Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old August 25, 2007   #31
gdionelli
Tomatovillian™

I too like the bacon, avocado, and tomato version: BAT.

But I personally can't stand mayo, so it's pesto for me!
gdionelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2007   #32
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Bread(lightly Toasted)
Salad Dressing
Tomato
Lettuce
Turkey bacon
Salad Dressing
Bread(Lightly Toasted)

Sliced diagonally. Serve

Actually the turkey bacon is good and not as greasy, better for your cholesterol too.

Last edited by DeanRIowa; August 29, 2007 at 01:24 PM.
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2007   #33
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

This is actually with turkey, but the tomatoes are the star. I prefer Romaine or another type of lettuce, but I only had ice berg. I like some fresh ground pepper on my tomato sandwiches. I can do Miracle Whip or a good Mayo, but I prefer Mayo---just a thin layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KB blt.jpg (157.2 KB, 93 views)
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2007   #34
MJacobs2
Tomatovillian™

Quick, Easy and slightly heathy?

1 Slice of Whole wheat - toasted
Thin Layer of Ruth's Lite Pimento Cheese Spread
Think slices of maters
S & P to taste

Eat it open faced for less carbs!
MJacobs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2007   #35
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

Whole wheat bread.
Garlic butter spread,
Tomato,
Lettuce, Iceberg
Bacon,
Chedder cheese
Sliced onion.
Lots of nlack pepper and salt.
Old August 31, 2007   #36
Earl
Tomatovillian™

This is as close as you can get to God on Earth. Aunt Millie's Potato Bread slathered with Hellman's mayo and a thick slice of Earl's Faux peppered with coarse ground pepper and sea salt.
Old February 6, 2008   #37
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

IMHO... The best tomato sandwich in the world other than the BLT, is a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. White bread, cheese on both sides and garden grown in between.
JimmyWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2008   #38
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Miricle whip = devil only helmans mayo on both slices of bread with crispy hormel bacon and any ripe homegrown tomato with iceberg lettuce on split weat bread. I am droolign right now thinking of the first one in abou 4-5 months. YUMMM!!!
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2008   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like my sandwiches made from ciabatta bread sliced length ways so there is plenty of crust on both sides.

I use the McCormick Mayonnaise with lime if I can find it, if not I make my own.

The lettuce should be of the red leaf variety or romaine.

The swine from which the bacon is made shall be of the educated type with impeccable taste never eating anything from which a gourmet chief has not prepared.

The tomato should be of the utmost finest fruit from the garden without any blemishes and of such grand proportions that it should be at least 6 inches in girth.
A slice of ¾ inch shall be cut from the center most regions of the tomato and the rest discarded out the window to the starving peasants waiting in the common area below.

The plate from which the sandwich is consumed should be new from which no food has ever touched so as not to contaminate the taste.

A good porter served in a tall glass should be served and a 2 hour nap afterwards shall be taken.

Then and only then will you have a tomato sandwich.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2008   #40
epiphanista
Tomatovillian™

I love the stipulation of the sandwich being cut on the diagonal in someone's comments! It brings back memories of Mrs. Towle down the street, who buttered the bread for every sandwich, even if it was peanut butter and jelly...

I have to say my favorite sandwich with a tomato (though BLT is a very close second) is tomato, Kraft mayo, and braunschweiger (which is approximately liverwurst, but braunschweiger sounds more hip ) on white potato bread. And it needs something crunchy on the side, like pickled hot peppers or salt&vinegar chips. And a dark beer. And a foot massage.

Aaaaah.

~Thalia
epiphanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2008   #41
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphanista View Post
I love the stipulation of the sandwich being cut on the diagonal in someone's comments! It brings back memories of Mrs. Towle down the street, who buttered the bread for every sandwich, even if it was peanut butter and jelly...

I have to say my favorite sandwich with a tomato (though BLT is a very close second) is tomato, Kraft mayo, and braunschweiger (which is approximately liverwurst, but braunschweiger sounds more hip ) on white potato bread. And it needs something crunchy on the side, like pickled hot peppers or salt&vinegar chips. And a dark beer. And a foot massage.

Aaaaah.

~Thalia
You are NOT talking about tomato sandwiches in the middle of winter - in February for heaven's sake - in the middle of a snowstorm - when we are a full 6 months from the very earliest real tomato to be had in New England!
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2008   #42
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Granny for the reality check. I was reading this thread and must have been in some kind of trance, when I got to your post, I looked at the calander and was very startled! Think I'll go back to dreaming.
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2008   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphanista View Post

Aaaaah.

~Thalia
I love braunschweiger and tomato sandwiches with mayo better than BLT s its too bad more folks wont get into braunschweiger.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2008   #44
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I'll have to give that one a try this year

Last edited by Gobig_or_Gohome_toms; February 7, 2008 at 04:26 PM.
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2008   #45
epiphanista
Tomatovillian™

I knew I liked you, Worth!!! Braunschweiger-eaters unite!

~Thalia
epiphanista is offline   Reply With Quote