Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old May 17, 2016   #16
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I've got some smoked caplin in the freezer here in NY. I use it like sardines....thaw, smash, and add to seafood chowders.

I feel the same way about the tomato stash. Use it up and salivate for the summer harvest.

I even have a few bergie-bits in the freezer
Wild blueberries are plentiful and the wild cranberry...(loganberry ?). Bakeapple tastes like fish to me. Fish eggs. We motored out to Anthony Is off Irelands Eye a couple yrs ago where a friend grew up before resettlement. Buckets of bakeapple.

Our last kitchen party was lobster. NYShell steak medallions i packed in heirloom tomato
'ice' in one of the coolers. Surf-n-turf.

What is dog-berry? ...loganberry?

When we left our rhubarb was ankle high and about to explode. We have a mink family in our store. (wood shed). Word is a mink farmer gave up yrs ago and let them go....they seem good at hiding and don't bother much. My garden is full of fish bodies
as a neighbor was using our yard for potatoes up until a year ago. We have the only basement in the village so they store their crops down there winter months.
One Christmas i heard ker-plunk, ker-plunk, thinking the plumbing was troubled. Went to the basement, outside door...our neighbor was sorting his potatoes....
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #17
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Curious who supplies MalladCottage and Raymonds. I know those guys but have not seen them in a few years. Some were stuck in NYC StormSandy while here cooking at the JamesBeardHouse...BestChefs of Canada. Flights canceled and made it to my home. Nothing like disaster house guests chefs. Must be local farms and greenhouses supplying restaurants in the StJohns area?
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016   #18
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Bakeapple! Now that's a new word to me. I've only known it as Cloudberry in English.
(Finnish has several names for it as well, hilla, muurain, lakka...)
It is a much valued delicacy in Scandinavia, no way does it taste like fish eggs
It has more vitamin C than oranges per kg, and many properties to be used for healthcare/skincare (the seed oil)..

The only issue I have is the high season usually is also the high season for all kinds of flying and crawling creatures... Having a net is a must...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #19
KayJay
Tomatovillian™

Smile

Call me lazy, but I've become a big fan of making tomato puree without removing skins or seeds. I just coarsely chop the tomatoes, cook them in a sauce pan with or without spices/oil/other veggies, use my immersion blender to puree, and then freeze the puree in containers. You can then use it in chili, soup, spaghetti sauce, etc.
KayJay is offline   Reply With Quote