Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old February 25, 2009   #61
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Hearty Harvest Meatloaf

Hearty Harvest Meatloaf
INGREDIENTS
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 pound ground turkey breast meat
3 cups cooked rice
1-1/2 cups oil-packed chopped sun-dried tomatoes
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning

PREPARATION
Heat oil in small skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion & garlic. Saute 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Combine with turkey, rice, sundried , eggs,ketchup, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and poultry seasoning in large bowl. Mix until well blended, with hands if necessary.

Press mixture into 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. Bake meatloaf at 375 degrees F. 50 to 60 minutes. Unmold on serving platter, slice into 6 slices and serve.

Yield: 6 servings
Old February 25, 2009   #62
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Stuffed Mushrooms with Sun-Dried Tomato

Stuffed Mushrooms with Sun-Dried Tomato

INGREDIENTS
24 mushrooms (about 2 1/2 pounds), the stems removed and chopped fine, reserving 1 cup, and the caps left whole
12 ounces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, reserving 4 tablespoons of the oil, and the tomatoes minced
1/3 cup finely chopped shallot
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
a pinch of crumbled dried thyme
3 tablespoons heavy cream
freshly grated Parmesan for sprinkling the mushrooms

Preparation

Brush the mushrooms caps with some of the reserved tomato oil and arrange them, stemmed sides down, on the rack of a broiler pan. Broil the mushrooms caps under a preheated broiler about 6 inches from the heat for 2 minutes, or until they are barely softened, and arrange them, stemmed sides up, in one layer on a baking sheet. In a large skillet cook the shallot and the garlic in the remaining reserved oil over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, or until they are softened, stir in the reserved mushroom stems, the tomatoes, the thyme, and salt and pepper to taste, and cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick. Stir in the cream and salt and pepper to taste, divide the mixture among the mushroom caps, and sprinkle it with the Parmesan. Bake the stuffed mushrooms in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 12 to 18 minutes, or until the filling is heated through.
Old February 25, 2009   #63
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Chilean Sea Bass with Sun Dried Tomatoes

Two 8 oz pieces Chilean Sea Bass

Poaching Liquid
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 Tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 cup water

Sauce
1 pound,diced paste tomatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup chopped white onion
1/2 Tsp Italian seasoning
3 Tbsp capers
4 anchovy fillets
1 Tsp garlic
2/3 cup Calamata olives
1/2 cup Julienne Sun Dried Tomatoes in oil
Salt and pepper to taste

PREPERATION
In a saute pan, add water, wine, Italian seasoning; poach fish until done (approximately 3 minutes each side).
Remove fish and keep warm.
Discard poaching liquid.
In a saute pan add olive oil, garlic, onions, anchovies.
Stir and heat until garlic is golden brown.
Add diced tomatoes, white wine, Italian seasoning and simmer until liquid is reduced by 1/3.
Add pitted Calamata olives, capers and sun dried tomatoes.
Stir and simmer for approximately 5 minutes on medium heat.
Plate fish and place sauce over and under fish.
Serve with crisp French baguette.
Old February 25, 2009   #64
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Risotto with Sun Dried Tomatoes Or Sun Dried Peppers!

Risotto (slightly different than the other Risotto Recipe)

This recipe comes via Australia. It can be made with either sun-dried tomatoes or sun-dried red peppers. (Or capsicums as they are called "Down Under") We subsitituted 1 cup morel mushrooms and it was excellent.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
3 (14oz) cans vegetable broth
1/4 cup white wine
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced finely
1 cup sun dried tomatoes or peppers sliced finely
Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper

Chop mushrooms, fry in 1 Tbl oil on medium heat until cooked through and set aside. In large frypan, fry the rest of oil, garlic, onion and sun-dried tomatoes until onion is soft. Add rice, stir. Add the wine and one can of broth. Stir and let simmer on low heat for approx. 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more stock as the rice absorbs it. (You may not need all of the broth.) Serve scattered with parmesan and cracked pepper.
Old February 25, 2009   #65
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Tango Pasta

Tango Pasta
2 cups finely diced paste tomatoes, seeds and skins removed (or substitute 3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil)
2 cups of any kind of sweet peppers, seeds and white matter removed, finely diced.
2 Cans Chicken Broth
Hot Chilies of your choice (We like it spicey so I add three diced Jalapeno's)
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 tsp Dried Red Chili's
2 Large Boneless, skinlees Chicken Breasts diced small.
1 Cup Dry White Wine
1 Cube Real Butter.

Add Olive Oil to large skillet. Saute tomatoes and peppers until not quite cooked through. Add diced Chicken Breasts, saute until done. Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half.

Serve over Pasta of your choice. This is "ZINGY" and one of my families all time favorite meals and the one they request the most.
Old February 25, 2009   #66
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Chicken Enchiladas with Roasted Tomatillo Chile Salsa

This is an AMAZING recipe and when combined with the Spicey Black Beans and the Yellow Rice, a full on Mexican feast.

Chicken Enchiladas with Roasted Tomatillo Chile Salsa
Ingredients
Roasted Tomatillo Chile Salsa:

1 pound tomatillos, husked
1 white onion, peeled, sliced, quartered or whole
4 garlic cloves
2 jalapenos
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1/2 lime juiced
Enchiladas:

olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock, storebought
Chopped cilantro leaves
About 3 pounds, boned, Chicken meat (I prefer breasts( boiled until tender, shredded
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
10 large flour tortillas
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese shredded
2 cups sour cream
Chopped tomatoes and cilantro leaves, for garnish
Spicy Black Beans, recipe follows
Yellow Rice, recipe follows
Guacamole, optional

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
For the salsa:

On a baking tray, roast tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapenos for 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the roasted vegetables and any juices on the bottom of the tray to a food processor. Add the cumin, salt, cilantro, and lime juice and pulse mixture until well combined but still chunky.
Enchiladas:

Meanwhile heat a 2 count of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and caramelized - this should take 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin then cook for a further minute. Sprinkle on the flour and stir to ensure the flour doesn't burn then gradually add the chicken stock to make a veloute. Continue stirring over a low simmer until the flour cooks and the liquid thickens. Turn off the heat, add half of the roasted tomatillo chile salsa, some additional fresh chopped cilantro and fold in the shredded chicken meat. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Change the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees F and begin assembling the dish. Take a large baking dish and smear the bottom with some of the reserved tomatillo salsa. Now take the flour tortillas and briefly flash them over the stove-top flame (or put them briefly under the broiler if using an electric stove). Using a shallow bowl, coat each tortilla lightly with the reserved salsa mix. Put a scoop of the shredded chicken-enchilada mix on top of the tortilla followed by a sprinkle of the shredded cheese. Fold the tortilla over the filling and roll like a cigar to enclose it. Using a spatula place the tortillas in the baking dish and continue to do the same with all the tortillas. Finally pour over some more of the salsa and top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until bubbly and cracked on top. Garnish, cilantro and tomato.
Serve hot with Spicy Black Beans and Yellow Rice, the remaining tomatillo salsa, sour cream and fresh guacamole, if desired.

Spicy Black Beans:

2 cups (about 1 pound) dried black beans, picked over, soaked overnight
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
Sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot, soak beans overnight covered in water by 2 inches. Drain and set aside.
In the same pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and bay leaf and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and cover with water by about 1-inch. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Taste the beans and season with salt and pepper.

Yellow Rice:
  • 2 cups long-grain rice
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 bay leaf
Put all the ingredients into a heavy-bottomed pot, stir well, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook over low heat until the rice has absorbed the water, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Discard the garlic and bay leaf, fluff with a fork, and serve.

Perfect Guacamole Recipe
Ingredients

2 ripe avocados
½ red onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
1-2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
2 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
A dash of freshly grated black pepper
1 ripe paste tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
Garnish with red radishes or jicama. Serve with tortilla chips.

Method

Cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out avacado from the peel, put in a mixing bowl.

Using a fork, mash the avocado. Add the chopped onion, cilantro, lime or lemon, salt and pepper and mash some more. Chili peppers vary individually in their hotness. So, start with a half of one chili pepper and add to the guacamole to your desired degree of hotness. Be careful handling the peppers; wash your hands thoroughly after handling and do not touch your eyes or the area near your eyes with your hands for several hours.

Keep the tomatoes separate until ready to serve.

Remember that much of this is done to taste because of the variability in the fresh ingredients. Start with this recipe and adjust to your taste.

Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole to prevent oxidation from the air reaching it. Refrigerate until ready.

Just before serving, add the chopped tomato to the guacamole and mix.
Old February 25, 2009   #67
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default MOLE AMARILLO DE OAXACA (Yellow Mole of Oaxaca)

MOLE AMARILLO DE OAXACA (Yellow Mole of Oaxaca)

THE BEST!

Traditionally served over chicken pieces, enchiladas or as a dipping sauce for small tamales.
8 fresh chiles, roasted, peeled, deveined and chopped1 raw onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 lb. tomatillos, husked, simmered and drained
1 medium onion, roasted
1 head garlic, roasted
1 cinnamon stick, toasted
1 t dried oregano or 2 t fresh
6 whole cloves, toasted
2 medium tomatoes, roasted and peeled
1/2 c. cooking oil
2 T sesame oil
1 slice raw onion
generous pinch of saffron
1/2 c. tortilla dough4 c. strong chicken broth
Saute chiles, raw onion and garlic until soft. Puree and set aside.
Puree tomatillos, roasted onion, garlic, cinnamon, oregano, cloves and tomatoes.
Heat oils in heavy skillet. Add onion slice and brown. Stir in tomatillo mixture and cook about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the fat separates and rises to the top. Stir in chile mixture and simmer about 1 hour or until mixture thickens. Fat on top may be skimmed off.
Crumble and dissolve saffron in warm chicken broth. Dissolve tortilla dough in the broth. Add to the mole and simmer about 20 minutes until texture of custard, stirring often.
Old February 26, 2009   #68
Penny
Tomatovillian™

OMG more YUMMY recipes!!
Have you ever thought of a cookbook?
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2009   #69
Jackster
Tomatovillian™

Any good soup recipes?
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2009   #70
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Any good soup recipes?
Jackster, I will post this one on the soup thread:Tuscan Garbanzo and Sun Dried Tomato Soup Recipe
Old February 26, 2010   #71
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Melanzane(mey laan ZAN ehh) Parmigiana Siciliano ( Eggplant Parmigiana Sicilian Styl

Melanzane (Eggplant) alla Parmigiana Siciliano

Eggplant Parmigiana is Sicilian in origin and is found in various guises all over the island. I am a vegertarian and this is one of my absolute favorite meals!
  • 4 large eggplant
  • oil for frying
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 15 roma or other sauce tomatos, peeled, seeds removed, chopped into quarters.
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a handful of basil leaves, roughly torn
  • 4 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Slice the eggplant into rounds, place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave to disgorge for about an hour. In a medium skillet, sweat the onion and the garlic in a little oil and add the tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook over a medium heat until the sauce is thick and glossy. Heat 1/2-inch of oil in a large skillet and when it is very hot, add the slices of eggplant and fry until golden brown, then drain on paper towels. Cover the bottom of a gratin dish with a little of the tomato sauce. Place the slices of eggplant in the gratin dish, cover with tomato sauce, basil leaves, and grated Parmesan. Repeat this process until all the eggplant is used up, finishing with a generous layer of Parmesan. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Serve at room temperature
Old August 15, 2011   #72
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Broiled Shrimp with Feta, Orzo & Tomatoes

Tomatoes add bright color and sweet flavor to this pasta and shrimp dish. If you don’t have feta you can top the shrimp with grated Parmesan or pecorino, or leave them bare.

I’m a crispy kinda girl, so I always pat my shrimp dry with a paper towel before broiling or pan-searing so they brown better. Buy whatever size shrimp is on sale—if using smaller shrimp, just shave the cooking time by a few minutes so you don’t overcook them. And if you don’t have feta, don’t stress it—you can top the shrimp with grated Parmesan or pecorino, or leave them bare.
Dollars to Donuts: Comfort Food and Kitchen Wisdom from Route 66's Landmark Rock Cafe by Dawn Welch and Raquel Pelzel (Rodale Books); copyright 2009

Ingredients
1 pound medium IQF shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed 1 1/4 cups orzo pasta
5 tablespoons olive oil One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
3 garlic cloves, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
2 1/2 teaspoons salt 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Yield: 4 Servings

Directions
Prep: 15 min Total: 45 min
Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Stir together 1 tablespoon olive oil, about one-third of the garlic, 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt, and a pinch of black pepper in a bowl. Mix in the shrimp and marinate for 10 minutes.
Stir 2 teaspoons of the salt into a large pot of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook until al dente, then drain. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and set aside.
Adjust an oven rack to the upper- most position (the rack should be about 3" from the broiler) and heat the broiler to high. Meanwhile, place the tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 11⁄2 tablespoons olive oil and add the remaining garlic, the basil or oregano, the red-pepper flakes, the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste. Stir to combine, and then spread the mixture out in an even layer. Scatter the shrimp over the tomatoes in a single layer. Broil until the edges of the shrimp are beginning to brown and the shrimp are opaque throughout, 5 to 6 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
Divide the orzo among four bowls. Stir the shrimp into the tomatoes and spoon the mixture over each serving of orzo. Sprinkle with feta, drizzle with the remaining 11⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, and serve.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2011   #73
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quick Chicken Cacciatore

Have dinner on the table in twenty minutes with the speedy version of this classic chicken and tomato dish.

Ingredients
4 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch strips
1 teaspoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 16-ounce can peeled tomatoes
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 large green pepper chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 chopped medium onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil

Directions

Prep: 20 min Total:

Spray skillet with nonstick spray
Preheat pan over heat
Add chicken, and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes, or until no longer pink
Reduce heat
Add tomatoes and their juice, tomato sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, mushrooms, oregano, basil, parsley and salt
Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 10 minutes
Serve over rice, pasta or potato.
Old August 15, 2011   #74
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Baked Chicken with Onion, Garlic and Tomatoes

This dish is started on the stove and finished in the oven, giving it rich, slow-cooked flavor. Serve with a simple side of rice or spaghetti with garlic and olive oil.

from The Illustrated Quick Cook

Ingredients
8 chicken pieces, skin on, about 1¾ lb (800 g) total
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp olive oil
6 bacon slices, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 celery ribs, finely chopped
3 carrots, finely chopped
½ cup dry white wine
1 x 14 oz (400 g) can diced tomatoes, with juices
1¼ cups hot vegetable or chicken stock
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Prep: 5 min Total: 15 min (Quick)
Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C). Season the chicken well with salt and pepper, then dust with the flour.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large cast iron or other flameproof casserole over high heat. Add the chicken pieces, skin-side down, along with the bacon, and cook the chicken for 10-15 minutes, turning once, until golden. Remove the chicken and bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside.

Reduce the heat to low, and add the remaining oil to the casserole with the onion and a pinch of sea salt. Cook for 5 minutes until soft, then add the garlic, celery, and carrots. Cook for 5-6 minutes longer, until soft.

Increase the heat to high once again and add the wine. Let bubble for a few minutes until the smell of alcohol evaporates. Add the tomatoes and their juices and pour in the stock. Boil gently for a few minutes more, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and return the chicken and bacon to the casserole. Spoon the tomato sauce over the chicken, cover, and transfer to the oven to cook for about 1 hour. Add more stock or if it appears dry. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.
Old August 15, 2011   #75
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Strip Steaks with Tomato-Mint Salsa

Strip steaks are an ideal weeknight meal — they cook in minutes, and each steak serves one person. This summery tomato-mint salsa adds bright freshness and a little heat thanks to the jalapeno.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 strip steaks, about 1/2-inch thick
Salt and pepper
2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced jalapeno (or to taste)
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped mint
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste

Directions

Total: 30 min (Quick)

In a large frying pan over medium-high, heat the canola oil. Salt and pepper both sides of each steak. Saute steaks until brown and cooked medium-rare, about 3 minutes on each side, depending on the steaks' thickness. If the pan isn't large enough to comfortably hold all four steaks, saute them in batches, holding the cooked steaks in a 250-degree oven until ready to serve.

To prepare the salsa, in a large bowl stir together the remaining ingredients. Taste for seasoning, adding salt or pepper if necessary.

Top the steaks with the salsa and serve.