air flow through those howling winds can make it pretty miserable.... But as you said, most of bad weather times, it's safer to stay home and wait it out.

Nan, you too be safe! This winter has been super soggy for you folks in PA.