Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old January 8, 2015   #16
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

To me, the flavor differences in garlic varieties is more subtle than in tomato varieties.
Home-grown garlic vs store-bought garlic flavor is closer than home-grown tomatoes vs store-bought.
Growing garlic is easier than tomatoes but can be trickier to harvest at the right time and cure it.
If I could only do one, I'd stick to tomatoes.

Seed garlic is more expensive than tomato seed as a factor of yield.
I spent almost 60 bucks on seed garlic 3 years ago and typically didn't buy that much per year prior to that. So it will take a while to "break even" in a sense. But I eat more garlic these days too; which is good I guess. And I'm less tempted to buy something I don't need if I don't have to go to Sam's. ;-)
So, if I had to buy garlic I'd buy from another gardener or at least organic and unprocessed.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2015   #17
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

I agree Jessee, the taste difference in comparing to store bought is subtle. The big advantage in garden garlic is its ability to be stored long term and still maintain a fresh taste. I am not a large grower but keep a few local restaurants supplied during season.The chefs assure me that my garlic is far superior to anything else available.
The strain I grow seems to have increased in both size and storage duration through the years. I realize this garlic is what it is genetically, but I'm not sure if soil fertility is the only factor with this crop getting better with time. Any idea if a plant can acclimate so well to its growing conditions that it can improve over time?
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2015   #18
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
I agree Jessee, the taste difference in comparing to store bought is subtle. The big advantage in garden garlic is its ability to be stored long term and still maintain a fresh taste. I am not a large grower but keep a few local restaurants supplied during season.The chefs assure me that my garlic is far superior to anything else available.
The strain I grow seems to have increased in both size and storage duration through the years. I realize this garlic is what it is genetically, but I'm not sure if soil fertility is the only factor with this crop getting better with time. Any idea if a plant can acclimate so well to its growing conditions that it can improve over time?
Yes, for sure some genetic drift occurs and you save the ones that grow better, so yes what you say is true. I would say your plants are genetically now better adapted to your area.I would not mind some of it! Maybe next fall, you can sell me some? Being in MI I would want proven garlic, and your area is not that far from mine.

drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #19
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Drew
PM sent.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #20
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
Drew
PM sent.
Very cool, thanks much. I will pay you back by sending to others in the future.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote