Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old July 20, 2009   #1
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Default Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce

So this recipe is from the SETTFest...

http://www.settfest.com/2009/06/oven...-tomato-sauce/

And I made two batches this weekend. And I learned an important lesson...

*NEVER ADD SUGAR* if you are cooking with heirloom tomatoes.

The first batch is a bit on the sweet side. The second batch is heavenly.

We added about a tablespoon of sugar to the first batch against six and a half pounds of peeled and cored tomatoes.

Then we went to Williams Sonoma and bought the 50 dollar OXO food mill.

The second batch had about 5 pounds of tomatoes but both batches yielded about two and a half pounds of sauce. And the manual food mill saved about an hour of prep.

Here are the before and after pix.

First batch before:

First batch midway:

Second batch before:

Second batch after:

Then through the food mill using the medium blade. No pix of that yet.
TheClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2009   #2
Cherokee_Motley
Tomatovillian™

Looks great, I would love to have a taste. :-)

On a side note, what did you think of the food mill, I have held off on ordering one for a while but I know I need to bite the bullet. Would you recommend the XOXO version?
Old July 20, 2009   #3
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee_Motley View Post
Looks great, I would love to have a taste. :-)

On a side note, what did you think of the food mill, I have held off on ordering one for a while but I know I need to bite the bullet. Would you recommend the XOXO version?
Hi C_M,

Come to Tomatopalooza and you can certainly have a taste, since we are bringing some to sample from both batches.

I gotta say that, for the money, the OXO does the job, and is easy to use and clean. I can bring it to Tomatopalooza this weekend so folks can see it. So, yes, I would recommend it. I can't spend two hundred and fifty dollars for the Spremy at this time. Maybe after the Harley is paid off...

We got our OXO Food Mill at Williams Sonoma for fifty dollars. My wife has commented that it is a uni-tasker but I think that we will find other uses for it, such as Gazpacho.

-Howard

Last edited by TheClaw; July 20, 2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: clarification
Old July 21, 2009   #4
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Looks awesome...can't wait to try this recipe. Still waiting for ripe tomatoes, though.

It appears you peeled the tomatoes in batch #1 and you did not peel the tomatoes in batch #2. Was there any difference in flavor?

I just picked up a tomato strainer. This website has some good deals (I am in no way affiliated with the store): http://www.creativecookware.com/tomato_strainer3.htm
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2009   #5
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
Looks awesome...can't wait to try this recipe. Still waiting for ripe tomatoes, though.

It appears you peeled the tomatoes in batch #1 and you did not peel the tomatoes in batch #2. Was there any difference in flavor?

I just picked up a tomato strainer. This website has some good deals (I am in no way affiliated with the store): http://www.creativecookware.com/tomato_strainer3.htm
For batch 1 we did peel and core the tomatoes after a quick plunge into boiling water and then an ice bath. Phew! What a lot of work!

For batch 2 we simply pulled off the stems and quartered the fruit. Quick and easy-peasy.

For both batches we added chopped onion, fresh basil, Italian spice blend, EVOO, and lots of garlic. We found out that the fresh basil must be mixed in or it will burn up in the hot oven, so it is important to stir right away, or cover with foil for the first 30 to 45 minutes.

Now the flavor was different but not because of the process. It was the fact that we (mistakenly) added about a tablespoon of sugar to the first batch, which made it very sweet. The second batch was much, much better.

Both batches went through the OXO food mill. I started with the fine blade but quickly switched to the medium blade.

The yield was nearly identical (2 1/2 pounds) per batch, even though the first batch had about a pound more fruit. I attribute this to the process. I think the loss occurred during the peeling process.

The OXO food mill makes peeling a coring unnecessary.

Happy cooking!

Last edited by TheClaw; July 21, 2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old July 21, 2009   #6
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Yum!

I can't wait to try with my heirlooms if the squirrels leave me any.

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2009   #7
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I have done a few batches of this recipie. It has made everything much easier to just roast then run it throught the mill. I have used it for pasta sauce and it got rave reviews from the family! My daughter was bragging at work that "my mom makes spegettii from scratch all the way down to growing the tomaotes"
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2009   #8
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Howard, How long did you keep yours in the oven?

Thanks,

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2009   #9
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Fingers crossed that our maters will be ready in 2 to 3 weeks for making this - got the basil, garlic & peppers - looks DELICIOUS!
Are you freezing or canning?
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2009   #10
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Default How long in the oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Howard, How long did you keep yours in the oven?

Thanks,

Greg
The total time varied from batch to batch. We did the first batch at 450 degrees but the second and third at 400. It has generally taken about 4 hours total cook time for 5 to 8 pounds of tomatoes. The trick, I think, is to stir every 45 minutes or so and watch the consistency.

I judge the sauce to be done when I scape a spoon across the bottom of the pan and the sauce has thickened to the point that it does not run back onto the bare spot. The firs hour or two there is so much liquid that this is impossible.

The third batch, which I just did today, was even better than the last. I increased the garlic and added some salt, dehydrated onion bits, a dash of cayenne pepper and some garlic and onion powder. I also used a potato masher which probably hastened the breakdown of the ingredients. I also tasted it every 45 minutes or so when I took it out of the oven to stir.

When it is done, I remove it from the heat, let it cool and then run it through the food mill.

Let me know if I can answer any ther questions you may have.

-Howard
Old July 27, 2009   #11
Bdobs
Tomatovillian™

Any ideas for those of us without a food mil??
Old July 27, 2009   #12
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Default No food mill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdobs View Post
From the original post at http://www.settfest.com/2009/06/oven...-tomato-sauce/:

Quote:
Note: If you don’t have a food mill, you can still make this sauce. I would recommend blanching and peeling the tomatoes first and removing the cores, though. Peppers would need to be diced - or use powder. Use a hand-held potato masher or food processor to break the roasted tomatoes up a bit. Finished product will be more chunky than what you would get by using a food mill, but is still delicious.
Hope this helps!

-Howard
Old July 27, 2009   #13
Bdobs
Tomatovillian™

That it does! Thanks
Old July 27, 2009   #14
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

You can also run it thru a strainer/sieve. I made several batches of spaghetti sauce that way and that's why I bought a food mill this year
Old July 27, 2009   #15
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdobs View Post
As an alternative to blanching, peeling, and coring, you can slice the tomatoes in half (paste type) or quarters (others) lengthwise and arrange them skin up. After the sauce has cooled, the skins will slip off easily by just pinching them and shaking lightly. Then put the batch through a food processor. I find this less time consuming, especially when doing a large batch.

I just bought a Victorio 250 food mill, so this year should be a breeze.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote