Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 27, 2017   #256
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The tomatoes in the picture really look like cocktail tomatoes. But this is because this year's weather was extremely sunny, warm and dry. Tomato fruit ripened before they grew to their usual size. They are about 30% smaller. The only Czech cocktail hybrid tomato with excellent taste is Bejbino F1. New Galant F1 lacks good taste.
Vladimír
PS.: The picture is Bejbino F1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0955.jpg (235.4 KB, 243 views)
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #257
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Bower, thank you for your advice. I'm not a great chef, but I dared for that baked sauce. A month ago, the son bought a 75,- Kč ($ 3 US dollar) baking electric pot in the sale at a ridiculous price. So I put the tomatoes there and the others gave them and in half an hour I had a sauce which I then mixed. Yum. Today I will continue, I will make the sauce of all the tomatoes I had in the hotbet and are already very rally. Thank you once again.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1228.jpg (345.3 KB, 234 views)
Old September 4, 2017   #258
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
... In my opinion, these tomatoes are not suitable for home gardening.
Hi Vladimir, I hope you are well. I see things a bit differently than you wrt the CZ hybrids. For me this summer - also hot & very dry - the CZ hybrids delivered ripe fruit earlier than their American hybrid counterparts, and imho, there are a couple of gems. Here are my rankings & thoughts:

Will grow again:
1. Start S F1 - 57 DTM - This is my favourite because the taste is #2 (of the CZ) and it is the earliest. Much better taste than Toro F1, also Burpee's Fourth of July & Early Treat, and all of the 5 Stupické varieties I grew this year.
2. Uragan F1 - 63 DTM - Taste is #1 of the CZ, imho better than Start S. The first & only seed to germ. took 19 days. The taste is as good as the mid-season US hybrids, and it is earlier than all of them.
3. Toro F1 - 59 DTM - Taste is #3 of the CZ. The plants are very vigorous and for me more productive than Start S. We made some early/tasty tomato soup from these.

Will not grow again:
4. Gallant F1 - 71 DTM - A very beautiful plant with piles of thick skinned, tasteless fruit. Disappointing.
5. Charmant F1 - 58 DTM - Not a sweet cherry, so of limited interest for me. Flavour is just ok, similar to Juliet F1.

I did not grow Rubinka.

Seed planting date was Apr 16, and plant out date was Jun 3 (6.9 week window).

rg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (21.5 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by RJGlew; September 4, 2017 at 03:08 AM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #259
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Robert, I'm glad you like some of these Czech tomatoes. This year I was not happy with them All fruits were significantly smaller than usual . Maybe it's a way of growing, weather, I do not know. I tasted them only at the beginning of the season, not all of them were mature enough, I was disappointed. Then I did not worry about them, because I had a big heart and big Spanish beefstaeks. I'm going to compare tastes now in the late of season.
Uragan F1 - I've had the same seed germination problems, I'm going to buy new seeds in the autumn, and I'll send you them along with other StartF1 and Toro F1 seeds (I do not know if you have enough of them).
Vladimír
PS.: Rubinka was the biggest disappointment for me. All the fruits cracked, and to this day I did not taste a good tomato.
I agree with your rating of Charmant F1 and Gallant F1
Old January 2, 2021   #260
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I would like to introduce you to my favorite variety tomato Start F1. I grow several plants every year because it is my tastiest variety. My friend RJGlew from Calgatra (1045 m) wrote:
"I have replaced all of my golf ball sized earlies like Fourth of July F1 and Early Treat F1 with Start S F1 since it is only a few days later, and the taste is very much better".
For me and many of us here in the Czech Republic, this tomato with a strong tomato taste and yet sweet enough is practically irreplaceable. I don't know the tastier red tomato. It's not an OP tomato, but I think it's really a legacy. This year he is 40 years old and despite the fact that a number of new hybrids have been bred in our country, none of them has reached the same taste quality as this veteran. Father - Bulgarian line M 21 with a strong aromatic taste, mother Stupice with RL.
It is a pity that this great tomato (it also has its flaws) is practically unknown in the world. I would like to allow those interested to grow this tomato and taste it. That is why I offer a few seeds to interested. No exchange required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0049.jpg (100.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg Start F1.jpg (167.4 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Star 28072014 1.jpg (164.1 KB, 147 views)
Old January 2, 2021   #261
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I'd be glad to give it a test in my garden!
biscuitridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2021   #262
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
I'd be glad to give it a test in my garden!
Anyone who will be interested write me a PM. You do not have to send your postal address yet. I just need to know how many seeds I have to provide. I also made this offer on Facebook in the OUr Tomatoes group and on the other sites.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; January 2, 2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old January 3, 2021   #263
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I would like to introduce you to my favorite variety tomato Start F1. I would like to allow those interested to grow this tomato and taste it. That is why I offer a few seeds to interested. No exchange required.
Vladimir, this is an exceptionally generous offer from you, and I hope folks here on TV take the opportunity to try Start S F1. I am in Zone 3a and it grows very well here, ripening right after Stupické Polní Rané and Bloody Butcher. The taste is much better than either of those two, and imho also much better than Burpee's Fourth of July F1 and Early Treat F1, which are the North American varieties I see it aligned with on the earliness scale.

I have included a couple of pictures I took when I first grew Start S alongside Fourth of July in 2017. In the pictures, FoJ is on the left, and Start S is on the right. The three white marks on the shoulders of the Start S fruit are from hail damage - unfortunately Calgary is located in the North American "hail alley." Vladimir, your pictures of it are so much better than mine! The cut picture reveals that Start S is substantially more meaty than FoJ. For me Start S ripens only a few days later than FoJ but is significantly more productive and overall a better tomato, so it's all I grow now in that early post Stupice ripening window.

I was not aware of the lineage - "Father - Bulgarian line M 21 with a strong aromatic taste, mother Stupice with RL." Thank you for providing that.

rg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Start vs FoJ.jpg (40.6 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Start vs FoJB.jpg (40.6 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by RJGlew; January 3, 2021 at 12:56 AM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2021   #264
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello RJ,
I hope to become the support staff in Vladimír's project. I am as patriotic as him, proud of both our country and Start F1. Moreover, my wife's brother and his family live in Calgary and I've been there. So I roughly know what conditions you are speaking about.
I have some linguistic questions today. I suppose RL stands for "potato-like" leaves, but what is the English word behind the "R", robust? And, as you often use it, what's "imho"? Thank you.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2021   #265
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

RL- regular leaf; PL- potato leaf.
Vladimír
Old January 3, 2021   #266
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Vladimír,
does that mean that there's Stupice with RL instead of PL? Ooops, I didn't know that. But of course, there are so many things I will never know.
Milan HP
Old January 3, 2021   #267
littleukgarden
Tomatovillian™

IMHO in my honest opinion? Not sure if it means something else in tomato talk - if so it’s new to me! But that’s what I’ve always interpreted it as
littleukgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2021   #268
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

IMHO can also mean in my humble opinion.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2021   #269
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

As we all know, one variety of RL and the other PL cannot be used in the production of F1 seeds, because the offspring would be diverse (J.G Mendel, abbot in the Brno monastery). When J. Homolka made a cross (Mikado x Rheinland Rhums x Solanum racimegrum) he got the offspring of both RL and PL. Both stabilized and the Stupice and Stupická Greenhouses (PL) and RL Ostravské rané arose. In the 1950s, these were commercial varieties sold in Czechoslovakia. To this day, only those with PL have remained copolymer, Ostravské rané has not been sold for a long time, but is used by Moravoseed and SEMO for the production of Start F1. in my description I used this Stupice RL as such an abbreviation to make it clear what this tomato pedigree has. Sometimes I came across the sale of seeds of Ostravská rané, but I always got PL plants from it, ie Stupice. I asked about it here at Tomatoville and was told that I would find it difficult to find a plant grown from these seeds that would be RL (I think Bower wrote it). So I quit those attempts.
Vladimír
PS.: Yesterday I ordered and paid for 10 g of Start F1 seeds from Moravoseed. It should be about 3000 seeds, which I divide into some bags of ten seeds (300 bags). I will transfer the bags to the USA and Canada. Mike from Iowa and MissS, which you know for sure, offered me from the USA. For Canada, I'm counting on RJGlew (I haven't had time to write to him yet) and maybe someone else, depending on how many people there will be. They will send the way Tormato uses MMMM. I will send out in Europe myself, the MMMM method cannot be used. Of course, I will forward all your requests to Mike and ...............

Last edited by MrBig46; January 4, 2021 at 04:39 AM.
Old January 4, 2021   #270
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Thank you.
I'll double the Hs and then it will mean "in my honest humble opinion".

Milan HP