Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 7, 2013   #1
tedln

Default Fourth Of July and Moravsky Div.

Fourth Of July is my standard "go to" early tomato. This year, due to the extended cold spring; it hasn't performed well. The two plants only grew too one half their normal size and production has been very low. Production started ripening at the same time my full size tomatoes started ripening so they didn't work this year as "early" tomatoes.

I lost my Moravsky Div seedlings to successive frosts and freezes this spring. As I was packing up my other extras to give away, I noticed a new MD seedling popping up in the MD tray. I waited a few days and up potted it and finally planted it very late in the garden. It performed very well with tomatoes about the size of the Fourth Of July with much better taste than the FOJ. I'm considering replacing FOJ next year, as my dependable variety; with MD.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; July 7, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old July 7, 2013   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

My experience with FOJ is that it will take the heat and often keep on producing or at least keep breathing until it cools down some and then go again. Not true of MD, which, for me, when its done, its done.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2013   #3
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
My experience with FOJ is that it will take the heat and often keep on producing or at least keep breathing until it cools down some and then go again. Not true of MD, which, for me, when its done, its done.
My FOJ plants are struggling right now to stay alive. If they live through the hot summer as they usually do, they will be great fall tomatoes. My MD is still very healthy and blooming. It does seem to be the reverse of what happens most years. I would like to keep the MD alive through the summer and see how it performs in the fall. Because it was planted pretty late, it was put in semi shade, in a container; under a large tree. I'm sure the cooler conditions away from direct sun has helped it survive.

The really interesting thing about the MD is the fact that it took about twelve weeks for the seed to germinate. All of the seeds were planted in the cells about Christmas time of last year. It germinated near the end of March of this year.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; July 7, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old July 7, 2013   #4
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

MD and Kimberley are terrific tasting tomatoes.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2013   #5
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

I grew Moravsky Div last year. It got transplant shock more than the several other varieties but, once it started to produce, it was one of the most tasty of the season. It tasted very similar to Terhune but not quite as luscious.

Definitely on my list for repeat grow outs.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2013   #6
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Both of my Moravsky Divs were determinates. They produced quite a few delicious tomatoes this year, but both are done now - I've already pulled out one and the other is just about done. My 4th of July plants just keep pumping out the tomatoes though and show no signs of dying off. But the MDs definitely taste better than the FOJs! I've started 3 more MDs for my fall garden.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #7
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDx4 View Post
Both of my Moravsky Divs were determinates. They produced quite a few delicious tomatoes this year, but both are done now - I've already pulled out one and the other is just about done. My 4th of July plants just keep pumping out the tomatoes though and show no signs of dying off. But the MDs definitely taste better than the FOJs! I've started 3 more MDs for my fall garden.

Lyn
My Moravsky Div seems to be indeterminate, growing as tall as most indeterminate's in my garden; and is PL. Many people report their MD to be RL.

Ted
Old July 8, 2013   #8
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi Ted,

Moravsky Div is supposed to be PL and indeterminant, so you must have the real thing. It doesn't get quite as hot here in New Mexico, but that variety will set with temperatures in the 90's. I have netting covering the plants to protect from hail and that seems to keep things a bit cooler as well. The Moravsky Divs are the cages closest to the camera. These are from the second planting and have grown another foot taller in the last week. It is a great variety.
Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg east garden(r).JPG (602.8 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by goodwin; July 8, 2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: clarity
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #9
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

I checked my seed packet from HeritageTomatoes (Steve), and his variety is semi-determinate and PL. Mine were PL and got about 4 ft tall in containers. They might have continued growing, but no new blossoms had formed after the fruit had ripened and the plants were looking tired and scraggly, so I pulled them. Great tasting tomatoes, though!
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #10
tedln

The questions of determinate / indeterminate and RL / PL has been discussed previously. Seems like many folks have grown "Moravsky Div" as both. I'm not sure if the question has been answered. Previous discussion thread is below.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...ravsky+history

Ted
Old July 9, 2013   #11
peppero
Tomatovillian™

goodwin that is a great looking garden.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #12
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I've always heard Moravsky Div was closely related to Stupice, so you might expect a smaller plant which bears early under cooler conditions and then fades. I was surprised when I first grew it two years ago.My seed was originally from Sand Hill. Carolyn listed it at SSE, so she would know, of course.
We grow for market, so that is the excuse for the numerous tomato plants in the field. There are melons planted between the potato rows as well. We also have test plots for our tomato crosses and other breeding stock in adjoining fields. As long as we continue to get irrigation water we will be alright!
Lee
Old July 9, 2013   #13
tedln

Goodwin,

Peppero's comment is absolutely correct. You do have a gorgeous garden. The title of the photo "East Garden" implies there is at least a West Garden and possibly a North and South garden. How large is your garden?

Since Espanola isn't exactly a metropolitan area, are you like the "produce god father" for the restaurants and farmers markets in the area? I think you once said you teach. Do you think of yourself as a teacher who gardens on the side or as a gardener who teaches on the side?

Ted
Old July 9, 2013   #14
tedln

Lee,

I see you posted your answer to my question at the same time I posted my question.

Thank you!

I seem to remember Andrey from Belarus commenting on the genetic or historical relationship between Stupice and MD.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; July 9, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old July 9, 2013   #15
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the kind comments. We have one acre, so I use neighbors' properties to the north and south and usually plant on the Santa Clara Pueblo at Rancho Solito. It's nice to spread things out and be able to rotate crops. This was supposed to be just a summer diversion, but is becoming more of a full-time occupation. It's a nice balance with teaching physics, but I'm looking forward to becoming just a farmer.
Anyway, I believe Andrey did first introduce Moravsky Div and someone I sold seed to said the name translated as 'Pride of Moravia' and it was a commercial variety.
Lee