Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2015   #46
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

It's a cycle, in ten years we'll be the Wise Tomato Sages everyone remembers fondly and misses.

Except for Worth, who apparently tucks himself in Tupperware every night to preserve freshness, and will be the last Tomatovillian (1) standing.

1. I typoe'ed Tomato villain and almost left it cause, ya know, Worth.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #47
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
How about a slightly different POV from someone who doesn't find themselves here very often lately - me!

I think people may also come and go because of change - in life's circumstances, hobbies, time availability and constraints. Personally, it's about time and energy - and the changes that the book provides (at the moment, anyway). My time on the computer - which is less than it used to be (especially in gardening season), is more about working to reach a larger audience - I am blogging much more than I used to, but also the elements of social networking - Facebook, Twitter, Instragram - and the travel and activities that put me in front of people - there are just so many hours in a day, and so much energy.

So I suspect my really active participation here gets to be more seasonal, and will depend upon what's next. The Straw Bale book that comes out in December is a pretty small thing - certainly won't lead to the type of year that the tomato book has initiated. I am pondering what book 3 will be....and I am also playing with the idea - kind of seriously, really.....of a weekly - or biweekly - podcast. Now that sounds like a fun thing to do...and I may just do it! Tomatoville is in good hands - questions get answered well and quickly, and members are learning new things, from each other.
Craig,

Hope you decide to go through with the podcast. I would be a listener.

I imagine this year is quite different from a normal year for you especially.

Edited to add that I just popped over to your blog and you are doing a great job of updating it frequently. I think that is probably key to maintaining a following. And the pics are important.

Last edited by JohnJones; May 16, 2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Content
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #48
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Camochef still posts here but I really miss the regular tomato tasting reviews he did.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #49
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hi John and thanks....astute observations. I just came in from a busy day watering and planting and troubleshooting....I need to cool off for a bit, and want to expound a bit on my brief post above. And, yes, big time garden update - new blog entry - will happen tonight (Straw Bale week 2 update) - I took all the pics for it this morning.

A funny thing happened this year to me (well, if not funny, at least a bit unexpected). Having the book come out led to lots of events, activities, travel. And that meant lots of interactions - getting up on front of people, sharing, learning, meeting folks afterwards during signings, and then there is the seedling sales in my driveway. But again - it is direct human interaction.

Those who know me well will recognize that I am not really all that huge a fan of discussion boards - and include in that Twitter, Facebook - they are such imperfect forms of communication because there is no need to honesty, or respect, or politeness. That it goes as well as it does in places like Tomatoville is due to the diligence and care of Mischka, more than anything else. It is very civil here, and that is rare.

But I digress....getting out there - spending time learning about what someone grows, how they grow it, what their issues are (not only gardening!) - it has enlivened me, reenergized me...and the past five months have been among the most fulfilling, enjoyable - and joyful!- of my life. And I've gotten to bring my favorite person in the world - Sue, my wife - along with me pretty much every step of the way.

So the change, for me - why I am not here much, or any other discussion areas on the web - is because of my current preference to being with people, watching body language, making eye contact, directly connecting. I love to write, and my blog satisfies that. The podcast would be great fun....I may have to wait until the gardening season and book related activities cools off a bit. And then there is book 3...and 4...and....
Old May 16, 2015   #50
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If I leave someone will come along and take my place.
Worth

Hardly...
Old May 16, 2015   #51
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Craig I think a podcast would be a great next step in your evolution as tomato guru. I for one love podcast because I can listen to them at work or when out in the garden, but I don't know of any gardening related ones. I would definitely listen to yours.

I think its awesome that you love sharing your knowledge and helping others. You taught me a lot and if not for you and others here I wouldn't be selling at markets now and getting to meet all the wonderful people I do. In short, I love it. So new or old tomatovillian, know that what you do can help lead others to find joy in their lives. Good luck Craig and thanks for everything you do
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #52
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Thanks, BVV - it's not really about being a guru of any sort, but finding a way of reaching more people about the joys and importance of preserving heirloom varieties, and of gardening in general - I can imagine a huge list of folks I'd love to interview to share their passions - about flowers, or lettuce, or beans, or apples, or....the sky is the limit!

Thanks so much for your kind words. I just dig in the dirt now and then and find out a few things and love to share them!
Old May 16, 2015   #53
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

I would soooo listen to a garden podcast! Please keep us updated!
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #54
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

We seem to be building up a fair number of South Carolinians in Tomatoville. Maybe this would be a good year to encourage folks to head to Little Mountain for Splatt. i spoke with Rodger at the Midlands Flower Festival, and he is very busy; but he is still planning on holding the tomato tasting.
My wife and me are here also North Charleston
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #55
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Not to hijack thread but wanted to reply:

My issue with coming has been that July 12th is my wife's birthday and we always have plans BUT she says now that she would like to go. So I can say tentatively we will be there if nothing changes. Is it planned for Sunday or has the date changed?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #56
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Not to hijack thread but wanted to reply:

My issue with coming has been that July 12th is my wife's birthday and we always have plans BUT she says now that she would like to go. So I can say tentatively we will be there if nothing changes. Is it planned for Sunday or has the date changed?
Maybe we should move the discussion down to the SPLATT thread in the Regional Gatherings forum. Rodger started a SPLATT 2015 thread there. It is July 11, which is a Saturday.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #57
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Hi John and thanks....astute observations. I just came in from a busy day watering and planting and troubleshooting....I need to cool off for a bit, and want to expound a bit on my brief post above. And, yes, big time garden update - new blog entry - will happen tonight (Straw Bale week 2 update) - I took all the pics for it this morning.

A funny thing happened this year to me (well, if not funny, at least a bit unexpected). Having the book come out led to lots of events, activities, travel. And that meant lots of interactions - getting up on front of people, sharing, learning, meeting folks afterwards during signings, and then there is the seedling sales in my driveway. But again - it is direct human interaction.

Those who know me well will recognize that I am not really all that huge a fan of discussion boards - and include in that Twitter, Facebook - they are such imperfect forms of communication because there is no need to honesty, or respect, or politeness. That it goes as well as it does in places like Tomatoville is due to the diligence and care of Mischka, more than anything else. It is very civil here, and that is rare.

But I digress....getting out there - spending time learning about what someone grows, how they grow it, what their issues are (not only gardening!) - it has enlivened me, reenergized me...and the past five months have been among the most fulfilling, enjoyable - and joyful!- of my life. And I've gotten to bring my favorite person in the world - Sue, my wife - along with me pretty much every step of the way.

So the change, for me - why I am not here much, or any other discussion areas on the web - is because of my current preference to being with people, watching body language, making eye contact, directly connecting. I love to write, and my blog satisfies that. The podcast would be great fun....I may have to wait until the gardening season and book related activities cools off a bit. And then there is book 3...and 4...and....
Craig,

Your last post reminded me of something I love about the internet.

While I agree with you that many of the various forums and social media platforms can be negative ranging to toxic, the internet itself, when used properly, is an unbelievable blessing to those of us alive to see its evolution.

The first time I realized this was when I first joined Ebay in the late 90's. All the sudden, people around the globe were thrust into a local flea market where everything they valued or didn't value suddenly had a value to someone and could be transferred for that value.

I agree with you that this forum is rather unique and it certainly appears to me that Mischka and the other moderators are the reason, aided by my observation that people who dig in the dirt and grow things tend to be more polite than average.

The thing that struck me in your post, is that we might all like to have the experience you are having. You are getting to travel around and meet people who have the same main passion you do. And they are coming mainly to meet you and talk to you! I imagine that is very humbling and very enjoyable at the same time.

And while I completely agree with your feelings about much of the internet, without it and forums like this one, would you agree that the wonderful book you produced and times you are having might not have happened at all?

Last edited by JohnJones; May 18, 2015 at 10:06 AM.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #58
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Waaaay back years ago when Gardenweb was THE place for tomato talk, that site began to lose relevance for me because of its cumbersome size and influx of folks who did not interest me. In 2006 along came Tomatoville and a bunch of us migrated. It was a fairly small community and we all got to know each other fairly well. Some of us were knuckleheads but because of the general tone of this site that was often overlooked.

I truly miss the "good old days" only because of the friends who have passed on. There are several who have disappeared; that topic has been covered. Some old friends may be gone and some I now can't even remember their names...shame on me.

Because of Tomatoville's management style, the hordes of "new posters" have not made this site unwieldy. We have our characters, our stirrers, our gods and goddesses and our mainstays who will never be replaced but as those fade out, new faces and personalities will emerge. Those of us who are more forgettable will fade out with time and not be noticed. Don't grieve for those gone...embrace those who are here and those to come in the future. But what the darn heck happened to.......
Old May 18, 2015   #59
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

John, that is an excellent post - I read it this morning and mulled things about as I dug in the garden and worked up a sweat. I will get back to here tonight with a few thoughts. This exchange is an example of the BEST of the internet - civil, thought provoking discourse...much appreciated.
Old May 18, 2015   #60
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Craig AKA nctomatoman was the first person to ever send me a PM at gardenweb.
Do you remember that PM Craig?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote