Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old September 15, 2012   #1
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Roasted Tomato Jam

Found this recipe that is super simple, but incredibly good! Very tasty spread on toasted sourdough bread.

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-oven...mato-jam-73536

I've made it twice to use up the huge bowl of small & medium tomatoes, and even though the recipe wants you to use canning/canned tomatoes, it works just fine with fresh "eating" tomatoes. The only thing I changed the second time, is I used a bit less cinnamon. Don't neglect it toward the end of the cooking time as it will quickly start to char, and definitely line your casserole dish with foil or you'll have a real mess on your hand!

Oven-Roasted Tomato Jam

• 1 28-ounce can of plum tomatoes, preferably without any salt or added spices OR 4-5 ripe red tomatoes
  • 5-6 large cloves of garlic, slivered
  • Olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, freshly ground

Heat the oven to 325°F. Line a 9x13 baking pan with aluminum foil.

If using canned tomatoes, cut or mash into small bits. Pour off about half the juices and then spread evenly in the baking pan. If using fresh tomatoes, chop into quarters and spread in the pan.

Mix in the garlic cloves and drizzle generously with olive oil. Sprinkle a few pinches of kosher salt on top, and dust with black pepper. Sprinkle on the cinnamon.

Bake at 325°F for about 3 hours, or until the tomatoes are very soft. They should color, though -- just cook down. (Canned tomatoes are already cooked and will need less time - about 1-2 hours.)

Increase the heat of the oven to 450°F and roast for another hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so to mix the dark parts back in.

Remove from the oven and let cool. Mash to an even consistency, if necessary, and serve on crackers or toast with soft cheese.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #2
jorgea
Tomatovillian™

Default Roasted Tomato Jam

This sounds so good. I have never thought of this. Thanks for sharing this recipe here.
jorgea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #3
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Yummy yummy! Would not have thought of cinnamon, but it is good w tomato in pastitsio, Greek food. Reminds me a little of something Martha Stewart shared somewhere called Tomato Confit. They roasted in a lot of olive oil (not duck fat as confit may suggest.)
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2012   #4
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Many thanks Father'sDaughter for this fabulous recipe.
I added some balsamic vinegar and a hot habaneros. It is great
I'll try next week-end to prepare more and to store it for long time. Me and my family like it for bruschetta
I think that after filling jars with hot jam is enough to keep them for 10-15 minutes in warm oven.