Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old March 15, 2016   #16
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

well you can buy a large can of peeled whole plum tomatoes for $1.00 or a can of san marzano plum tomatoes for $3.00.
or you can just grow san marzano tomatoes in your back yard.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #17
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes Ginger!! She yelled at me as I was looking over her shoulder last summer!! lol

We made strictly Shannon's sauce from ONLY Shannon's. Never made it from just one variety of tomato. It was excellent!! Our fav of the year.

Would certainly try that with another like CP or something like that.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #18
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

As controversial as it is, I'd love to try that SunGold pasta sauce recipe I saw on the internet some years ago. Apparently, the secret is not to cook too long... Too bad, I'm not going to have any SunGolds this eyar (too many other varieties to try), but, I love any yellow and black ones cooked.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #19
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
As controversial as it is, I'd love to try that SunGold pasta sauce recipe I saw on the internet some years ago. Apparently, the secret is not to cook too long... Too bad, I'm not going to have any SunGolds this year (too many other varieties to try), but, I love any yellow and black ones cooked.
Yes! Not long at ALL, basically get it warmed up and serve. Very tasty and different imho. Lovely with the cream and bacon added too.

Maybe pick up a pint from the local market if they have them this summer?
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #20
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

We don't have such tomatoes on our local markets
The only way to get anything interesting in that department is to grow it at home (which I gladly do..)
As I try to keep my balcony garden limited to 15 varieties, it is a tough choice ... what to include, what to leave out.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016   #21
temora
Tomatovillian™

This was one of my first questions to the forum? The answer I got mostly was to try heart tomatoes...big, productive, meaty, tasty.
Best success I've had was from Kosovo, and Terhune when the weather was good or bad. Cuneo Pear, Franchi Pear and Perito Italian do really well in hot weather. But I do throw in some Blacks (love the taste) even if they are beefsteak. Just have to boil them longer.
temora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016   #22
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I found Wes to be a great sauce tomato.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #23
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

We did 100 quarts of spaghetti sauce last year with Brandywine Sudduth's, you have to cook it down for many hours, but it is very tasty, lots of zip. Will probably do the same thing again.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #24
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I've got some plums that I'll be reducing down along with some hearts, and some San Marzano varieties (super, redorta, nano, 3) specifically for tomato sauce. We'll see how it tastes.

The tutti-frutti tomato sauce I make throughout the season from all the rejects gets frozen down and much like Ted said, helps me during the months I don't have fresh tomatoes. Although for me it's more like a few weeks.

Shannon did not like my offerings and was stingy, so she was shown the door. The luxury abode has been offered to Larisa, Anna Maria and Aunt Ginny and... I can't find any other female names on my list.

I don't think I'll even get remotely close to AkMark's Sudduth's sauce, but judging by the way these Cowlick's are growing, perhaps I'll approach the 25 quart mark.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote