Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 24, 2014   #1
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default Do I need to totally change my soil every year?

I plant in huge home depot green buckets. Last year I changed the soil using a combination of miracle grow potting soild and compost and manure. Its expensive. Question: Can I get away with adding or changing the top layers or do I need to empty out the entire buckets this and start fresh?
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2014   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hello,

If you had no disease problems last year, go ahead and re-use your potting mix. I think most of us do. I moisten it, stir it up and top it up each year with fresh compost and granular slow release fertilizer and then plant as usual.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2014   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

this subject has been discussed in length on this site and others. Not all agree...but I tend to think like Karen. I usually re-use mine with new added. Like K said...no past diseases allowed.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2014   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Like many others I recondition my container soils each year. I dig out the big roots in the fall and remove them as well as any aboveground tomato parts. Almost all fungal diseases survive on plant debris, so it's important to remove that. The small bits of root disappear pretty quickly if you have a few worms in the tub. I add fresh compost and chopped up kelp, a bit of lime if needed... ready to replant.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2014   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
I plant in huge home depot green buckets.
Curious, what do these buckets look like and what is 'huge?'
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2014   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I just dump out the previous years container soil into a big wheel barrow/garden trailer in the early spring and spread it out in the sun and let it dry out a few weeks. I assume the UV and the drying helps zap at least some disease, in any case I haven't had bad problems doing it this way.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014   #7
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

they sell them in every Home Depot. They are green in color, plastic and its takes roughly 2 cu feet of miracle grow potting soil to fill one.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014   #8
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Are those the sub irrigated pots?

I'd bought 3 of them last year. They were fine for the season, but I discovered that UV exposure compromised the plastic. At the end of the season, one of them split in half. The other two were fine, but as I tried to prepare them more splits happened. Cheap is expensive, as they say.