Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Tomatopalooza™ event information and discussion forum. Held annually in the Raleigh-Durham, NC area.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 2, 2013   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Tomatopalooza 2013 (#11) will most likely not happen...

As a large, organized event (such as we've had the past half dozen years or so), it just can't happen this year for many reasons....all those involved in organizing it in recent years are facing health or availability issues. We've had a remarkable run - ten years - and it grew from a small gathering at a local park into something that ended up being discussed in magazines and books and drew people far and wide. In fact, this year it is a victim of its success - the number of attenders/tasters ended up far outnumbering the organizing staff and actual participants (meaning donation of tomatoes to taste).

So it is indeed a great time to take a pause and see what that brings.....if it is meant to happen again in the future, I am sure people will emerge that wish to support and drive the event, but it will also take major rethinking strategically so that it has a more certain foundation, especially in terms of tomato supply..

All of those involved really enjoyed it - but we also enjoyed it much more early on. Speaking for myself, the last few years felt more like work than something to enjoy. Too much pressure to supply tomatoes - and I can't even remember the last one that I got to taste and ponder and think about what I was tasting, rather than fret about how the day was going or guard the Dwarf table!

But, again, speaking for myself, I am grateful for all those who contributed over the years - by coming long distances, bringing tomatoes, slicing, discussing - it was an amazing run indeed!