Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 23, 2006   #1
michael4spoons
Tomatovillian™

Default Potting-up & Cotyledons

Hi guys! A real newbie here with a real newbie kinda question: awhile back I "potted-up" to the point just below where the first true leaves were showing inside the cotyledons (had read various places where that was the thing to do). Now, some three weeks later, the cotyledons are a half inch above the soil line and the true leaves are branching out an inch above that (other branches have developed also). The cotyledons are still quite green. Question: Will the cotyledons ever wither and go away? If not, is there a certain point at which it's okay to cover them up with mix, or is it best just to leave them alone?
michael4spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2006   #2
geol
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a very healthy seedling that doesn't need any "help", congratulations. They will wither away when they outlive their usefulness.
geol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And the cotyledons outlive their usefulness after true leaves are formed since now the plant can make it's own energy via photosynthesis.

The cotyledons provide energy to the plant only for a very short period of time and actually it's almost completely associated with initial germination.
Old March 24, 2006   #4
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Eventually the cotyledons will dry up by themselves, but I usually find that they haven't gone yet by transplanting time. It's OK to cover them with mix or even remove them first if you want to plant the seedlings deeper.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2006   #5
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

excellent - so I'm going to bury
then when I transplant ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote